Oh No! Not another 2 minutes silence.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Queensman, Jul 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As sorry and appalled as I am at the horrific deaths of the poor unfortunates murdered by Muslim terrorists a week ago in our capital city, I simply do not agree with now apparently fashionable urge to stand around in embarrassed huddles in shopping malls and supermarkets observing periods of silence. It is insincere and ungenuine and, worse, 'devalues the currency' of the National period of Remembrance held to mark Armistice Day.

Grief is a personal thing. Give the families their dead and let them mourn in private and with dignity. The rest of us can offer support and sympathy should it be needed or asked for.

I pray for the souls of the recently departed, and for the families they have left behind; also for the emergency services working in horrendous conditions to recover both the dead and evidence to help convict the guilty.
  2. 2nd Foot, I think this has been coverd in a previous thread. Your views are however, IMHO, quite right.
  3. Well, for once the occasion merited it. But I am very uncomfortable with being "told how to grieve" and what is effectively an orchestrated mass display of "emotion" a bit like a demonstration in China or something. I work in London and was unwilling to find myself herded out into the street to stand there for the two minutes. I'm afraid I hid in the toilet for some personal reflection.
  4. My boss is a born-again Christian type - you know the sort - has a 'fish thing' on the back of his car and goes on incessantly about all his amazingly boring church BBQs (at which it becomes clear the General's wife helped dole out coleslaw blah blah blah).

Anyway, he put on this utterly vomit-making display of public grief at midday today - full on praying at his desk - managing to be in plain sight whilst pretending to keep his grief 'private'.

What am I trying to say here....I think I'm saying that this sort of thing strikes me as being very un-British and actually detracts from the very real horror and misery the families and loved ones must be feeling right now - an emotion more than one of us here on ARRSE can empathise with.

If the dianification process continues with each successive terrorist outrage (which we are assured is coming), we will end up with people spending more time standing in the street weeping indulgently than we spend actually fighting terror.
  5. couldn't agree more. The Dianafication of every little [and large] tragedy with silence observed is degrading and un-British. This multi-cultural crap with we are all the same mentality and we must put our feelings on display may have been forced down our throats but I refuse to do so. It's obscene.
    I feel better now.
  6. I am most certainly not qualified to judge whether or not a two minute silence should be held, but earlier today I was at the University of Warwick attending my sons Graduation Ceremony. The proceedings stopped at 1200 and everyone stood in a most dignified silence. Those present came from many countries, including a large number from countries far from any part of Europe, yet everybody reacted in the same way and from the conversations I overheard during the day, had the same feelings and emotions as well. Regardless of whether or not it should have been held, it was definitely what people wanted to happen, and I was glad to take my small part in it.
  7. I too disagree with all the extra silences as I like to remember our dead on Rememberance day. However, I was at the great Yorkshire show on a recruiting stand today when we had our 2 mins silence.
    I think it was quite a sight for the civvies to see 40 odd squaddies go from happy go lucky to being lined up and stern faced. I like to think that a few of them might have realised what we stand for and how seriously we take our calling.
    Then again, most of them were probably bitching about having to wait a couple of minutes for the paintball or the zip line...
  8. Was at the GYS today myself and saw your act of respect. Cannot say the same for everyone but I joined in.

That is not to say I agree with public displays of silence other than for Rememberance Day. It was not done after the countless IRA bombings over the years, nor do I agree with piles of flowers to show we care, I would rather give a tenner to the British Legion or some other charity.
  10. "Grief is a personal thing. Give the families their dead and let them mourn in private and with dignity. The rest of us can offer support and sympathy should it be needed or asked for."

Yes, I couldn't put it better.
  11. Oh Jeezus no 8O A former 'boss' (so he did like to think) was one of them too, and one of the most two faced-tw@ts going. Never seen such person who claim to be Christian but had the general consensus that he indeed merited one of those back-neck-slaps. My sympathies.

On topic: Kept stum but continued working - which was no difference to what I had been doing before and after the 2 minute interval.
  12. Agree with all the above, a terrible event and rightly we are shocked by it. However a 2 mins silence seems totally disproportionate, as with archer save that for Nov 11.

Totally agree with the insidious dianafication of UK, I remember very ostentatious expressions of grief at Diana's death and subsequent events, almost as if one must be seen to be grieving and there is something wrong with you if you are not in ashes and sack cloth for someone you have never met and apart from tragic circumstances would not bat an eyelid if they were killed in a motorway pile up for example.

Last Thursday was an horrific and my sympathies are with the families but certainly Queensman heard it right: -

"Grief is a personal thing. Give the families their dead and let them mourn in private and with dignity. The rest of us can offer support and sympathy should it be needed or asked for."
  13. Perhaps should clarify, totally agree that there is unfortunately a dianafication of UK. Find the fact that this is the case mawkish, disengenuos and another expamle of enforced emotion.
  14. This is the sort of thing I believe Boris Johnson was trying to make a point about back a while re insincere stuff in Liverpool. This hand wringing teeth gnashing and wailing isn’t what the British nation is all about IMHO. However, disagree with it and prepare for incoming...
  15. 54 people were killed in the attack last Thursday. The reality is more than that were probably killed in road accidents through the week. The attack was a terrible thing, but needs to be seen in the correct perspective.

We didn't have a silence for the Omagh bombing victims, with a similar number of casualties. Those killed whilst serving in the British Armed Forces in conflicts from 1914 onwards warrant a 2 minute silence; these people went knowingly into danger.

I fully understand the personal grief caused by the attack in London, but I would go further than earlier posters and say that a 2 minute silence could be seen as counter productive. It commemorates the terrorist's attack and can give an impression that they have had a larger impact than they did. The best we can do is just get on with it.

In the future there will no doubt be further attacks and further disasters. In 100 years time we'll all be desperately trying to get on with our lives in the small gaps between silences.