oh for fu...

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by maguire, Sep 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

now I know the whole 'pointless warning label' thing has been pretty well done, here and in other places, but something today has really got me thinking 'wtf????' (along with a packet of honey roasted cashews and peanuts with a label on it saying 'contains nuts'. does it? who would have suspected??)

however...the other thing is, being a reasonably avid computer gamer and having an interest in history, when the game 'Hearts Of Iron III' came up on my Amazon suggestions list, on reading the reviews I thought for a tenner I could probably do worse than giving it a go. (it's a large-scale WWII historical sim basically letting you play as anyone you want from 1936 all the way to 1948. and on the warning/rating label on the sleeve, it says...'contains mild violence'.

I mean, ffs...do people really need this pointing out to them?? what did they think went on between the protagonists in the second world war?? harsh language?? social slights?? jesus wept...

**heads off for a little sit down to try and lower his blood pressure** :?
  2. Some mongs need things spelt out for them...by-product of the nanny state. If you're intelligent it should just float past your head as unnecessary information to be non-absorbed. Need some relaxation techniques Mag?
  3. If you were a real man you wouldn't be reading the manual anyhow.
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

my relaxation technique is fine. a couple of valium and a bottle of Vladivar.

and whats a manual? this was on the sleeve. ;)
  5. 'it's a large-scale WWII historical sim basically letting you play as anyone you want from 1936 all the way to 1948. and on the warning/rating label on the sleeve, it says...'contains mild violence''.

The Spanish Civil War started in 1936, and Soviet, German and Italian forces fought in it. Japan and China went to war in 1937. Both of these events are recognised by historians as contributary causes of WWII.

And bear in mind your game is a 'simulation'. That means that depending on the way you play it, it could be as long or as short as you want. And if it's a strategic-level game (which is what it looks like) you can even make Germany win by avoiding the monotesticular one's mistakes. Not attacking the USSR until you've starved Britain into submission is a top tip.
  6. That's all very well but that guy who got done last week for "cooking" his girlfriends hamster in a microwave - does it say on the microwave " Not to be used for cooking hamsters" ?
    I don't imagine it does,so is that a defence?
  7. It would certainly void the warranty on the hamster, though. Where's the warning label on those little buggers?
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

they do have 'not microwave safe' written on their tails. honest.
  9. Freddy Star knows!
  10. Well actually they have to give it a rating and, for reasons of accountability, have to be able to explain why it's rated as whatever it is. It's better than just censoring things without any justification (controlling what the young have access to without explaining why sounds a bit Chinese to me)
  11. A chap I work with came into work a while back on a shiny new scooter. He said the compartment under the seat where you keep your helmet had a sticker that said "not to be used for storing animals"

12. Not in terms of hamsters. Next time you're walking past it, have a look and see how many a smuggler could fit in there.

What if one of them combusted spontaneously, as they are wont to do?

Carnage might ensue. See where it can lead?
  13. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I know what you're saying - but it is in fact rated as 'E' for 'Everyone' on the suitability thing. I was just a bit boggled by the fact that a strategy game depicting a world war (a world war ffs - not a 'police action' or a 'peacekeeping operation' mind) needed it pointing out that it was 'mildly violent'. I mean, it's a bit bleeding obvious that violence would have come into it somewhere along the line surely?? ;)
  14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

So you may say, however my mrs did in fact smuggle a hamster/gerbil in the same said compartment across the Gib/Spanish border!
  15. I stayed in a small hotel in a small but filthy town the Mekong Delta for several months last year working for an oil company. They were elf n safety mad. There were signs for everything. Hot taps had a label on the wall next to them that said HOT. The ice boxes had: "ICE - COLD". on them. Every vehicle had a sign that said "X PAX MAX" and "RESTRICTED TO 60 Km/H". When one of the vehicles had an accident, all vehicles were restricted to 25 Km/H and so on. I put a sign in the lift which said "NO FISHING" and a pair of old steel toecap boots on the floor with a notice that said "IN EMERGENCY USE BOOTS". As far as I know, they are still there.