Oh dear, so the GDR really wasn't nice then ?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Certainly wasnt a lie that our little Irish friend supported the killing of coalition soldiers in Iraq

"Juba" the Baghdad sniper..strikes again.

He really is a shit.
oh yes, that whopper I remember it well. Mainly because it contains my all time favourite bugs outright lie.
"
I wasn't being particularly serious about it either. And anyway, it's an interest and not an obsession. Albeit an interest with some practical applications. For instance, when you meet the inevitable "ex-member of the SAS", who, upon questioning, turns out to know fuck-all either about guns or the army. Even more practical was an episode that happened to me a couple of months ago.
I was stopped late one evening by some gonzo jumping out of a shop doorway pointing a gun at me. The street was well-lit but deserted. His stance was a bit Hollywoodish but OK, but he was holding a Desert Eagle. Now this is a huge pistol produced in .357 Mag, .44 Mag and .50 AE. I happen to own one in .44 Mag (it's in Switzerland). The weapon weighs over four pounds with mag and the way this geezer was holding it, plus the tiny size of the muzzle, told me it was a toy. So I stepped in, grabbed the gun and slugged him in the gob. Result? Maybe he'll think twice about holding people up and my valuables were still intact. "
The fabled Desert Eagle. not that an MMA God like Bugsy needs one of course

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
What used to worry me about the DDR is the fact that there armed forces were as good as west Germany. I dont know if its true ir not but it was once mentioned that weapons to the DDR were kept to a minimum by the Soviets because they were still scared of any armed Germans, cant blame them really though.
The NVA was a far better and more effective fighting force than the Wessi Army. However, I'm not sure that's true about the Ivans keeping arms to the East Germans to a minimum.

The East German Armed Forces had 370 fighter jets, 2,760 MBTs (main battle tanks), 190 warships, 5,000 artillery, rocket and anti-aircraft systems, 7,000 various wheeled vehicles, 1.3 million weapons, with over 300,000 tonnes of ammunition, and other huge materiel reserves. The police force of the GDR also had weapons, but even more heavily tooled up were the Stasi and the factory combat units. They not only had shotguns, rifles and handguns in abundance (around four million all in all), but also thousands of RPGs, mortars, grenades and various other weapons of war that would've made the heart of any weapon-freak beat faster. Those organisations were disbanded and disarmed shortly after the Fall of the Berlin Wall, with most of their weapons being melted down for scrap, although a goodly portion was expropriated by shady dealers who flogged them in the trouble-spots of the world. Many of the MBTs and other armoured vehicles were in fact given for free to Turkey, that promised not to use them in domestic conflicts and then proceeded to batter the Kurds with them.

MsG

oh yes, that whopper I remember it well. Mainly because it contains my all time favourite bugs outright lie.
"
I wasn't being particularly serious about it either. And anyway, it's an interest and not an obsession. Albeit an interest with some practical applications. For instance, when you meet the inevitable "ex-member of the SAS", who, upon questioning, turns out to know ****-all either about guns or the army. Even more practical was an episode that happened to me a couple of months ago.
I was stopped late one evening by some gonzo jumping out of a shop doorway pointing a gun at me. The street was well-lit but deserted. His stance was a bit Hollywoodish but OK, but he was holding a Desert Eagle. Now this is a huge pistol produced in .357 Mag, .44 Mag and .50 AE. I happen to own one in .44 Mag (it's in Switzerland). The weapon weighs over four pounds with mag and the way this geezer was holding it, plus the tiny size of the muzzle, told me it was a toy. So I stepped in, grabbed the gun and slugged him in the gob. Result? Maybe he'll think twice about holding people up and my valuables were still intact. "
The fabled Desert Eagle. not that an MMA God like Bugsy needs one of course
Well, he's so hard, even the Mafia leave him alone

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/how-to-neuter-an-edl-march.257456/page-55#post-7384391

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
You do know a BTR isn't a tank right me old liar? It doesn't have tracks odd a bloke who claims to have served didn't know that, along with Leopard being West German and all that

He's not a good as he thinks he is, he lost a made up job in his fantasy life for being a penis.

References from prior employers
Awarded £5k at an employment tribunal... is there anything left in this world for him to compile a bucket list with? He has done everything in the entire world that it is humanly possible to do.

Unless he made some of it up which seems unlikely. Why would he?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Awarded £5k at an employment tribunal... is there anything left in this world for him to compile a bucket list with? He has done everything in the entire world that it is humanly possible to do.

Unless he made some of it up which seems unlikely. Why would he?
He missed basic AFV identification while training as a small arms instructing, parachuting, line laying medic apparently.

But he knows all about experimental trains...
I've been on the experimental train at the German test-track in Emsland a number of times and between 2001 and 2004, I also did very extensive translations for Siemens for the Chinese project. You wouldn't believe the complex technology involved in it.
On the face of it, the scheme sounds good, but I'm sure somebody will find something to kill it off, if the costs don't do it.
The Chinese built a completely new system in Schangai, but in the UK the Maglev trains would be in competition with, and parallell to, existing train routes. For that reason alone I suspect it'll die the death. A shame, really.

MsG

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
No concentration camps but please tell us all about Häftlingsfreikauf.

That should clear up any confusion over the peaceable, live and let live attitude of the GDR with its policy of not locking anybody up for their dissenting views.

Oh, please stop writing as though you are a semi literate child with a broken Speak and Spell™.
There is Hohenschönhausen in Berlin, if that does not meet the criteria of a concentration camp, then God knows what does.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
There is Hohenschönhausen in Berlin, if that does not meet the criteria of a concentration camp, then God knows what does.
Don't believe everything you read and hear; especially from that gobshite Hubertus Knabe. One of his standard, maniacal tirades was that the former Stasi nick in Hohenschönhausen actually had a cell with rubber wallpaper! Imagine that! He still uses the con, even after he was made aware early on that "Santa Fu" actually has 24 such cells.

It was definitely a place you didn't want to be, but was it really comparable to a concentration camp? Severe lack of food, no hygiene, ragged and filthy clobber infested with lice, extreme physical labour til you drop? Really?

MsG

Bugsy,

I'm not basing it on anything by any author. I am basing it on having actually visited the place, and its museum. You only have to see the 'U-Boot' cells in the basement, and read the testimonies of the prisoners held there to realise that it is a concentration camp.

It meets all of the descriptions:

Close confinement in isolation.
Interrogation cells.
Poor diet.
Little medical facilities, and some of these were used for torture.
Specifically placing persons classed as enemies of the state in the place, but no ordinary criminal prisoners.
Not permitting outside contact.
No legal representation.
Extra-judicial hearings, that actually broke German law.
Hard labour work.

These are the descriptions of both Dachau and Hohenschonhausen, so how can this place be anything other than a concentration camp?

Bugsy,

I'm not basing it on anything by any author. I am basing it on having actually visited the place, and its museum. You only have to see the 'U-Boot' cells in the basement, and read the testimonies of the prisoners held there to realise that it is a concentration camp.

It meets all of the descriptions:

Close confinement in isolation.
Interrogation cells.
Poor diet.
Little medical facilities, and some of these were used for torture.
Specifically placing persons classed as enemies of the state in the place, but no ordinary criminal prisoners.
Not permitting outside contact.
No legal representation.
Extra-judicial hearings, that actually broke German law.
Hard labour work.

These are the descriptions of both Dachau and Hohenschonhausen, so how can this place be anything other than a concentration camp?
Again, you are allowing facts to get in the way. Bugsy is entirely untroubled by trivial nonsense such as facts.

Bugsy Factoid: He is a world class Airborne Art Restorer.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
For those of a curious bent, who'd like to understand more about the "East German psyche", a book by Wolfgang Engler entitled: "Die Ostdeutschen: Kunde von einem verlorenen Land" and published by the Aufbau Verlag is just the job. It goes from the foundation of the GDR to when it finally broke up. The book also examines the gradual development and changes in the "East German psyche" in the light of social processes and how the various groupings within society interpreted them and the influence, sometimes reciprocal, they had on the "group thinking of the country". It's a bit of a heavy read in places, but all the more worthwhile because of that. I can highly recommend it.

MsG

For those of a curious bent, who'd like to understand more about the "East German psyche", a book by Wolfgang Engler entitled: "Die Ostdeutschen: Kunde von einem verlorenen Land" and published by the Aufbau Verlag is just the job. It goes from the foundation of the GDR to when it finally broke up. The book also examines the gradual development and changes in the "East German psyche" in the light of social processes and how the various groupings within society interpreted them and the influence, sometimes reciprocal, they had on the "group thinking of the country". It's a bit of a heavy read in places, but all the more worthwhile because of that. I can highly recommend it.

MsG
Talking of books, has yours been published yet? I've been keeping my eye on the best sellers list (Fiction section obviously) but I've not seen anything yet.