Oh dear, so the GDR really wasn't nice then ?

Once the demonstrations and protests in 1989 couldn’t be deafed out anymore, or dismissed as just a “few misguided dissidents”, your man Honecker there suggested (around about the end of September/beginning of October, if I mind it correctly) that it might be a good policy (eine Einschüchterungstaktik) to send dense columns of MBTs down the main streets in Leipzig, just to put the eebie-jeebies up the populace, remind them of 1953, and give folks something to seriously think about. He was forcefully reminded that they’d do a real and radical number on the cobblestones with their all-steel tracks and give folks even more cause for complaint.
It's like you were there Bugsy. Come on tell us more.

It's like you were there Bugsy. Come on tell us more.
Actually he was a BRIXMIS double agent pretending to be a Nark, he would secretly pass information onto the tour, such valuable stuff as Erich Honecker's shoe size, the tyre pressure of Trabants and the colour of GDR tanks.

Actually he was a BRIXMIS double agent pretending to be a Nark, he would secretly pass information onto the tour, such valuable stuff as Erich Honecker's shoe size, the tyre pressure of Trabants and the colour of GDR tanks.

Trade secret here. The various numbers printed on tyres are of intelligence value.

Don't tell anyone, though.

What most probably changed his mind was that there were hundreds of former NVA members who were specially trained during the Cold War to banjo the M60s, Centurions and Chieftains of the Septics and Brits – meaning it would be a doddle for them to do the very same to their own Soviet MBTs, which they knew inside-out. Honni then decided that maybe it wasn’t such a good idea after all.
Riiiigghhhtttt.

Tank killing is so easy, isn't it.

You pillock. If there was one thing not on Honecker's mind it would have been the ad hoc volksturm taking out tanks en masse on the streets.

.........you just going through the motions again?

......that's poo ;)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Bugsy's little outburst the other night got me thinking.
How to answer the above questions.
Was I there?.......Yes
Was I part of Brixmis?.....Yes
Have I any idea what I am talking about?......Yes

And just to prove (unlike Bugsy) I am not Billy Liar, I've had a dig round some old paperwork and found this:

View attachment 297622

It's a hotel bill from the Astoria in Leipzig. Bugsy, you might find the date interesting.
The rest of you might find the mini bar bill interesting, and yes I did make a few drunken phone calls as well.

Who looks a "pathetic, cluffing bunt" now Bugsy?
I do hope you aren't holding your breath waiting for an apology

Actually Busgy I was in Brixmis for 5 years. I worked in the Special Section leaving at the very end of '89. I was also in Leipzig in early October '89 on a Cultural tour staying at the Astoria hotel and met and talked to some of the Neus Forum protestors.
I can of course verify all this and would be happy to do so in a private conversation with Brotherton Lad (persec) Who was a tour officer in the early part of my posting.
Unlike you I am not prone to lies and BS in order to big myself up and up until now have kept my Brixmis history quiet, however your post above has minded me to out you as the sad lying idiot that you are.
Glatt erwischt (und nicht zum ersten Mal) indeed. No need to apologise.
What a gorgeous reply

Former Stasi Officers Coming Out of the Shadows | Germany| News and in-depth reporting from Berlin and beyond | DW | 24.04.2006

"Former members of East Germany's notorious secret police, the Stasi, have increased their public profile recently, insisting that they are being libeled by the larger society. Former Stasi victims are outraged."

"They want to influence the younger generation," said Bernd Stichler, head of the Association of the Victims of Stalinism, who himself was put in jail on three occasions by the Stasi. "They've had some success, because many young people don't know much about the history of the East German regime."

"Immediately after the fall of the wall, the GDR was seen much more critically by East Germans," said the Free University's Schroeder. "But after the nostalgia wave took off in the mid 1990s, the focus has been on East Germany as a model social welfare state, not as a dictatorship."

That softening of attitudes, he adds, has made it easier for ex-Stasi officers, who disappeared into retirement or other careers after the fall of the Berlin Wall, to resurface and make their controversial claims loud and clear.

"They're doing nothing less than fighting for approval," he said.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Former Stasi Officers Coming Out of the Shadows | Germany| News and in-depth reporting from Berlin and beyond | DW | 24.04.2006

"Former members of East Germany's notorious secret police, the Stasi, have increased their public profile recently, insisting that they are being libeled by the larger society. Former Stasi victims are outraged."

"They want to influence the younger generation," said Bernd Stichler, head of the Association of the Victims of Stalinism, who himself was put in jail on three occasions by the Stasi. "They've had some success, because many young people don't know much about the history of the East German regime."

"Immediately after the fall of the wall, the GDR was seen much more critically by East Germans," said the Free University's Schroeder. "But after the nostalgia wave took off in the mid 1990s, the focus has been on East Germany as a model social welfare state, not as a dictatorship."

That softening of attitudes, he adds, has made it easier for ex-Stasi officers, who disappeared into retirement or other careers after the fall of the Berlin Wall, to resurface and make their controversial claims loud and clear.

"They're doing nothing less than fighting for approval," he said.
My, my. That's an interesting article. And it's only 12 years old. Any more news about WWII? Has it ended yet?

MsG

Ah, the "Sword and Shield" speaks.......Bugsy, give up.........You're the Tesco Value version of those on the other end of the political extreme who keep making excuses for the SS, your chosen dogma was corrupt, criminal, murderous and thoroughly discredited last century - you should be over it by now

And Marxism is a Victorian era concept........hoist with his own petard .......