Oh Dear Oh Dear

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by B_AND_T, Nov 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I'm a REMF! Yep I hold my hands up and admit it, a REMF and a happy one. I have never been one of them, although I met a bloke in a pub once who had a aunt who lived near Hereford or was it Herford?

I am a member of a Corps. I have had the honour of serving with RTR, Inf, REME AC Wksp, RLC and Arty.

I have just been away playing soldiers for a little while and from this little excursion one thing really hit home. Why is it, that the less front line the unit the more they are interested in playing soldiers!

The Inf, Tankies etc do it because it's their job, but they don't make a big deal of it. In - Out job done.

So why is it then that I have spent some time with a non teeth arm unit, where a good percentage of the personnel walk around more tooled up than RAMBO at a surplus store sale.

Don't get me wrong I understand the soldier first, tradesman second principle. But FFS :roll:

Is it a form of Walting?

2. You can't beat the old storeman or the fat MT wallah types cutting about in their para smocks, chest rigs with nothing in it, cut down jungly hats and carrying a big fcuk off knife.

3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Were you there with me??

4. Too right its a form of walting, I've noticed in the RLC that certain seniors give it large about having soldiering skills yet when its time for them to crawl through the mud and get wet they "let" a corporal take their place so he can have a go at doing a senior role. I've also noticed how certain people are leading authorities on how to do a infanteers job (mainly because they have read bravo two zero) yet when a para/booty/anglian comes over to give us advice its usually the opposite of what we have been told.

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

All that bravado, and no place to use it. That's the problem, but also the bonus. God help them or anyone else if they actually had to USE that £200 bowie!

You'll find that the more swtiched on REMFS don't actually have empty chest rigs, they contain toilet paper and a spare set of cruds in cased things get a little er, warm.

6. whilst stuff like this does go on, may I just point out that in the sandy places, REMFS have often come under fire and done themselves proud

now, back to the slagging

7. With you?! I was to one with the highly polished Matterhorn boots and a Tac-Vest full of Mars bars.

8. BT

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

True - slagging aside, when push has indeed come to shove, the REMFs, rather than digging out the old bowie, or running like fcuk in the opposite direction, have continued to cook in blown up kitchens, whilst everyone has been in cover.

Fair play. They do with ladles what other men fear to do with rifles.

10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Not at present but I have been in the past??????

11. Me too and I know the types you're on about. You'll always get them; it's part of the REMF mentality :roll:

12. depends on the units 'fancy dress' policy

most should keep the 'add ons' in check, but yes the all the gear no idea blokes (especially nigs) do get annoying...

13. This has been going on for ages. My first unit spent its entire years training budget going to vogelsang. where we used SLR's and LMG's (weapons most of us were unlikely to be issued) with the entire unit doing an infantry role.
    Fun? Oh yes - setting fire to the range over the lake, CQB down the stream with SMG etc.
    Worthwhile? Well I didn't see the point of travelling all that way and spend half our time doing the ATD's (as they were then) that could have been done in camp.

Can an entire unit be said to have collectively walted?

Then again that unit had enough walts of its own, 'SAS ********' the MT Sgt who was convinved he was badged 'them' (he had been in their MT I belive) and used to sneak about camp trying to catch out the patrolling guard by hiding in bushes with a large stick that looked like an AK47.

14. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Thus has it always been.
    When I was with the elite 7th Combat area(Forward operating) Light Special Dhobi Service, as a highly trained and deadly commando/trooper, we naturally were armed to the teeth. And with teeth too, except for Bob the Gum, but he could kill with his sucking.
    I personally carried a Super Powered, Magnum 8.99 mm semi-automatic, self loading and occasional self -firing rifle, with two underslung grenade launchers, a .5 calibre sub-machine gun, slung over left shoulder, a 6 bore five barreled shotgun (sawn off) over right shoulder, and a ,55in self loading pistol in a belt rig. This was set off by a 16" double edged Green River knife, and tucked in each sleeve, a 7" Razor sharp underwarer throwing knife.
    We carried these each and every day of that long and dangerous operation, and our losses were minimised. It was such a releif to leave the torrid, dangerous and threatening environs of The Planetarium!

15. Leave REMFs alone - those stacks of blankets can put your back out !!