OFT says politicians to blam for high petrol prices

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Wordsmith, Jan 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Lots of MP's frothing at the mouth after the Office of Fair Trading stated that if you looked at petrol prices without taxes, the UK has some of the cheapest petrol in Europe. However, once you add on taxes, we have some of the most expensive (my bold).

Ministers to blame for high fuel prices, says competition watchdog - Telegraph

You can see why MP's are frothing at the mouth. Instead of evil petrol companies putting up prices, a lot of the blame can be put down to successive governments slapping ever more tax on fuel.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I'd like to blam some MP's as well.

And in other news bears do shit in the woods.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wordsmith

Ah, but I cunningly edited my title to make it look as if it's you that can't spell.

4. TBH its no suprise is it, politicians are thieves and they have no shame. Its just a shame we put up and shut up.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I blame politicians for fucking everything, the bastards.

I blame them for me getting pissed, coming home soaking wet via the Thames and swamping in my oven. My wife has stuck me in the shed like some sartorial elegant 8 Ace. Sixty grand a year shitcunts.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I don't blame them at all. Where else are they supposed to find the money to pay for all these work-shy-o-holics and people with bad backs?

And if they kept the fuel tax down, where else would they find the several million they donate to Pakistan and India in foreign aid every time they have a bit too much rain?

Think, people - for fuck sake.

In other news, Oral B toothbrushes are now half price, and the DFS sale is now on.
  7. Lets start some sort of action when it gets to £1 a litre...
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DFS Sale is always on
  9. Why wasn't I told?
  10. Because you were in Ikea frotting yourself against the kitchen tables.
  11. Has the tax percentage gone up recently?

I know we pay tax and then tax on the tax and then another Eco tax as well but except for the change in VAT has the underlying rate of tax on fuel changed any?

Not defending the politicians (bunchacunts the lot of them) but not all that long ago the same sort of report blamed the stock market speculators for the price rises.
  12. I would gladly purchase 2 or 3 litres of accelerant and pour it over one of the twats, ignite it and point out that as most of its cost was for their upkeep they could enjoy some more of it's benefits.
    Anybody in particular that you would like put up for nomination?
  13. People are smoking less. The next easy target is....
  14. Booze. As was said when the smoking ban came in.

Then it will be take away food. First attempts have already been made, look out for more.
  15. Wordsmith

I looked up the amount of tax we pay on fuel.

The Price of Fuel - PetrolPrices.com

Petrol Prices.png

On petrol 80p of the £1.33 a litre goes on taxes.

On diesel 81p of the £1.38 a litre goes on taxes.

So, without taxes we'd be paying 53p a litre for petrol and 57p a litre for diesel.