OFT says politicians to blam for high petrol prices

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Lots of MP's frothing at the mouth after the Office of Fair Trading stated that if you looked at petrol prices without taxes, the UK has some of the cheapest petrol in Europe. However, once you add on taxes, we have some of the most expensive (my bold).

Ministers to blame for high fuel prices, says competition watchdog - Telegraph

Ministers to blame for high fuel prices, says competition watchdog

Britain would have some of the cheapest fuel prices in Europe if ministers had not raised taxes by such large amounts over the last ten years, the competition watchdog has said.

The OFT said there is “no evidence” that high petrol and diesel prices in the UK are caused bad behaviour in the industry.

It said that the petrol market is “working well” – despite consumers paying near-record prices at the pumps.

The report said that pre-tax, “the UK has some of the cheapest road fuel prices in Europe”.

“In the 10 years between 2003 and 2012 pump prices increased from 76 pence per litre (ppl) to 136ppl for petrol, and from 78ppl to 142ppl for diesel, caused largely by an increase of nearly 24ppl in tax and duty and 33ppl in the cost of crude oil,” the report said.
You can see why MP's are frothing at the mouth. Instead of evil petrol companies putting up prices, a lot of the blame can be put down to successive governments slapping ever more tax on fuel.

Cnuts...

Wordsmith

I blame politicians for fucking everything, the bastards.

I blame them for me getting pissed, coming home soaking wet via the Thames and swamping in my oven. My wife has stuck me in the shed like some sartorial elegant 8 Ace. Sixty grand a year shitcunts.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
I don't blame them at all. Where else are they supposed to find the money to pay for all these work-shy-o-holics and people with bad backs?

And if they kept the fuel tax down, where else would they find the several million they donate to Pakistan and India in foreign aid every time they have a bit too much rain?

Think, people - for fuck sake.

In other news, Oral B toothbrushes are now half price, and the DFS sale is now on.

I don't blame them at all. Where else are they supposed to find the money to pay for all these work-shy-o-holics and people with bad backs?

And if they kept the fuel tax down, where else would they find the several million they donate to Pakistan and India in foreign aid every time they have a bit too much rain?

Think, people - for fuck sake.

In other news, Oral B toothbrushes are now half price, and the DFS sale is now on.
DFS Sale is always on

Has the tax percentage gone up recently?

I know we pay tax and then tax on the tax and then another Eco tax as well but except for the change in VAT has the underlying rate of tax on fuel changed any?

Not defending the politicians (bunchacunts the lot of them) but not all that long ago the same sort of report blamed the stock market speculators for the price rises.

I would gladly purchase 2 or 3 litres of accelerant and pour it over one of the twats, ignite it and point out that as most of its cost was for their upkeep they could enjoy some more of it's benefits.
Anybody in particular that you would like put up for nomination?

People are smoking less. The next easy target is....

People are smoking less. The next easy target is....
Booze. As was said when the smoking ban came in.

Then it will be take away food. First attempts have already been made, look out for more.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
taxes are crippling but the increases in the oil prices are mainly due to speculators not content with screwing everything else up and are now playing with the food prices in competition with the biofuel dickheads.

just like the road fund license fuel taxes are being used to subsidise the govt waste and bad procurements.

Surprise surprise! The politicians get found out once more, having hitherto successfully diverted attention towards "greedy fuel suppliers".

When will the public wake up to the similar shafting they're getting over energy bills (which affects the price of pretty much everything)? Hint: it's not the "greedy utility companies"...