Ofsted: schools exaggerating special needs to hide poor teaching

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Sep 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And therein lays the modern epidemic of 'Autism' and 'Dyslexia'. I've heard it said by many teachers that modern 'autism' is caused by kids being brought up in front of the Playstation from age 2, and 'Dyslexia' is often just bone idleness - proper dyslexia is to do with the visual processing in the visual cortex, many 'dyslexic' kids can see the words just fine, they just don't know what the letters mean. Once the little darlings have that SEN statement then all is excused! There is of course also the financial benefit; in many institutions the poor 'dyslexic' students get a free laptop....
  2. The missus has said this in her first 3 years of teaching that certain kids are too easily labelled by outside assessors, then again parents have a part in this as little timmy couldn't be a mong, no he must have label for his mongness.
  3. I always wondered why there were no 'thick' kids around any more and when I was at school there was no such thing as Dyslexia. Any kids that actually did have 'Autisum', and there were very, very few, were special..... they got on the 'Special Bus'.

If they go through school in an environment in which 'being lazy' is classed as having a 'special need', it's no wonder that they start their working life thinking that they don't actually need to do anything, and they will get everything given to them 'on a plate'.
  4. With the letters jumbled up of course.
  5. Labelling is precisely what the problem is. No child is allowed to fail, therefore if they are failing there must be some medically diagnosable cause for it.

One thing I've noticed is that little bastards from upper class families have a particular strange version of Aspergers suffered only by the brightest minds, little bastards from typical middle class families have regular Aspergers or some other part of the Autistic continuum, little bastards from working class families have 'autism init', and little bastards from the non-working class are dyslexic.

You really can predict the diagnosis based on the socio economic status of the parents, and what they will do to offset the stigma of dropping a thicky.
  6. Call me cynical, but once the term ESN, Educationally Sub Normal, was dropped in favour of SEN and extra cash became available, then everyone who can be statemented is; Kerching!
    It also provides a get out for poor results, as in 'It is not the teachers who are shite, it is down to the high percentage of mongs, ahem. statemented pupils we have.'
  7. Sorry to burst the outrage bus my daughter got diagonsed as autistic Age 3 due to a lot of support shes now coping in mainstream some of its due to better understanding of special needs.
    The whole autism support services etc etc is just there to hide the shame of badly behaved kids get a grip you ****ing mong.
  8. Genetics has a lot to do with it - it may be an inter-generational thing.

On a similar note the proliferation of those catergorised as disabled has also been allowed to run unchecked. Sore arm - disabled. Bit of arthritis - disabled. Bit of a limp - disabled. The list of 'disabilities', much like those in the queue to be categorised as 'disabled' is endless.
  9. Sorry about my last bit of a rant.
    I actually read the article its not so much about kids with labels.
    But schools doing the labeling without a statement. In my experience a relativly straight forward process but thats far from common part of a small charity that has lots of cases of parents at there wits trying to get support for kids who are not right.
    case in point service primary school lots of kids stressed cause there dads in afganhistan there not special educational needs.
    They will need extra help obviously but there not disabled.
    Statments are not just done by the school and usually not that easy to get
  10. Brighton hippy - I agree totally and understand that there are many genuine cases of kids on the autistic continuum, the problem is indeed where schools label kids as such without the knowledge or understanding to make a proper diagnosis. That your daughter is coping well in mainstream is great, with the proper support genuinely autistic kids often excel and in many cases can actually drag up the SAT score averages of the school....... SEN doesn't necessarily mean thick, it just means they need extra support to learn or communicate what they have learned. The idea that autistic kids are thick comes from the label being used on any kid who's a bit awkward or badly behaved!
  11. schools should not be diagnosing stuff period.
    If they have a concern flagg it up and pass it on to a medic social worker etc.
    they don't know how to do it and have enough work to be getting on with .
  12. Another problem is the genuine distrust many people these days have for experts. School refers bastard for diagnosis. Ed psych, doc, LEA all say the kid is a little bastard. School/parents say 'what do they know', quote something about Andrew Wakefield and decide that the little bastard has autism anyway.
  13. Call me cynical, naive; call me anything you want really... :)
    The thing that really gets me with the state sector is how this (special needs) and under-privilaged children (if I can call them that) are the excuses trotted out. In my (naive) mind, the state system should reflect a unity of purpose and an approach to common standards across the board. I don't want to have to faff about choosing schools, I should have the confidence that my local school is up to the job, and that my kids will get the education they need; at the moment I'm being told that of the three schools available, two of them are under-performing/under-achieving because they are in deprived areas - WTF?
    Which one do I choose (rhetorical question)?
    This of course leads onto the 'discussion' about the powers of the teaching profession to be able to get on with thier jobs....but I'll leave that to others.....