Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offshore Windfarm development boosted by £2 million research

I meant to add, your job sounds very cool. Do you find much crazy stuff under the sea? Crashed planes and munitions etc?
My mate was the Logistics bod on two seabed surveys for cable burial in the Baltic. I've previously listed what they found in just two very narrow corridors including new wrecks (with cannon), WW2 munitions and Cold War munitions,

Last edited:
To be honest, my involvement with wind is finding all the leftovers from the Luftwaffe and the cable installation and burial rather than the actual turbine piles, masts and nacelle installation.

I'm s'posed to be on Kriegers Flak at the moment, doing cable trenching and backfill. Rotor diameter 167m.

I was on HKZ last year; rotor diameter 193m.

This is Prinses Amalia, rotor diameter 160m, give or take (and it's turning):-

View attachment 516206

The things are effing huuuuuuge!!!
Have you seen the size of the GE 12/13.0? That's proper big!

Watching the fiasco in Scotland

Local company , Bi-Fab , there , asking the SCottish government for assistance ,
QUOTE[
Trade union leaders have urged Nicola Sturgeon not to give up on Scottish manufacturing firm Burntisland Fabrications (BiFab) as it “teeters on the brink of collapse”.

The Scottish Trades Union Congress (STUC) has written to ask the First Minister to seek a “political resolution” to a lifeline North Sea wind farm contract.

BiFab owner DF Barnes said last week that a Scottish Government decision to pull support for the firm had made winning the contract for eight turbine jackets on the NnG wind farm project “very challenging”.

But French developer EDF has refused to rule out a deal.

STUC general secretary Roz Foyer said: “It is to the benefit of no one, whether in government or industry, for BiFab to be added to the list of supply chain failures.”

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Government said: “We will continue to do everything possible to support the business.”]QUOTE

what they aren't sayin in this piece is the Scottish government is forbidden to assist , due to competition rules set by the EU, and they still want to tie us to Europe after Brexit

You couldn't make this up!

Polyester

War Hero
Watching the fiasco in Scotland

Local company , Bi-Fab , there , asking the SCottish government for assistance ,
QUOTE[
Trade union leaders have urged Nicola Sturgeon not to give up on Scottish manufacturing firm Burntisland Fabrications (BiFab) as it “teeters on the brink of collapse”.

The Scottish Trades Union Congress (STUC) has written to ask the First Minister to seek a “political resolution” to a lifeline North Sea wind farm contract.

BiFab owner DF Barnes said last week that a Scottish Government decision to pull support for the firm had made winning the contract for eight turbine jackets on the NnG wind farm project “very challenging”.

But French developer EDF has refused to rule out a deal.

STUC general secretary Roz Foyer said: “It is to the benefit of no one, whether in government or industry, for BiFab to be added to the list of supply chain failures.”

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Government said: “We will continue to do everything possible to support the business.”]QUOTE

what they aren't sayin in this piece is the Scottish government is forbidden to assist , due to competition rules set by the EU, and they still want to tie us to Europe after Brexit

You couldn't make this up!

It is a shame because we have the skills here. It's something we could do. And that bit of Fife needs all the help it can get but that's the scottish government for you.

Polyester

War Hero
Aye. Enormous. I remember going into a 7.0 MW DD a few years ago and being astonished at the size and now that Haliade monster just eclipses everything! I was used to 2.3's/2.85's and 1.3's!
I've seen early schematics of the larger nacelles that included a small seating area with microwave and kettle for the technicians. Pound to a pinch they were never followed through on!

This is a hoax, all the mining of raw material, manufacture, logistics, installation and maintenance for the return of 67GWh per year?

There is probably a better return in farming cow farts.

This is a hoax, all the mining of raw material, manufacture, logistics, installation and maintenance for the return of 67GWh per year?

There is probably a better return in farming cow farts.
Have you ever tried tying a cow to a turbine blade? It isn't easy!

Have you ever tried tying a cow to a turbine blade? It isn't easy!

Ahah, I found this:

Its like a porthole into the cows gut, just hook them up to a plastic bag which when full, seals and detaches itself whilst another bag attaches, you then just harvest the bags of gas.

White men you see, they could have had cows in Africa for millions of years and they would still be sat there trying to talk to them and putting large plates in their mouths.

NSP

LE
I meant to add, your job sounds very cool. Do you find much crazy stuff under the sea? Crashed planes and munitions etc?
In the western approaches. yes - a fucktonne of WWII convoy shipping. You can, in your kilometer-wide survey corridor, find on sidescan sonar several freighter wrecks near each other and all on the same orientation, pretty close to their convoy formation, where the wolfpack got in amongst them and gave it "Torpedo los!" simultaneously.

BOMB1.JPG

Bomber1.jpg

Truck.jpg

Irma026.jpg

Mine01.jpg

Truck1.jpg

Ray01.jpg

Last edited:

Polyester

War Hero
In the western approaches. yes - a fucktonne of WWII convoy shipping. You can, in your kilometer-wide survey corridor, find on sidescan sonar several freighter wrecks near each other and all on the same orientation, pretty close to their convoy formation, where the wolfpack got in amongst them and gave it "Torpedo los!" simultaneously.

View attachment 516267

View attachment 516268

View attachment 516270

View attachment 516271

View attachment 516272

View attachment 516274

View attachment 516275

That is fantastic NSP. Very cool images, cheers for putting them up.

ericferret

War Hero
On the Siemens 4.0 (with gearbox), annual service was around 50 litres of oil and 25 kg of various lubes. Agree about DD. One new OFW in UK waters actually reduced their maintenance team headcount after the first year as DDs were so efficient and reliable. @Gravdigger
As a comparison a medium helicopter uses about a couple of hundred litres of oil a year.
Fuel not included.
I doubt the wind farms are dumping it in the sea and they aren't burning it so carbon footprint and environmental effect are minimal.

that’s a two way street. The year prior we were net exporters. And probably will be again.
For 10 years the U.K. has been a new importer.
Yes it will probably change... over time
Strictly speaking, at the moment, No. We definitely don't and the truth is that the interconnect between the UK and France will probably be giving us electricity for a while yet but as I said it's more complex than them producing two much and us producing too little. The projection for offshore wind generation in the next five years in UK waters is immense. genuinely unparalleled anywhere in the world. And it's offshore that's the key. small Onshore developments will make some money for small private enterprises, pension funds etc but offshore is going to be where it is at. I can't promise that the UK will be independent in terms of electricity supply but first of all it never truly has been and secondly it's definitely the direction we are attempting to go. I reckon we will see two or maybe three more reactors built in our lifetime but tens of thousands of wind turbines.
Not forgetting the ones with Netherlands and Belgium

As a comparison a medium helicopter uses about a couple of hundred litres of oil a year.
Fuel not included.
I doubt the wind farms are dumping it in the sea and they aren't burning it so carbon footprint and environmental effect are minimal.
The 50 litres was a full exchange with approx 40 litres of waste oil going off for recycling.

Latest Threads