Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offshore wind farms

I couldn’t have written that better myself. Best of luck with the day rate gig. You can’t buy back time with family, I’ve learned that. We have been moderately successful at building in house teams on decent money and keeping as many skills as we can. Finding good blokes was a challenge for a while. It seems to me that SGRE are in the shit frankly. When Siemens were operating on their own it was ok. They had a few wee issues but they knew what they were doing. The initial amalgamation with Gamesa just seemed to send them into a spiral of failure. I don’t think that could be laid at the door of the gamesa or Siemens technicians feet either.

I never though I’d say it but it a lot of ways I’m glad to be off the tools. I miss some aspects of it but as you said the industry is just continually racing to the bottom.

I was recently contacted by an agency regarding an Orsted role in Grimsby (30 minute drive), a fair amount of responsibility with a list of required quals/tickets a mile long. They were offering two thirds of the rate I was first on 5 years ago and the new role was within IR35! You pay peanuts....

NSP

LE
You pay peanuts....
They should learn from the O&G sector - what they save paying peanuts they pay out twice-fold in QC issues and HSE fines as the calibre of the workers goes down and the slack attitude to corner-cutting goes up.

You want people who know what they're doing and understand a) what all the procedures are and b) why they're there then it costs you. All these companies will have one of those "Investor in People" award plaques proudly displayed in their HQ reception areas, too.

Because if you invest in the people it saves you far more than you're spending across the board in avoided LTIs, breakdowns and plant repairs, reputational damage, product quality and regulatory spankings.

That being said, O&G plus support sector are once again trying to push rates down due to CV19 and the Arabs trashing the oil price (again) at the beginning of the year. Ironically, I am on a higher rate to go bomb-hunting on OWF developments than I am to go peering at pipelines and stuff.

Polyester

War Hero
They should learn from the O&G sector - what they save paying peanuts they pay out twice-fold in QC issues and HSE fines as the calibre of the workers goes down and the slack attitude to corner-cutting goes up.

You want people who know what they're doing and understand a) what all the procedures are and b) why they're there then it costs you. All these companies will have one of those "Investor in People" award plaques proudly displayed in their HQ reception areas, too.

Because if you invest in the people it saves you far more than you're spending across the board in avoided LTIs, breakdowns and plant repairs, reputational damage, product quality and regulatory spankings.

That being said, O&G plus support sector are once again trying to push rates down due to CV19 and the Arabs trashing the oil price (again) at the beginning of the year. Ironically, I am on a higher rate to go bomb-hunting on OWF developments than I am to go peering at pipelines and stuff.
Funny you should say that. I was in Oil and Gas for a very short period after leaving the RAF and I found the attitude to be one of talk the talk until production is risked and then do what ever is necessary to get production back on an even keel. I found Rig “engineers” who couldn’t read hydraulic schematics or wiring diagrams, and not just one or two. A lot had been promoted from the drill floor which is all fair and well but as soon as they hit an issue, a third party tech or fitter had to fly out to sort things for them. I could go on but I appreciate peoples experiences vary and I wasn’t at it long enough to form a really fair view but it definitely wasn’t for me.

One exception in my limited view was the ROV pilots. They took shit off no one and seemed to really know their stuff.

Horses for courses I suppose.

NSP

LE
Funny you should say that. I was in Oil and Gas for a very short period after leaving the RAF and I found the attitude to be one of talk the talk until production is risked and then do what ever is necessary to get production back on an even keel. I found Rig “engineers” who couldn’t read hydraulic schematics or wiring diagrams, and not just one or two. A lot had been promoted from the drill floor which is all fair and well but as soon as they hit an issue, a third party tech or fitter had to fly out to sort things for them. I could go on but I appreciate peoples experiences vary and I wasn’t at it long enough to form a really fair view but it definitely wasn’t for me.

One exception in my limited view was the ROV pilots. They took shit off no one and seemed to really know their stuff.

Horses for courses I suppose.
Sounds about right - around fifteen years ago BP went through a spate of killing people in their North Sea ops and got repeated spankings from the HSE. For a brief time their policy was that on their jobs we would head into port to avoid any sort of weather. Then it became "head into shelter." Then "only if the forecast indicates no chance of working for five days or more." Now it's "ride it out like everyone else does."

Can't think why...

Polyester

War Hero
Sounds about right - around fifteen years ago BP went through a spate of killing people in their North Sea ops and got repeated spankings from the HSE. For a brief time their policy was that on their jobs we would head into port to avoid any sort of weather. Then it became "head into shelter." Then "only if the forecast indicates no chance of working for five days or more." Now it's "ride it out like everyone else does."

Can't think why...
Yep. Sounds familiar. Our vessels steaming out whilst everyone else is alongside getting hooped.

OWF will see you through to retirement! The amount of proposed projects in the North Sea alone is staggering.

NSP

LE
Yep. Sounds familiar. Our vessels steaming out whilst everyone else is alongside getting hooped.
Not even allowed to do that these days. Alongside, first thing; new bodies on, handover, old ones off and away to airport, new bodies inducted; sail on the afternoon/evening tide; random breathalysing within 24hrs of departure.

Can't think why...

I was on the Windea La Cour for around 18 months. We went from 'head to port', to 'head to shelter (Borkum)' to 'bob about a bit' over that time. I was still working in the warehouse but the techs sent to help me all turned a funny shade of green once they couldn't see daylight and the swell started kicking in.

Polyester

War Hero
@supermatelot, soz bud, not the best and I can’t find any of inside a turbine but I’ll keep looking or ask one of lads to take an image of one.

Attachments

• 15152562-14A8-4669-95DD-98EB569EEF98.jpeg
    15152562-14A8-4669-95DD-98EB569EEF98.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 29
  • D0FB19CC-DB7C-47F6-BB42-BB2746A7F3D3.jpeg
    D0FB19CC-DB7C-47F6-BB42-BB2746A7F3D3.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 29
Gemini.jpg

One of the calmer days. Gemini OWF formerly Europe's largest OWF (150 x SGRE 4.0MW).

That’s a cracking image.

The project was set up to be serviced from an SOV with helo support. Within a couple of months it became apparent a CTV was required too.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Prinses Amalia Windpark last year...

Prinses Amalia Windpark17.jpg

Crazy Cloggie captain parks 3000t of steel next to a massive (operating) mincing machine...

Yes, they are pretty ballsy people. Its the only way to get blade repairs done with removing the blade though. Weather generally has to be spot on too. We use drones to do our inspections now but even that used to be two or three guys racing up and down the vertical blade. They are on seriously good money!

Could be better though not complaining :) turns out we're daily transfer as well so Liverpool hotel at night. Hoping we should get 3 WTGs done a day, main constraint is batteries of course. Been doing onshore turbines for a few months now and they're pretty simple, you can literally walk around the base with the aircraft above you so nice and simple. Here we could be a hundred plus metres out so definitely a tricker concept, not just a question of sliding up and down the blade. For the accuracy of the images we want we need a constant 20metres from blade on manual settings so we've got a LiDAR and 1/2 metre either way can fcuk the shot so its quite a slow process. Up leading, around then down the trialing edge, pitch 90 and repeat seems simple but thats probably going to be a full battery set for one blade and at 6 batteries a flight thats a lot of charging on the go which is going to be the biggest issue. Certainly going to be an interesting week.

OSS.jpg

Call that close? :)

Polyester

War Hero
Could be better though not complaining :) turns out we're daily transfer as well so Liverpool hotel at night. Hoping we should get 3 WTGs done a day, main constraint is batteries of course. Been doing onshore turbines for a few months now and they're pretty simple, you can literally walk around the base with the aircraft above you so nice and simple. Here we could be a hundred plus metres out so definitely a tricker concept, not just a question of sliding up and down the blade. For the accuracy of the images we want we need a constant 20metres from blade on manual settings so we've got a LiDAR and 1/2 metre either way can fcuk the shot so its quite a slow process. Up leading, around then down the trialing edge, pitch 90 and repeat seems simple but thats probably going to be a full battery set for one blade and at 6 batteries a flight thats a lot of charging on the go which is going to be the biggest issue. Certainly going to be an interesting week.
Happy days. We used a company called cyberhawk. Good blokes (and a lady). I took a team up to trial flying one on the inside of a blade both in the bunny ears and down the vertical. The lead pilot asked if I wanted to have a go but I made my excuses and declined. Bit too expensive if I messed it up! If I remember correctly your batteries are wildly expensive too so best of luck with it. Hope you get good weather.

It sounds a fascinating industry to be in guys, wish I'd done this years ago!

I've a mate with a real keen interest in drones (he's flown them recreationally offshore with the vessel's captain permission) who has a background in offshore wind farm asset inspections. Full GWOs etc. Are your company hiring?