Offshore wind farms

Guys, anyone here working offshore, particularly wind-farms. Got my first rotation next week and would be nice to get to know any arrsers with similar backgrounds.

Polyester

Old-Salt
Guys, anyone here working offshore, particularly wind-farms. Got my first rotation next week and would be nice to get to know any arrsers with similar backgrounds.
Hi bogie, I’m a technical instructor for a big utility teaching the wind syllabus. WTSRs, WAH etc etc. I was always onshore as a tech on Siemens and Vestas platforms but we have huge offshore investments on the go so any questions I’ll answer if I can.

NSP

LE
What vessel?

By the by, Cloggie offshore wind paid off my mortgage, courtesy of the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine's leavings.

I'd like to thank the Dutch government. Oh, and Adolf, too, who's megalomania made it all possible.

Hey guys, great to hear from you sorry for delay hectic here. Off to Burbo Bank and Extension and then after that Deuthesbank. They're monsters out in Burbo bank, can't get over the size of them!

Polyester

Old-Salt
Burbo bank? Siemens platforms if I mind right. And they aren’t the biggest. Wait until you see a six MW or eventually the 10 that Siemens are building. Absolute monsters. The D6 has three floors in the nacelle. Will you be going up into any of them?

E2A: sorry, didn’t realise Burbo banks extension was completed a couple of years ago! Ha!ha! 8MW I’ve just read? Truly massive machines.

Yup, 8MWs, swept area the size of Wembley Stadium. Should be hell of an experience. The only time I'll be getting off the ship is if it sinks or when it docks! Certainly not climbing those beasts!

Hi bogie, I’m a technical instructor for a big utility teaching the wind syllabus. WTSRs, WAH etc etc. I was always onshore as a tech on Siemens and Vestas platforms but we have huge offshore investments on the go so any questions I’ll answer if I can.
So you’re ARRSE’s resident WAH expert?

Polyester

Old-Salt

Polyester

Old-Salt
Yup, 8MWs, swept area the size of Wembley Stadium. Should be hell of an experience. The only time I'll be getting off the ship is if it sinks or when it docks! Certainly not climbing those beasts!
They are mega when you get up top. I sometimes miss being a tech. The views on a good day make up for all the inconveniences of working at height. Honestly, if you get a chance, go up top and have a look.

They are mega when you get up top. I sometimes miss being a tech. The views on a good day make up for all the inconveniences of working at height. Honestly, if you get a chance, go up top and have a look.
Got any phots from the top of one / inside one?

Polyester

Old-Salt
Got any phots from the top of one / inside one?
Yep. I should have a couple on my work laptop. I’ll see if I can find them tomorrow and upload them.

Polyester

Old-Salt
These two are from my old site:

I'll ask, obviously things are very strict out there. Although done the WAH course, my role is ship based. Was on course with fit young girl who was one of the blade techs, **** me, wouldn't get me doing that!!!!

Polyester

Old-Salt
I'll ask, obviously things are very strict out there. Although done the WAH course, my role is ship based. Was on course with fit young girl who was one of the blade techs, **** me, wouldn't get me doing that!!!!
Yes, they are pretty ballsy people. Its the only way to get blade repairs done with removing the blade though. Weather generally has to be spot on too. We use drones to do our inspections now but even that used to be two or three guys racing up and down the vertical blade. They are on seriously good money!

I've just finished 5 years working in on and offshore wind. In fact, I should have been in Taiwan now. If you have any questions PM me.

Burbo bank? Siemens platforms if I mind right. And they aren’t the biggest. Wait until you see a six MW or eventually the 10 that Siemens are building. Absolute monsters. The D6 has three floors in the nacelle. Will you be going up into any of them?

E2A: sorry, didn’t realise Burbo banks extension was completed a couple of years ago! Ha!ha! 8MW I’ve just read? Truly massive machines.
and the 14MW currently under test never mind what's on the drawing board.

Polyester

Old-Salt
and the 14MW currently under test never mind what's on the drawing board.
I think there is a Japanese company having a crack at a 20MW which will be interesting to see. Have you jacked in turbine work then?

I think there is a Japanese company having a crack at a 20MW which will be interesting to see. Have you jacked in turbine work then?
Yes mate. I had most of last year away from the industry which has provided me with better opportunities as a sub-contractor. I've landed a 3 year contract as a day rater but home with the family every night. Sub-contractors are being squeezed out of wind as OEMs try to drive down the rates. SGRE are trying to eliminate all none perm EHS and QAs whilst outsourcing shortfalls to GWS, Boston etc. Guess what they do, try to hire the same subbies on vastly reduced rates. It's a race to the bottom.

Last edited:

Polyester

Old-Salt
Yes mate. I had most of last year away from the industry which has provided me with better opportunities as a sub-contractor. I've landed a 3 year contract as a day rater but home with the family every night. Sub-contractors are being squeezed out of wind as they try to drive down the rates. SGRE are trying to eliminate all none perm EHS and QAs whilst outsourcing shortfalls to GWS, Boston etc. Guess what they do, try to hire the same subbies on vastly reduced rates. It's a race to the bottom.
I couldn’t have written that better myself. Best of luck with the day rate gig. You can’t buy back time with family, I’ve learned that. We have been moderately successful at building in house teams on decent money and keeping as many skills as we can. Finding good blokes was a challenge for a while. It seems to me that SGRE are in the shit frankly. When Siemens were operating on their own it was ok. They had a few wee issues but they knew what they were doing. The initial amalgamation with Gamesa just seemed to send them into a spiral of failure. I don’t think that could be laid at the door of the gamesa or Siemens technicians feet either.

I never though I’d say it but it a lot of ways I’m glad to be off the tools. I miss some aspects of it but as you said the industry is just continually racing to the bottom.

Latest Threads