Offshore Patrol Vessels

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
You seem an intelligent sort of a chap, apart from one thing, why bother responding to such drivel?

Because otherwise, someone might actually believe it... and then it starts being quoted as "Royal Navy experts say missiles 'worse than useless'".

There's a surprising number of areas of military matters - real and historic - where the popular perception is not just "not right", but outright wrong, because confident yet incompetent bluffers spun a line and weren't challenged...

An interesting point I had forgotten was that several of the OPVs are not fitted with he SCG with the 30mm KCB, but the ASCG with chain gun.
FB_IMG_1629742268331.jpg

Published by: The Royal Navy, on 28 August 2021.

Welcome back into the family - officially – HMS Severn.

The patrol ship was recommissioned today with full pomp and ceremony while berthed alongside wartime cruiser HMS Belfast in the heart of London.

The service in the presence of friends, family, VIPs and affiliates ends a regeneration process which began in November 2018, bringing the ship ‘back from the dead’.

1630449264712.png

Capture.PNG

Yokel

LE
Because otherwise, someone might actually believe it... and then it starts being quoted as "Royal Navy experts say missiles 'worse than useless'".

There's a surprising number of areas of military matters - real and historic - where the popular perception is not just "not right", but outright wrong, because confident yet incompetent bluffers spun a line and weren't challenged...

I know what you mean - with opinionated window lickers like Lewis Page being treated like the fount of all knowledge. Remember all the 'STOVL is rubbish', 'not relevant to future skills needs', and similar cobblers being spouted in the months before SDSR10 - and then the intervention of Dopey 'Ignore the detail' Dave?

The Devil lurks in the detail.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Anyway - since this is the OPV thread, I think that things have come on since this thread started. Not only have all the original Batch 1 vessels been retained, and one of them (HMS Severn) is now acting as navigation straining ship, but all the Batch 2s have been manned - and deployed. Forth in the South Atlantic, Medway in the Caribbean, Trent at Gibraltar to patrol in the Mediterranean and Gulf of Guinea, and now Spey and Tamar are off to the Indo Pacific.

Patrol ships bid farewell to Portsmouth as they begin Indo-Pacific deployment

Spey and Tamar will arrive in the Pacific on the back of the maiden deployment by HMS Queen Elizabeth and her strike group which have spent several months working alongside the UK’s allies and partners in the region.

They will act as the eyes and ears of the Navy – and nation – in the region, working alongside Britain’s allies, carrying out security patrols to deal with drug-running, smuggling, terrorism and other illegal activities, joining in exercises with other navies and armed forces, and flying the flag for Global Britain.

No permanent home has been assigned to the pair – instead they will make use of bases and ports in the Pacific region which best meets their needs and mission.

When the construction of these vessels was announced, I had my doubts about whether or not this was an effective way of using money or manpower. However, they are cost effective as a means of extending our Global footprint, and suited to the future 'grey zone'.

The crews will be joined by extra personnel – up to 52 Royal Marines or troops in a dedicated mess – or mission-specific equipment to deliver humanitarian aid or help with evacuations, depending on their mission, a versatility which makes the vessels “2,000-tonne Swiss Army knives”.

Last edited:

Londo

LE
Anyway - since this is the OPV thread, I think that things have come on since this thread started. Not only have all the original Batch 1 vessels been retained, and one of the (HMS Severn) is now acting as navigation straining ship, but all the Batch 2s have been manned - and deployed. Forth in the South Atlantic, Medway in the Caribbean, Trent at Gibraltar to patrol in the Mediterranean and Gulf of Guinea, and now Spey and Tamar are off to the Indo Pacific.

Spey and Tamar will arrive in the Pacific on the back of the maiden deployment by HMS Queen Elizabeth and her strike group which have spent several months working alongside the UK’s allies and partners in the region.

They will act as the eyes and ears of the Navy – and nation – in the region, working alongside Britain’s allies, carrying out security patrols to deal with drug-running, smuggling, terrorism and other illegal activities, joining in exercises with other navies and armed forces, and flying the flag for Global Britain.

No permanent home has been assigned to the pair – instead they will make use of bases and ports in the Pacific region which best meets their needs and mission.

When the construction of these vessels was announced, I had my doubts about whether or not this was an effective way of using money or manpower. However, they are cost effective as a means of extending our Global footprint, and suited to the future 'grey zone'.

The crews will be joined by extra personnel – up to 52 Royal Marines or troops in a dedicated mess – or mission-specific equipment to deliver humanitarian aid or help with evacuations, depending on their mission, a versatility which makes the vessels “2,000-tonne Swiss Army knives”.
But but but they are not armed with 8" heavy guns and Tomahawk land attack missiles let alone ;) AA missiles

But but but they are not armed with 8" heavy guns and Tomahawk land attack missiles let alone ;) AA missiles
Makes one wonder why a small missile launcher couldn't be strapped to either side of the Bofors turret for some extra capability, a bit like this:

Although I'm not suggesting such a large missile be used. Perhaps Starstreak would do? 4-6 missiles onboard wouldn't take up much room. If you need any more than that, a River-class OPV is likely in way over it's head.

Londo

LE
Makes one wonder why a small missile launcher couldn't be strapped to either side of the Bofors turret for some extra capability, a bit like this:

Although I'm not suggesting such a large missile be used. Perhaps Starstreak would do? 4-6 missiles onboard wouldn't take up much room. If you need any more than that, a River-class OPV is likely in way over it's head.
I would think much the same but fitted for rather than fitted with .
Once tensions rise then on go the upgrades .

Anyway - since this is the OPV thread, I think that things have come on since this thread started. Not only have all the original Batch 1 vessels been retained, and one of them (HMS Severn) is now acting as navigation straining ship, but all the Batch 2s have been manned - and deployed. Forth in the South Atlantic, Medway in the Caribbean, Trent at Gibraltar to patrol in the Mediterranean and Gulf of Guinea, and now Spey and Tamar are off to the Indo Pacific.

“The hulls of both Tamar and Spey have received retro World War era ‘dazzle paint’ - making them distinct from most other warships around the globe” . . .

. . . . as already have HMS Severn and HMS Medway.

As discussed, whereas the “dazzle” disruptive paintwork - in the past - was to help disguise, hide, a vessel at sea . . . it is suggested that QUITE THE OPPOSITE intention lies behind the decision to now adopt this paint scheme !!

With so many other naval ships of a similar “Corvette” size, in HMS Tamar’s and HMS Spey’s new area of operations, to which they are being deployed, it is suggested that the new paint scheme is to enable observers identify the RN vessel, as they “advertise” and promote “Global Britain” to those nation states adjacent to the waters in which HMS Tamar and HMS Spey will be now operating

Lt Cdr Evans said: “With our paint schemes, we stand out – we look different. We’ll be flying the White Ensign together in the Indo-Pacific region. People will know that the Royal Navy is back.”

1631186525400.png

"HMS Forth patrols around the Falklands and South Atlantic, HMS Medway is part of the UK naval task group in the Caribbean and HMS Trent conducts security patrols of the Mediterranean and off West Africa".

Yokel

LE
Traditionally the Royal Navy has played an important diplomatic role - presence is everything.

Published by: Alex Walters, FORCES NET, on 04 October 2021.

'Our New Playground': HMS Spey And HMS Tamar Arrive In The Pacific.

The two patrol vessels left Portsmouth in September to begin their five-year deployment to the Indo-Pacific region.

Offshore patrol vessels HMS Spey and HMS Tamar have arrived in their "new playground" – the Pacific.
Acting as the eyes and ears of the Royal Navy, they will be deployed from the east of Africa to the west coast of the USA over the next five years.

In a tweet on Sunday morning, HMS Spey posted a video showing the ships travelling through the Panama Canal, saying: "HMS Spey and HMS Tamar are officially in the Pacific!!

HMS Spey Commissioned Into Royal Navy
HMS Spey: Final New Offshore Patrol Vessel Joins Royal Navy
HMS Spey And HMS Tamar Depart Portsmouth For Indo-Pacific Deployment

"We transited the 70km long Panama Canal to reach our new playground."

No permanent home has been assigned to the pair – who nicknamed themselves TeamSpeymar in their tweet – instead, they will use Pacific bases and ports which best meet their needs and mission.

HMS Spey and HMS Tamar, with their historic dazzle camouflage paint scheme, left Portsmouth in September and arrive in the Pacific following the maiden deployment of HMS Queen Elizabeth and the Carrier Strike Group in the region.

Follow link for videos.

Capture.PNG