Offshore Patrol Vessels

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe not relevant but according to what I saw on a documentary the UK has territorial rights to within 25 miles of our own coastline, that applied when HMRC/Customs were investigating potential smuggling vessels using the Cutters.

UNCLOS states that a states territorial waters can extend out to a maximum of 12nm from coast. The Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) extends 200nm from shore (or equidistant between two neighbouring states).

Now - moving on from fascinating discussions on correspondence etiquette and administrative punishments, let's see if we can guess what's (allegedly) going on here.

"Dear XXXX. Our recent purchase from you has failed to meet our contracted expectations. We don't want it until it's fixed. We intend to deliver it to location Y on date Z, at which point we will leave you the keys and not return until it's fixed to our satisfaction."

HMS Mersey visits Leith to support Edinburgh Tattoo | Royal Navy

Subject to any operational requirements, HMS Mersey is scheduled to remain alongside Harbour Berth, Leith, until Wednesday, August 22, hosting a range of civic, commercial, industrial and charity sector guests from across the UK prior to attending the Tattoo on the Edinburgh Castle Esplanade.

The vessel, and her compliment of 30 Royal Navy sailors, will also welcome senior naval officers from Bahrain, France, Germany and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia during the visit, hosting them on board before they attend their respective Tattoo performance to take the “salute”.

In addition to events in support of the Tattoo, during the week-long port visit HMS Mersey’s ship’s company will also welcome visits from the Institute of Directors, Scottish Engineering, prospective naval recruits, career advisors and the local Sea Cadet Units.

Is this in lieu of a frigate/destroyer/MCMV, or have OPVs had a representational role before?

I think this thread has already discussed using OPVs for non fish law enforcement/security tasks. Perhaps this interception, boarding, and arrest of a vessel up to no good is an example:

Illegal salvagers punished after HMS Severn stops plunder of WW1 wreck | Royal Navy

A century later and HMS Severn was on patrol around the Scillies in August 2016 looking lookout for trawlers breaking international fishing regulations when she was asked to investigate the suspicious activities of the Friendship.

Once aboard the Dutch ship, Severn’s boarding team quickly determined the vessel’s master, Walter Bakker, had no licence to salvage the wreck – so they impounded his vessel.

It took a scratch crew more than two days to sail Friendship to Fowey in Cornwall, where she and her illegal haul was handed over to the Maritime Management Organisation.

OPVs have been at the tattoo before now, this was however a very short notice switcheroo with a type45, but it is the longest the ship has managed to spend alongside since January (thank lord for heavily tidally restricted locks...)

OPVs have been at the tattoo before now, this was however a very short notice switcheroo with a type45, but it is the longest the ship has managed to spend alongside since January (thank lord for heavily tidally restricted locks...)
That would explain why she looked a bit "well-used" when she was parked here. Clean and smart enough, but hardly "shiny paintjob".

They park up HMS Archer about a hundred yards away, round the back of what was a dazzle-painted ship (and is now being converted into a hotel... just, very slowly...)

It's complement, you thick twats. Useless RN Media strikes again.
Don't worry, the RAF Media Muppets recently stated that Zephyr complimented satellites (presumably on their appearance!)!!!

It appears that DMC is fitted for but not with grammar these days!

Regards,
MM

Well I hope the build quality issues have been sorted out:

HMS Tamar is launched as HMS Medway gears up for maiden voyage | Royal Navy

Are we just replacing the Batch One River Class OPVs (RCOPVs) one for one or are we increasing OPN numbers to perform low level tasks in lieu of frigates and destroyers?
Damn sure its Option 2 . . . "increasing OPN numbers to perform low level tasks in lieu of frigates and destroyers".

Wrapped-up in BREXIT, or some such, another Government Department, has allocated finance to funding the continuing operation of a greater number of OPV?!

I fear that most would argue that we’re already using OPVs (and RFAs) in lieu of FFGs and DDGs.

In some cases that may be entirely - if not more - appropriate. However, it illustrates the lack of depth (no pun intended) in our maritime capabilities.

Regards,
MM

I fear that most would argue that we’re already using OPVs (and RFAs) in lieu of FFGs and DDGs.

In some cases that may be entirely - if not more - appropriate. However, it illustrates the lack of depth (no pun intended) in our maritime capabilities.

Regards,
MM
I know. However - if the Navy's core role is war fighting, surely it makes no sense to dilute war fighting capabilities in favour of constabulary tasks? I fear the politicians have been asleep at the wheel for years. More importantly - we need people!

I know. However - if the Navy's core role is war fighting, surely it makes no sense to dilute war fighting capabilities in favour of constabulary tasks? I fear the politicians have been asleep at the wheel for years. More importantly - we need people!
Agreed.

However, both war fighting and constabulary tasks have been eroded to unacceptable levels in my view due to a lack of ships, an increasingly unbalanced force, and insufficient people.

Regards,
MM