Offshore Patrol Vessels

I probably downloaded this from ARRSE, but even if it is already included in this thread, it/I/we deserve a reminder . . .

1521115324108.png

Seems fair enough - but what about the manpower? Is the RN getting funding for another 100 - 150 people?

Interesting news. Looks like some Brexit money is being put aside to retain the Batch Ones for fishery protection. So far it's little more than keeping them maintained in reserve but it's a step up on selling them off or scrapping them like expected.

Three River class Offshore Patrol vessels may be retained 'should they be needed to control UK waters'
Just been announced that the offshore patrol vessels are being redesignated as light cruisers. Those with a helicopter deck, or any reasonably flat deck space that's open to the elements, will be known as Through Deck Cruisers (again).

Where will the funding come from for all these people? What about MAGD and national tasking?

Same place as they found the money to keep these ships.
Man them through MCA funding as they will be doing UK home waters fish bothering/smuggling/compliance patrols.

Where will the funding come from for all these people? What about MAGD and national tasking?
Allocate them to the UOTC, to replace/supplement the previous "minesweepers" and Archer class, etc.. Young and enthusistic VOLUNTEERS, for which the wages/pay is (SHOULD BE !!) already budgeted!!

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Prize money from capturing illegal fishing boats, human traffickers and drug smugglers, and the ransoms for their crews - it should be self-financing pretty quickly :)

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Prize money from capturing illegal fishing boats, human traffickers and drug smugglers, and the ransoms for their crews - it should be self-financing pretty quickly :)
I could work up a business case for doing that. I know some private venture people. All I need is a bunch of people who can operate it and know fishery regs. Job jobbed.

I dont know much about them floaty boaty things nor fishing regs.

I do speak a foreign language** though which could be a useful skill.

Im havent got great pronunciation mind, but I figure if we punctuate each sentence with a burst from a 20mm Oerlikon - then the message will be crystal clear. If only because after the 3rd repetition my pronunciation will be less of a concern than their pronounced list to starboard

**No Not German - although I do believe an other Arrser has that ability

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
We could employ RNVR drawn from unemployed people with seagoing experience from areas near to fishing areas. I'm sure Brixham and some Cornish fishing villages could put forward volunteers. They would be extremely active in targetting foreign incursions.

We could employ RNVR drawn from unemployed people with seagoing experience from areas near to fishing areas. I'm sure Brixham and some Cornish fishing villages could put forward volunteers. They would be extremely active in targetting foreign incursions.
(Very) Old boys then - the RNVR ceased to exist in 1958!

FTRS, Home Service. It'll cost less for a bunch of old-timers, with the added bonus of savings on pensions.
FTRS means people employed doing this would mean RN/RM personnel not being employed elsewhere, as FTRS counts as part of manning numbers.

Allocate them to the UOTC, to replace/supplement the previous "minesweepers" and Archer class, etc.. Young and enthusistic VOLUNTEERS, for which the wages/pay is (SHOULD BE !!) already budgeted!!
Apart from the small problem that the RCOPV is not a minesweeper nor a P2000....

. . . Apart from the small problem that the RCOPV is not a minesweeper nor a P2000....
Oh! F.F.S. . . . !!

Are you just looking for problems, whilst the rest of us are trying to be helpful?!

Old minesweepers, and P2000, have only been used in the past for UOTC, 'cos that is all the RN had "laying around" gash!

I assume you mean URNU and not UOTC. I know the boss of one and he says the P2000 is right for them - a simple vessel that does not remain at sea overnight. Using RCOPVs would be under using much larger, much more complex vessels with significant SQEP issues.

Even using proper RNR reservists is a ballache due to the training and currency issues, and means mobilising people.