Offshore Patrol Vessels

I thought the reason Their Lordships had been so determined to resisting giving an OPV a 76mm gun and embarked helicopter was because of the danger the politicians will start to use them as frigates? Surely the danger of them facing hostile missile fire would justify at least a Phalanx? What about ASW?

Leeds Castle and Dumbarton Castle were sent south in 1982 with the Falklands task group. What exactly was there role - all I have ever seen is that they were used as 'dispatch vessels' - as in 'Go for..."

Anyone?

If you are to forward deploy OPVs as guardships in some of the more ‘robust’ areas, you may need to accept the requirement for something beyond a white Ensign and a 20/30mm figleaf.

Phalanx? Nope, for secondary ships, a 76 would provide a reasonable AA/ASuW capability.

76/62 SUPER RAPID - DETAIL - Leonardo - Aerospace, Defence and Security

Meanwhile, the RAN is cracking on with production of 12 new Arafura Class OPVs for service from approximately 2022.

Not an area of expertise for me but it's apparently based on the proven German Lürssen PV80 design.

The Australian Defence Forces have very much got their poo in one sock.

Regards,
MM
What role are they intending to use them for?

RN OPVs share the fishery protection task with SFPA vessels, and share some of the 'law enforcement' tasks with Border Force and Police forces. I think the RAN do the counter smuggling and counter illegal immigration tasks.

The design is a bit smaller than a RCOPV (particularly batch two) and seems similar in terms of capability.

Meanwhile, the RAN is cracking on with production of 12 new Arafura Class OPVs for service from approximately 2022.

Not an area of expertise for me but it's apparently based on the proven German Lürssen PV80 design.

The Australian Defence Forces have very much got their poo in one sock.

Regards,
MM
That's the sort of thing** I could see forming the basis of the future MCM and Hydro fleet (what was C3 then MHPC) if the offboard remote mcm ideas work

**Can a hanger/ covered workbay be fitted to Batch 2 river

What role are they intending to use them for?
The RAN says:

'The primary role of the OPV will be to undertake constabulary missions, maritime patrol and response duties. State of the art sensors as well as command and communication systems will allow the OPVs to operate alongside Australian Border Force vessels, other Australian Defence Force units and other regional partners.'

Regards,
MM

That's the sort of thing** I could see forming the basis of the future MCM and Hydro fleet (what was C3 then MHPC) if the offboard remote mcm ideas work

**Can a hanger/ covered workbay be fitted to Batch 2 river
From WIKI . . .

Length:
  • Batch 1: 79.5 m (260 ft 10 in)[2][5]
  • Batch 2: 90.5 m (296 ft 11 in)[1][3][4]
River-class patrol vessel - Wikipedia

1553509799898.png

Naval Update - Oct 2016. Sea Breezes.
HMS Forth is the first of three River Class Batch 2 Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPV). (BAE Systems).

Although another 10 metres longer than the proven 80 metre long "German Lürssen PV80 design", BEA Systems do seem to be a little profligate (as usual?!), in their design. However, that extra 10 metres could be forward of the centre line, and therefore not available to accommodate a hanger?

Most of the photos available on the inter-web, show a bloody great “HIAB” crane mounted on a substantial rectangular structure, where a hanger would go. That rectangular structure, has ventilation grills for venting something or other.

Assuming the contents of the substantial rectangular structure can be repositioned; and, the ventilation can be re-routed; someone would then have to do a cost-benefit analysis of the “HIAB” crane vs. hanger.

From the photo above, it does seem that whereas a Merlin could (still) land to refuel etc., the addition of a hanger would only be to accommodate something smaller than Merlin; and, even that might need a redesign of the funnel to split/twin design, similar to the PV80?

For comparison . . . .
1553509324631.png

"Not an area of expertise for me but it's apparently based on the proven German Lürssen PV80 design" = 80 metres length.

Attachments

Assuming the contents of the substantial rectangular structure can be repositioned; and, the ventilation can be re-routed; someone would then have to do a cost-benefit analysis of the “HIAB” crane vs. hanger.

Support helicopter - Cheap
Emabarked helicopter - Expensive

Support helicopter - Cheap
Emabarked helicopter - Expensive
I did suggest (posts #222 and #226), that the versatility, effectiveness, of the Type 1, could be enhanced by including a “support helicopter” flight deck on the rest of the class - but, the idea was not met with much enthusiasm. :( .

It is understood that the extra length of HMS Clyde is directly proportional, to the length of the flight deck (added to the earlier ships), that overhangs the stern;) .

Length: Batch 1 . . . . . : 79.5 m (260 ft 10 in)
Clyde extended length : 81.5 m (267 ft 5 in)
River-class patrol vessel - Wikipedia

View attachment 382231

photos River Class Patrol Vessel HMS Clyde - Google Search

Last edited:
Getting back to real life - and OPVs:

HMS Forth begins training | Royal Navy

Otherwise they are bigger, faster, much more capable and the goal is to station them permanently around the globe, such as in the Caribbean, Mediterranean, South Atlantic or Far East, rather than mostly commit them to fishery protection duties like their predecessors, interspersed with the occasional foreign deployment.

I presume the Fishery Protection and other UK based tasks will be performed by the Batch 1s?

A Wildcat helicopter from 815 Naval Air Squadron in Yeovilton has been buzzing about Forth during the fine spring weather, for now just capturing imagery at sea. In time, it’ll be back to make use of the flight deck and aviation facilities on board.

“It’s always great to see the Fleet Air Arm and we are incredibly grateful for these fantastic shots showing Forth in all of her glory,” said Executive Officer Lieutenant Sam Fields.

“We’re looking forward to conducting the first-of-class flying trials later this year and proving the aviation capability of the class.”

I assume the plan is to lilypad helicopters flying from elsewhere?

Last edited:
. . . I presume the Fishery Protection and other UK based tasks will be performed by the Batch 1s? . . .
Slight Fred Riff: the first of a new build Welsh FPV commissioned at the beginning of the year.

It's stationed here, at Milford Haven and, as you can see, bears no relation to OPVs.

Last edited:
Slight Fred Riff: the first of a new build Welsh FPV commissioned at the beginning of the year.

It's stationed here, at Milford Haven and, as you can see, bears no relation to FPVs.
I was going to ask who the builder was, and was pleased to learn it was a local yard: 160 tonne boat hoist officially unveiled - Mainstay Marine

Interestingly there is also a story in the North Devon Journal about a local 'fishery protection' vessel - basically a RIB with a wheelhouse, operated by some sort of local authority for inshore work. There are lots of similar craft operated by local authorities.

As far as I know Scottish/Welsh/NI Government operated vessels fly the Blue Ensign, and if on fishery protection work fly a fishery protection pennant.

I was going to ask who the builder was, and was pleased to learn it was a local yard: 160 tonne boat hoist officially unveiled - Mainstay Marine

Interestingly there is also a story in the North Devon Journal about a local 'fishery protection' vessel - basically a RIB with a wheelhouse, operated by some sort of local authority for inshore work. There are lots of similar craft operated by local authorities.

As far as I know Scottish/Welsh/NI Government operated vessels fly the Blue Ensign, and if on fishery protection work fly a fishery protection pennant.
Indeed: the Welsh Assembly were determined that the Rhodri Morgan (and subsequent vessels) were Welsh through and through-it looks good on S4C when AMs are trying to out-Welsh other AMs.

As to crew-yep, there's not a Bluejacket amongst them, all are Civil Servants and employed by the Welsh Government.