Offshore jobs

Discussion in 'REME' started by hobit, Aug 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    I'm planning on getting out next year and was hoping to get a job in the oil industry. I am a class 1 Tech.
    What I would like to know is there anyone out there who is a former REME Tech working offshore who could give me some advice on jobs available in this industry?

Cheers

Hob

2. See your PM, hobit.

3. i used to be offshore working on sciesmic surveying ships and it's a good laugh. Clansman (1)? is the last i heard still offshore

4. That's right nessie, still in the offshore game. After a number of years in the hydrographic/construction support sector, have recently returned to the seismic fold.

Now working for CGGVeritas as a Navigation Field Engineer, mainly rigging up new vessels. Good fun, good money!

How about dropping me a line you barsteward!!

5. You got PM.

I have been offshore since leaving the army, wish I had switched over a lot sooner.

6. Would not mind a PM from someone in the know myself, Ex VM(A) currently doing contract work as a mechanical fitter on power stations/ petro chemical / foundries.

been looking at possibly going offshore

thanks in advance

7. To be honest, with that sort of experience behind you I dont think you will struggle to get offshore work.

8. My mate, like myself was an Ece and he went offshore. doing that ROV thing, didn't work out for him. Good money while he was out of blighty but they only paid him when he was on the rig. They would say "don't need you this week mate". Then he'd get a phone call 10 days later and off he'd pop. He had a mortgage and needed regular money. But this was some yank company, i guess there's better out there. My advice is be a plasterer. One just took me for £750 for 2 and a half days work on a house i'm doing up. I'm chuffed as its a good job (albeit £750 lighter) and he's fecking minted.

9. If you go the day rating route then thats the name of the game.

If you manage to get a salaried position then you could be on a 2 on 3 off rotation with a starting off salary of anything from 30k-40k.

10. Have you looked at RAJA

11. Hello folks

I too am about to come to the end of my service in REME as an Aircraft Tech and am interested in offshore work (not in the aircraft field...I hasten to add:)). I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give me with regard to getting into the offshore oil and gas industry.

I am investigating opportunities in the ROV sector but would also be willing to try my hand at anything from roustabout to something on the engineering side of things.

A lot of the feedback I am getting so far is that ex-forces guys are well sought after and should find no problems getting a start, does anyone have any experience of this and where is the best place to start.

I will be attending my CTW next month and will hopefully begin to start putting some firm feelers out in order to try to get into the industry.

Any help anyone can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

12. Im an ex BAT who left in 2002, found no problems in getting an offshore start. However I happened to know someone on the "inside" (another ex BAT) who pointed me/my cv in the right direction.

Get your CV out to some of the large contractors such as Petrofac or Woodgroup.

13. Thanks Sigur...Will get my CV of to them both soon.

Cheers mate.

14. No probs, if you need any more info then drop me a PM.