Official WW2 Photographs

Bee Companeeee

Old-Salt
A friend who manages a charity shop (small local charity) has asked me about the contents of a metal box that was recently donated from the estate of a deceased person. Inside was an RAF Form 2520A Service and Release Book. In the name of LAC 133085 George William Stevens. He served from 21/1/41 to 29/5/46. Of that he served in the Middle East from 15/9/41 to 11/10/45 maintaining aircraft safety equipment . Beside that there is about 120 photographs from WW2. About half the photographs are 10.5cm x 6.25cm (with slight variations). They depict a variety of scenes from North Africa in WW2. They depict a variety of military scenes such as Montgomery and Churchill inspecting troops. Military personnel at work. Destroyed enemy vehicles, sadly a number are of dead troops, German prisoners, British tanks. Some appear to be taken during battle or just after.
I've seen similar but these have a purple stamp on the back that says 'Official Photograph. Passed by Publicity Censor. This is surmounted by the Kings Crown. There is also a unique 5 digit number on them all with some having a secondary number stamped of 2 or 3 digits.

Do any of our residents have any knowledge of these photographs and can share their expertise.

There are also about 40 slightly smaller photos about 8cm x 5cm. These all appear to relate to North Africa as they are of the wartime leaders in that area and show things such as the French General Giraud presenting Eisenhower with a medal, Churchill, Gaul, Montgomery as well as again lots of scenes of military life and destroyed German aircraft.These have no markings on the back. Having researched them I have found some of the same pictures on the internet so they are clearly reprints but appear to be of WW2 Vintage. I'm wondering if they were available to purchase by servicemen without cameras as some have photo corners on where they appear to have come from an album.

The rest of the photographs appear to be photographs of him and his mates.

And lastly. Its a real long shot. But does anyone recognise the location in the photograph of the open air Church Service. From the chequered ATC vehicle it seems to be an RAF base. I possibly North Africa because of the other photos. The only clue is the distinctive caves behind the buildings.

Any help would appreciated. My friend feels guilty about selling the stuff so I've said I'll try and see if I can find a home for them. Although i'm not sure where that may be.

Bee Companeeee

1569430494843.png

1569430550621.png

1569430661944.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
A friend who manages a charity shop (small local charity) has asked me about the contents of a metal box that was recently donated from the estate of a deceased person. Inside was an RAF Form 2520A Service and Release Book. In the name of LAC 133085 George William Stevens. He served from 21/1/41 to 29/5/46. Of that he served in the Middle East from 15/9/41 to 11/10/45 maintaining aircraft safety equipment . Beside that there is about 120 photographs from WW2. About half the photographs are 10.5cm x 6.25cm (with slight variations). They depict a variety of scenes from North Africa in WW2. They depict a variety of military scenes such as Montgomery and Churchill inspecting troops. Military personnel at work. Destroyed enemy vehicles, sadly a number are of dead troops, German prisoners, British tanks. Some appear to be taken during battle or just after.
I've seen similar but these have a purple stamp on the back that says 'Official Photograph. Passed by Publicity Censor. This is surmounted by the Kings Crown. There is also a unique 5 digit number on them all with some having a secondary number stamped of 2 or 3 digits.

Do any of our residents have any knowledge of these photographs and can share their expertise.

There are also about 40 slightly smaller photos about 8cm x 5cm. These all appear to relate to North Africa as they are of the wartime leaders in that area and show things such as the French General Giraud presenting Eisenhower with a medal, Churchill, Gaul, Montgomery as well as again lots of scenes of military life and destroyed German aircraft.These have no markings on the back. Having researched them I have found some of the same pictures on the internet so they are clearly reprints but appear to be of WW2 Vintage. I'm wondering if they were available to purchase by servicemen without cameras as some have photo corners on where they appear to have come from an album.

And lastly. Its a real long shot. But does anyone recognise the location in the photograph of the open air Church Service. From the chequered ATC vehicle it seems to be an RAF base. I possibly North Africa because of the other photos. The only clue is the distinctive caves behind the buildings.

Any help would appreciated. My friend feels guilty about selling the stuff so I've said I'll try and see if I can find a home for them. Although i'm not sure where that may be.

Bee Companeeee

View attachment 419054

View attachment 419055
View attachment 419058
Try the IWM I am sure they'd take them.

I wonder whether the chap had been considering writing a book, a mix of personal and official photos .... ?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer

Bee Companeeee

View attachment 419054

View attachment 419055
View attachment 419058
show us more please

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

Bee Companeeee

View attachment 419054

View attachment 419055
View attachment 419058
I can see masons marks on the cave walls, so it may well be a quarry, they often worked them this way to leave a safe bearing for the upper levels, Sicily has loads like that

Tagged for more of these pics - keep em coming !

Bee Companeeee

Old-Salt
I can see masons marks on the cave walls, so it may well be a quarry, they often worked them this way to leave a safe bearing for the upper levels, Sicily has loads like that
That makes more sense sense than random caves. I think it's a case of if someone has seen the location before and recognises it then result. If not the location will never be known.
And I've just realized there are 4 women in the picture, bet they extr popular.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
That makes more sense sense than random caves. I think it's a case of if someone has seen the location before and recognises it then result. If not the location will never be known.
And I've just realized there are 4 women in the picture, bet they extr popular.
perhaps nurses ?
its a pity the image has been cropped as the background would show more
I can see what appears to be a concrete defensive position on the far right, perhaps its is also near the coastline ?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Try the IWM I am sure they'd take them.
The IWM will take anything for free - then charge people to use them! :p

ugly

LE
The IWM will take anything for free - then charge people to use them! :p
If you can ever find them again. Museums never put as much emphasis on a collection as an individual can, thankfully the internet is allowing collections to be published.

Latest Threads