Official: Water boarding ISN'T Torture

According to the American I was listening to on Radio 4 this morning, water boarding isn't torture and the US didn't torture Gitmo suspects, it was "enhanced interrogation".

Well I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned waterboarding IS torture, as are stress positions and sleep deprivation.

Discuss.

Have the Americans ever initiated war crimes or other proceedings against people for waterboarding?

Im not sure about classing sleep deprivation as Torture, given the aim is to disorientate and confuse rather than harm or intimidate I am a bit more ambivalent as to its use.

Have the Americans ever initiated war crimes or other proceedings against people for waterboarding?

The Japanese in WWII? Pretty sure they were frothing at the mouth when they iscovered PoWs had been waterboarded.

The Yanks hanged Japanese Imperial Army and Navy personnel who had water-boarded PWs. I would dig out a link but am trying to get some work done.

Water boarding ISN'T Torture? Well you are obviously not doing it right.

According to the American I was listening to on Radio 4 this morning, water boarding isn't torture and the US didn't torture Gitmo suspects, it was "enhanced interrogation".

Well I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned waterboarding IS torture, as are stress positions and sleep deprivation.

Discuss.

I'd love to, but now that a precedent has been set, I'm off to try my hand at some 'enhanced' chat up techniques.

dm.jpg

Im not sure about classing sleep deprivation as Torture, given the aim is to disorientate and confuse rather than harm or intimidate I am a bit more ambivalent as to its use.

The recently released report mentions that many of the detainees spent up to 180 hours in that state. That's some level of disorientation and confusion wouldn't you think?

I don't see the difference between sleep deprivation and waterboarding. Both are very unpleasant and neither is intended to harm.

I actually don't care if its torture... Bad stuff happens in war.

Last edited:

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
Surely the important question isn't what was done, but whether it generated useful information? If it did, then it had a societal benefit albeit at a debatable moral cost. If it didn't then it was pointless sadism.

While I bear John MaCain no ill, I do not think it is helpful for him to state that torture doesn't work. My own impression is that when someone enters my cell with a hosepipe, pliers and cattle prods I am likely to spill the beans at some stage... this is consistent with what I heard on the one R2I course that I attended (thankfully in a nice warm classroom in an abstract sort of way).

I'll accept that it's not torture the moment it becomes standard practice for all legal and political bigwigs to undergo it just to show how non-torturey it is.

Well, I had to go through a CS chamber and that's not a chemical weapon, is it?

Is carrying 40lbs and having a pti beast you over 10 miles torture.
To someone with no military intentions it probobly would be.
My concern is that if I was in gitmo I almost certainly would have told them who did what, And I don't even know who did what.
It is a lazy unintelligent substitution for professional intorregation and has been known as such since the Roman Empire.

Squarehead

Old-Salt
Just entice them to talk with the offer of coffee (Kenco), biscuits (Foxes Selection),a packet of cigarettes and the sweetener of a UK passport in the interview room. They'll tell you all you want and if not, release them with a smile on yer face and first class travel to Disneyland (Wives and kids go free too)!

Latest Threads