Official - UK Plc Iraq Escape Plan Under Development

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Stonker, Oct 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's Official - UK Plc Iraq Escape Plan Is Under Development

BBC R4 News 22 Oct 2006 1300hrs UK time:

"The Defence Secretary Des Browne has said that he believes security forces in southern Iraq might be able to take over from British troops in 12 months time. He said negotiations to transfer responsibility to the Iraqis were already well advanced."

Hear it in full:]The World This Weekend[/url]
  2. Do you really believe anything that man says ??
  3. and in other news today: Pope converts to islam. Bears order portaloos.
    Leave Iraq in 12 months? if i remember rightly they said that last year.............
  4. Indeed they may Des, indeed they may

6. Sounds like....runaway, retreat, surrender!
  7. The Exodus: 1.6m Iraqis have fled their country since the war
    By Patrick Cockburn
    Published: 23 October 2006
    Iraq is in flight.
    Everywhere inside and outside the country, Iraqis who once lived in their own houses cower for safety six or seven to a room in hovels.

Many go after they have been threatened. Often they leave after receiving an envelope with a bullet inside and a scrawled note telling them to get out immediately. Others flee after a relative has been killed, believing they will be next.

Out of the population of 26 million, 1.6 million Iraqis have fled the country and a further 1.5 million are displaced within Iraq, according to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees. In Jordan alone there are 500,000 Iraqi refugees and a further 450,000 in Syria. In Syria alone they are arriving at the rate of 40,000 a month.

It is one of the largest long-term population movements in the Middle East since Israel expelled Palestinians in the 1940s. Few of the Iraqis taking flight now show any desire to return to their homes. The numbers compelled to take to the roads have risen dramatically this year with 365,000 new refugees since the bombing of the Shia shrine in Samara in February.

Full article
  8. Here's another Neue Arbeit voice prepping the extraction . . .

Iraq war could be judged a disaster, Beckett admits
    By Philip Webster, Political Editor
    The Times 24 Oct 2006

IRAQ could break up into different parts eventually, Margaret Beckett, the Foreign Secretary, said yesterday as she acknowledged the limitations to what could be achieved by coalition forces.

She also accepted that the invasion might come to be judged as a foreign policy disaster for Britain. Mrs Beckett’s admission comes as two opinion polls reveal that most Britons would like British troops to be pulled out either immediately or by Christmas.

On the day that Iraq appealed to the international community not to “cut and run”, Mrs Beckett said she envisaged Iraq being left behind as a democratic country, which could cope and that was back on its feet. She said it had been overoptimistic for people to imagine that in three years Iraq would have a democracy like Britain’s, which had taken hundreds of years to develop.

But asked whether Iraq might fragment she said: “Everyone has been very keen to keep everyone together, but in the longer term . . . it is not for us to say, ‘You will do this or you will do that’.”

Pressed on whether it would be a disaster if Iraq split up, she replied: “If that is what they want and they feel it is workable that is another matter.”

Click for full story
  9. In Full

© Reuters
  10. Evidently, it's catching:

Full Report (2 more pages)
    © Reuters
  11. . . . makes it look even more likely that we will . . . . or is it just me? 8)
  12. . . . and on Halloween (in the debate over an inquiry into the Iraq debacle):

House of Commons debates
    Tuesday, 31 October 2006

Margaret Beckett:
    The Government share the Prime Minister's determination—as, I have no doubt, does every Member of the House—to see responsibility pass to Iraqi police and security forces. That is fundamental to the coalition's strategy for progressively scaling down military support to the Iraqi Government. British soldiers are doing an astounding job in the most difficult of circumstances, as they do whenever and wherever they are called on; so, too, are a large number of British civilians—civil servants, policemen and women, aid workers and many more, many of whom I met in Basra not long ago. I am sure that all Members, whatever their view of the motion, would recognise the bravery and sacrifice of those people. That contribution is essential in support of the future in Iraq.

The new Iraqi army is getting more capable and more confident. It is increasingly non-sectarian. Two of the 10 divisions of that new army have already been transferred to the direct control of the Iraqi Government, and more will follow in the coming months. Therefore, in spite of the violence, we are seeing major strides towards equipping the Iraqi Government with the tools that they need to protect their people without relying on indefinite help from the international community.

Two entire provinces, al-Muthanna and Dhi Qar, have already been handed over to Iraqi control, and more will soon follow. In our area of responsibility in the south, we hope that Maysan province will also have been handed over by the end of the year. A central aim of our current efforts in Basra is to get that province to the point where it, too, is ready to be handed over to Iraqi lead security control. We hope that that can be accomplished at some point next spring. We share the hope recently expressed by the commander of the multinational force in Iraq that all 18 provinces can be handed over to Iraqi control by the end of 2007.
  13. And again in Parliament, last night, it seems:

In Full

Audio report (*.ram,*.wma, *.mp3) available - from Australia - HERE
  14. Well I don't want to say it but.....

I told you so.
  15. In Full HERE

" . . . this does not mean a withdrawal" except in the sense that we will be withdrawing (nearly) all of our troops?

I'm all ears . . . . 8)