• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Official terms of address for Sergeants

Can someone tell me the official terms of address for the sergeant grades in the British Army?

In the US Army, the ranks of Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Sergeant First Class and Master Sergeant are addressed as 'Sergeant',

First Sergeants are 'First Sergeant' and Sergeant Majors and Command Sergeant Majors are 'Sergeant Major'.

Depends on where you are in the food chain.

If you are pondlife like me then it goes

Sergeant.

Staff or Colour (possibly other tribal variations in some of the more outlaying regions of the military)

Sir.

If you are somewhere else on the payscale then your mileage may vary.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
It also depends which unit you serve in too.

For example, in some units, you might say guvnor, or boss, in others you might say Sargeant. You might also call them 'colour' or 'sir'.

If you are in the navy, you call them 'darling' or 'sweetie'

Sergeant = "Sergeant"

Colour Sergeant/Staff Sergeant = "Colour Sergeant" /" Staff Sergeant" or "Colour"/"Staff" or sometimes the appointment if in a CQMS/SQM slot ie "Q"

WO2 in a Sergeant Major appointment = "Sergeant Major" or sometimes "CSM"/"ASM"

WO2 in a non-Sergeant Major appointment = "Mister" or appointment title eg "RQ"/"Chief Clerk"/"Master Chef" or just "Q" if appropriately trained & badged.

WO1 in an RSM slot = "RSM", in a non-RSM slot same rules as for WO2.

I'm sure there are other vagaries I've missed.

TheQuietProfessional said:
Can someone tell me the official terms of address for the sergeant grades in the British Army?

In the US Army, the ranks of Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, Sergeant First Class and Master Sergeant are addressed as 'Sergeant',

First Sergeants are 'First Sergeant' and Sergeant Majors and Command Sergeant Majors are 'Sergeant Major'.
Aren't the drill sergeants referred to as Drill Sergeant too?

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT

What is the matter with your previous usernames? :roll: :wink:

Fugly said:

What is the matter with your previous usernames? :roll: :wink:
Well spotted :x

Biped said:
It also depends which unit you serve in too.

For example, in some units, you might say guvnor, or boss, in others you might say Sargeant. You might also call them 'colour' or 'sir'.

If you are in the navy, you call them 'darling' or 'sweetie'

:clap: :clap: :clap:

For the Scots Guards- Lance Sergeant (don't ask) and Sergeant it's "Sergeant", everybody else is "Sir".

Dilfor said:
Sergeant = "Sergeant"

Colour Sergeant/Staff Sergeant = "Colour Sergeant" /" Staff Sergeant" or "Colour"/"Staff" or sometimes the appointment if in a CQMS/SQM slot ie "Q"

WO2 in a non-Sergeant Major appointment = "Mister" or appointment title eg "RQ"/"Chief Clerk"/"Master Chef" or just "Q" if appropriately trained & badged.

Thank you for the information - much more complicated than the US Army.

The Royal Air Force used to call Chief Warrant Officers "STUPID" .. no change here, then.
I don't understand. Is this British humor??

Dilfor said:

If you're junior to WO2/WO1, "Sir"

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice to see someone in denial...

If "Chief 1-2-3", aka "TheNoisyAmateur" was British, he could get his problem treated for free on the NHS.

How many medals and flying hours have you got now, you faintly amusing moron?

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
He's gone quiet again. Must be busy digging out another massive picture of some random bloke that no-one has ever heard of, so it will oversize the page. Again. Then maybe he'll quote some regulations.

Dilfor said:
Sergeant = "Sergeant"

WO1 in an RSM slot = "RSM", in a non-RSM slot same rules as for WO2. b]

An ASM (Artificer Sergeant Major is a WO1 and would be addressed normally as Sir as would an RSM or any WO1. A WO2 Artificer is an AQMS and would usually be addressed as "Q"[/