Official Service Numbers

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Andrew Craik, Jul 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there !
    How can I track down my grandfathers Service Number ?
    He was in the 2nd Dragoon Guards from 1920 to 1924.
    His name is Andrew Wilson Craik. B. 1901 Died 1960.
    We would like to purchase a copy of his service records but we
    believe we require his service number first ! (?)
    We are happy to pay, just can't seem to navigate our way thru
    the DOD maze. (or is it Nat. Archives)

Regards........Lynn. Email:
  2. Speak to the records office, from memory they can do a search without his Army number.
  3. They may also need his place of birth, as I think that is one of the key identifiers.
  4. Well that is my decendants fcuked then as "test tube" is not recognised in any postcode finder!
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I very much doubt that my father's place of birth had anything to do with his service number. In 1958 they were allocated by Regiment/Corps, and they had been for a long time before that.

Given that your Grandfather was probably in his mid to late 20's (I only say that because he may have been looking for 3 squares during the Depression) when he ended his service, there is a (strong) possibility that he would have been called up for the Home Guard in WWII and should have service records from this time. They would almost certainly have taken details of his former service at this time.
  6. Place of birth will differentiate between soldiers who have the same name and enlisted at more or less the same period.

From the clues given in the OP, he was 19 when he joined and 23 when he left (give or take a year). What the Depression has to do with it I don't know, given that it was a 1930s phenomenon, not a 1920s.

He would have been 38 at the start of WW2 which could, potentially, have put him in the bracket for conscription up until 1942 (upper age limit 41). He may have been conscripted, he could have joined the LDV/Home Guard, he could have been in a reserved occupation or he may have just decided to jog on with normal life.
  7. Back at Lynn:

I hope you have some success with your search and if you do, please let us know the outcome and the routes you had to take to get there.

I'm particularly interested as my grandfather, Albert E Norton, was born the same year, also served in some horsey unit in India (don't know which unit nor how long for) and in WW2, ended up as an Air Dispatcher at Arnhem. For years I was convinced that his number was 10737364 (he told me that he could remember his number because the first two digits are 10 and each pair of digits thereafter summed to 10), but I've recently been led to believe that I've got the combination of digits wrong, i.e. could be 10646473 or similar.

I don't suppose as a child you were entertained by the song, "I've sat in this saddle for hours and hours, I've stuck it as long as I could, But I'm damned if I'll stick it an longer, any longer, My arsehole is not made of wood, wood, wood." I've not found any trace of it on the internet, but it could be a clue as to his unit.
  8. I will ping you the address for APC Historic Records tomorrow up in Glasgow, best writing to them with as much info as possible