Official - Scotland run by wimmen.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
With today's crowning of Sturgeon as First Minister that means the top jobs are all held by the distaff side. First Minister, Tory Leader and temp Labour spokesperson are all of the female persuasion. On top of that the Presiding Officer or Speaker is also a non-male.

I wonder if weekly Questions will turn into a bitch-fight! Could make politics more interesting :pounce:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
And despite hundreds of years of complaining when given the chance to vote for independence they bottled it......
Harsh ... but fair.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And despite hundreds of years of complaining when given the chance to vote for independence they bottled it......
I wonder if anyone has done a gender breakdown of the referendum voting?

With today's crowning of Sturgeon as First Minister that means the top jobs are all held by the distaff side. First Minister, Tory Leader and temp Labour spokesperson are all of the female persuasion. On top of that the Presiding Officer or Speaker is also a non-male.

I wonder if weekly Questions will turn into a bitch-fight! Could make politics more interesting :pounce:

Misread that l thought you said Sturgeon was crowing, nothing new there

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
The thread has been pruned (quite drastically once all of the moronic 'comedy' was stripped out).

Cretinous dribbling in CA is discouraged. More than a few people have been here long enough to know that different posting standards apply in different parts of the site.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Shame, you could have just shifted it to NAAFI, where I really should have put it in the first place I suppose. Still plenty of space to crayon on the farewell to Wee Eck as that does not seem to have breeched Mod sensibilities yet.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
It's interesting that we still opine on gender diversity in the workplace as it is the best part of half a century since the Ford ladies kicked the ball off in the back end of the sixties. The EU has determined that boards should be 30% female, the US is trying to hit 20% and the FTSE currently sits at 16%.

Positive discrimination has been in play in the US in terms of disability and race for a number of years and it is generally accepted to have not been quite the glory fest it was intended to be. Enough said.

We all like some good old jibes in the NAAFI but this is CA. In 2014 are we really bothered about what the gender is or is there little else in the news of import and thus oxygen must be given to imagined concerns?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I

We all like some good old jibes in the NAAFI but this is CA. In 2014 are we really bothered about what the gender is or is there little else in the news of import and thus oxygen must be given to imagined concerns?

I don't think people are. AY was commenting on it being unique at the moment for all three major parties currently being led by women (he forgot about Willie Rennie of the Scot Lib Dems but don't we all?).

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I don't think people are. AY was commenting on it being unique at the moment for all three major parties currently being led by women (he forgot about Willie Rennie of the Scot Lib Dems but don't we all?).
I didn't so much forget as bypassed Willie Rennie as well as Patrick Harvie of the Greens as they both sit so far back in the back benches as to almost be in the visitors gallery.

It is unusual to have women in such prominent places at the same time and if Sarah Boyack wins the Labour leader contest (which I doubt) then it will be knitting all along the front benches :cool: for a while!

I didn't so much forget as bypassed Willie Rennie as well as Patrick Harvie of the Greens as they both sit so far back in the back benches as to almost be in the visitors gallery.

It is unusual to have women in such prominent places at the same time and if Sarah Boyack wins the Labour leader contest (which I doubt) then it will be knitting all along the front benches :cool: for a while!
Ruthy knitting?

Despite a sharp resemblance to a once popular cross-dressing entertainer Nicola Sturgeon has already stamped her authority on many important areas of Scottish government policy, vowing that no grape will remain uncrushed.

SK.png

Ms Wee Jimmy Sturgeon on hearing the bad news at FM Questions and then hearing it again at school

In particular, Ms Sturgeon has vowed to increase the level of winter fuel payments to Scottish pensioners up to a level of fandabidozi whilst at the same time being a cheeky wee scamp and playing jinks. A feared budget deficit will be avoided through a robust policy of no buying sweeties at break and “gi’ing half ma dinner money tae granny fer tae put away. Honestly a will”.

Asked if her administration was still prepared to engage in multilateral negotiations on the question of amending the Stockholm fiscal concordat Ms Krankie put both her thumbs up, said “aye!”, laughed uncontrollably and fell off her husband’s knee.

Women in politics - when they're good, they're outstanding - viz Thatcher, Meir etc - but when they're bad they're a nightmare; Abbott, Harman .... got to stop there, I feel ill.

Just like the men in politics, really, although in other spheres I have to say that I tend to trust a female pilot to have her mind on the work at hand.
(I was going to continue with: instead of the BJs to be had on landing at the next overnight, but this is CA).

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
@Auld-Yin, it may indeed be run by 'wimmen' in the effete eastern side of the country however here in the west 'wummin' still hold sway. During the referendum I gained a sneaking regard for Ruth Davidson for her sheer ability however seeing Sturgeon just makes my bile rise, whether she adopts the style of leadership championed by AS remains to be seen.

In 2014 are we really bothered about what the gender is or is there little else in the news of import and thus oxygen must be given to imagined concerns?
On reflection, I'd have to say we are. So long as the automatic assumption about a successful woman (or ethnic minority, gay, etc.) is that positive discrimination allowed them to get where they are, then we are still a biased society.

So long as the automatic assumption is that a white heterosexual male didn't get the job for reasons other than not being the best candidate, we need to be concerned about discrimination. It very much still exists.

Latest Threads