• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Official 2007 Poppy Appeal Tribute/Remembrance Video

This is PoppyScotland's 2007 Poppy Appeal vid. It's currently being shown at events in Scotland, but isn't released online. Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDmYnZDUMc

And when you're done looking, cast a vote or make a comment. The more comments and votes that are made, the more exposure the video gets, and the more donations are made to the Poppy Appeal.

*Edited (twice) to make post clearer

Sandbanks said:
Sorry guys -going off thread here. Great avatar RFUK; just like one of those Bridget the Midget movies. Back on thread.
Thanks. I've always been a fan of midgets!

Anyway, get voting and commenting! The more votes & comments the video gets, the more popular it becomes, the more people see it, the more people are affected by it and ultimately, the more people start wearing poppies and donating to the appeal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brDmYnZDUMc

Great video and very moving. I do have a couple of questions to anyone who can explain.

1) Why was Cpl Wright awarded the George cross rather than the V.C?

2) How does "poppy scotland" differ fro the standard RBL poppy apeal?

I voted but did not comment as I can't locate my password at the mo.

Perturbed said:
Great video and very moving. I do have a couple of questions to anyone who can explain.

1) Why was Cpl Wright awarded the George cross rather than the V.C?

2) How does "poppy scotland" differ fro the standard RBL poppy apeal?

I voted but did not comment as I can't locate my password at the mo.
1) Because he rescued lads from a minefield. The VC is awarded for actions in direct contact with the enemy.

2) PoppyScotland is a separate charity which runs the poppy appeal in Scotland. The RBL only run it in England and Wales.

Cpl Wright was awarded the GC instead of the VC because the action in which he died was not in the face of the enemy. The mine field was of an old russia era. He was a good bloke, I had the fortunate opportunitiy to have met him whilst at Sangin, Afghanistan 2006.

Lest we forget.

RFUK said:
2) PoppyScotland is a separate charity which runs the poppy appeal in Scotland. The RBL only run it in England and Wales.
Thank you for that RFUK, I didn't know that. How much cross-funding is there between the two. I ask, because presumably the poppy boxes down here in England collect purely for the RBL and not the Scottish equivalent. I might need to adjust my funding and send some up North of the Border if there is limited cross funding. What about NI?

Sorry if nobody knows the ins and outs.

Jimima

ps Will go and vote and comment now.

blobmeister said:
Cpl Wright was awarded the GC instead of the VC because the action in which he died was not in the face of the enemy. The mine field was of an old russia era. He was a good bloke, I had the fortunate opportunitiy to have met him whilst at Sangin, Afghanistan 2006.

Lest we forget.
A couple of years ago, I was unlucky enough to wander into a minefield in Afghanistan. We managed to get out unscathed, but when I think back at how much I shat myself, it puts into perspective what he (and the blokes with him) did that day.

Jimima_Shark said:
RFUK said:
Thank you for that RFUK, I didn't know that. How much cross-funding is there between the two. I ask, because presumably the poppy boxes down here in England collect purely for the RBL and not the Scottish equivalent. I might need to adjust my funding and send some up North of the Border if there is limited cross funding. What about NI?
I think there's a fair bit of cross-funding. I know that PoppyScotland makes large donations from its profits to other service charities (combat stress, etc.).

I don't know the situation in NI, although I presume the RBL deals with it.

RFUK said:
Jimima_Shark said:
RFUK said:
I think there's a fair bit of cross-funding. I know that PoppyScotland makes large donations from its profits to other service charities (combat stress, etc.).

I don't know the situation in NI, although I presume the RBL deals with it.
Not to step on anyone's toes here but the RBL do not operate in Scotland, though they do cover NI. Quote 'The Royal British Legion provides assistance worldwide(except Scotland) in a number of ways'
This job is done by the RBL Scotland. Quote 'Royal British Legion Scotland is a separate charity which provides comradeship for ex-Servive personnel in Scotland through it's network of branches. It does not provide individual welfare grants these are the province of the Earl Haig fund...'
Following on from that, the poppy part of the Earl Haig Fund has rebranded to PoppyScotland.The name Earl Haig continues but it was decided in these modern times a more immediate impact image was req'd.
Poppyscotland although best known for the poppy appeal, also raise funds by other means, such as Run the Road and opera evenings.
I am sure by now those of you reading this are getting bored so can I just direct you to the following.
http://www.rblscotland.org/
http://www.poppyscotland.org.uk
http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

Thanks for the answers guys. I still have a follow on question though.

It has been claimed that the actions of Cpl Wright where not in response to direct enemy action. Yet from the description on the linked video it would seem that is exactly what he was dealing with.

To reiterate. The vid description makes it seem as though he/they where observed by an enemy that was directly triggering the "mines".

Have I missed something? Again, from the description it sounds like he and his team was under directed atack.

Perturbed,

They were in a minefield and set off several mines, left over from the Russian invasion. He controlled the incident even though terribly injured, which later cost him his life. There were no enemy present which means he cannot receive the VC, but bare in mind the GC is the equivalent in terms of valour when not in the face of the enemy and should not therefore be viewed in a lesser light.

An incredibly courageous man.

Latest Threads