Officers who are also Lords

Discussion in 'Officers' started by CaptainBlackadder, Sep 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Just a quick question as I've never had the fortune to come across this before.

If an Officer also holds a noble title, eg he is also a Viscount or an Earl etc, how are they addressed by the Troops and, more importantly to my question, other Officers. Looking around, it would seem that Viscounts are to be addressed as 'My Lord'. So if I am Captain the Viscount Blackadder then would a Lieutenant Colonel be required to call me 'My Lord'??

Food for thought!

Capt B

2. Long day CaptainBlackAdder?!

3. I met a Viscount once. He was covered in grease and shit of his Tank.

Proper gent he was, offered me a bacon butty. Only time I can remember declining food, ever! boy was his hands, as they proffered the butty, filthy. My reply was "No thanks Sir...Just had breakfast. Sir seemed to be an OK form of address as he later offered me some 'Snuff'.

<edit for lexdixe yer/>

4. Viscounts are addressed as 'Your Grace', but they would be introduced as 'Lord .....'

Oik

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

No they aren't. That's a Duke.

6. Apologies, I stand corrected. :oops:

7. From wiki:

8. One of the stories that was flying round Middle Wallop (unintentional) when I was there:

There was an officer on his pilot's course (late seventies/early eighties) who was the Marquess of Droitwich (or something like that) and he apparently used to joke that people should call him "Sir sir".

But one day while hovering/taxiing , the cab door popped open and leaning across to shut it, he unfortunately took the cyclic with him. The cab piled in (bigtime) and most people from then on just called him "Cnut". But those who thought he still deserved some sort of respect called him "Sir cnut" or "Cnut sir". :wink:

9. We had an 'Honourable' at Sandhurst whilst I was there who was invariably The 'Orrible Mr ***** by our CSM.

A little later on whilst in Ireland we had an army pilot attached to us, a Cav import to the AAC, who had his blood group on the back of his flying helmet in Dymo tape: it read 'BLUE'. Very droll.

10. Ive bumped into 2 Princes whilst they have been in uniform on normal duties. Just "Sir" did the trick both times.

Actually I called the ginger one "mate" when I bumped into him, whilst he was on his mobile outside the NAAFI in Lydd. Scruffy fucker!

11. Lord Valentine Cecil when he was at Staff College used to go to TEWTS and the like in his chauffeur driven Rolls and always had the best packed lunch!

It's also said that His Grace the Duke of Westminster had his Range Rover FFRd when he commanded his Yeomanry.

12. If you're a fellow officer use their first name or 'Sir' as your Regtl traditions dictate. If you are not an Officer 'Sir' is sufficient when addressing them and when referring to them the usual form is Mr... (whatever surname they have taken), from 2Lt to Capt and then by their rank from there on, e,g. Maj xxxx etc. Let the Mess Manager and Adjutant worry what their proper titles should be, if the officer in question is really bothered he's more than likely a dick and not worth the effort.

13. It may be worth enquiring with some members of the HAC, I understand that they even had some enlisted chaps once who were knights!

&c,
    ~D.C.

14. We had an Hon and a prince,but he was Russian so it didn't matter, and some years latter he had a bit of a problem, when caught in a Manchester hotel with an under-age prostitute