Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Officers vs Common Soldiers... what exactly IS the difference...

You did say you were on £40k / year (ish) I believe - 2/3 of that is £26.6k / year; rounding it up to £27k seems fair.
Nice try, but I actually said £40k + I think you'll find.
I then went on to say later that about £30k rather than £27k was probably more accurate but our erstwhile friend is a bit blinkered in that respect.
He seems to feel that leaving the army and only earning £30k a year would be something to be ashamed of?

I then went on to say later that about £30k rather than £27k was probably more accurate but our erstwhile friend is a bit blinkered in that respect.
He seems to feel that leaving the army and only earning £30k a year would be something to be ashamed of?
If it were much over 40, then most people would have put that - so 27k to 30k is roughly roughly that.

I pass no judgement on the salaries of others - my dad had to graft his balls off for his entire life to earn a pittance; I am lucky that I fell into a job after the army which gave me a niche expertise, then to another bank that now rewards me well for not a huge amount of effort (hopefully it will last!).

Genuinely, I've been round most messes in my Corps and never once have I seen cake on offer at tea time (toast and occasionally biscuits if you are lucky), and never before 1600.
I suspect the idle, greedy, workshy cake-scoffers were having it all good and early, to avoid having to share it with the likes of you . . . .

Anyone leaving after their IP point who cant earn more than 30k should be ashamed.
No wonder you are clinging on.

If it were much over 40, then most people would have put that - so 27k to 30k is roughly roughly that.

I pass no judgement on the salaries of others - my dad had to graft his balls off for his entire life to earn a pittance; I am lucky that I fell into a job after the army which gave me a niche expertise, then to another bank that now rewards me well for not a huge amount of effort (hopefully it will last!).
Yeah, I'm happy to concede that point to you I suppose - I just don't like being misquoted. ;)

Rightly or wrongly the opportunities to just stay employed by the army (NRPS followed by FTRS) just kept coming along. I never fancied trying LE and being not professionally qualified in anything that might have translated to a worthwhile career change in civvy street (bar the 4 O levels I left school with) I just stayed. Best decision I ever made to be honest.
I totally don't understand the contempt and scorn displayed by certain members on here for having remained in a well-paid job that suits me. I only ventured onto this thread to offer some constructive advice and 1 simple fact, yet within a few short posts, I'm besieged by rude morons indulging in a pissing contest.

Bank work you say? I'd be interested to know what your army background was if you wish to take it to PM? Just curious. :)

Anyone leaving after their IP point who cant earn more than 30k should be ashamed.
No wonder you are clinging on.
You're entitled to your opinion I suppose.

I'd be interested to see proof of your £60+k a year "job" that you're engaged in now I must say. Seeing as how you left the army as an overweight blanket stacker. You'll forgive my cynicism of course ... ;)

You're entitled to your opinion I suppose.

I'd be interested to see proof of your £60+k a year "job" that you're engaged in now I must say. Seeing as how you left the army as an overweight blanket stacker. You'll forgive my cynicism of course ... ;)

How embarrassing for you that you don't even have the capabilities to find these jobs yourself, talk about institutionalised.
I said I was on about a grand a week not 60k, however I'm getting anothet pay rise next month so will indeed be taking home 60k.
Thats not a boast by the way, merely pointing out how sad it is that you cant manage to find a decent paying jobs after decades in the army.