Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officers vs Common Soldiers... what exactly IS the difference...

Like a militia, then?
A lot of militaries either don't have pad houses (or very limited amounts).
Its a good idea in theory, just as PAYD is...

Dear God, hideous.
The Sloane Ranger guide circa 1878 shows the correct kit for the covert off duty chap - Gucci loafers with snaffles, jeans with sensible Sackville Street sourced shirt and a dark blue Guernsey jersey topped off with a scruffy Barbour. Hats were optional, but sensible battered trilby or tweed flat hat.
How do you explain the late-90's penchant for Fat Face tops avec cords and leather yard-boots? Twickenham for the Army/Navy rugby became the offer class sartorial equivalent of sticky toffee pud and gravy.

How do you explain the late-90's penchant for Fat Face tops avec cords and leather yard-boots? Twickenham for the Army/Navy rugby became the offer class sartorial equivalent of sticky toffee pud and gravy.
Sorry I can't explain the systematic drop in sartorial standards. As someone who marched off before that, and was a product of the SMC course I put it down to an excess of University types - 80% graduate I ask you!
Diversity and spreading the love is all well and good but it did f all for those wonderful shops in the Sackville Street neck of the woods and boosted the shares in those on the peg retailers.

An Officers smoke of choice, Marlboro Lights, purchased by a third party on their behalf, from a reputable tobacconist.

Marlboro lights says it all. Sullivan Powell's finest Oriental fags and Camel, when they were a blend of Virginia and Jenidje, were all that were burned by this hairy Arssed.
Ok, full fat Marlboro, Woodbines, Navy Cut, Capstan and Senior Sevice often sufficed but toting the gold & white packet is and was tantamount to admitting to looking through curtain fabric swatches, matching paints and jumping over puddles.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Common soldiers belong in the NAAFI bar.

Tis you that is out of place here good Sir.

Now, kindly take your mustard strides, brogues and leather elbows off to a wine bar, posh bistro or some such establishment more befitting of a gentleman of such wit and discretion.

I'll just LOL around in here .. ;):cool:

Always fun to p1ss out the uninvited d1ck ruperts from the ORs' bar when and where such existed.
"Sir, your prescence here is neither requested nor needed."
Our own bods understood. Other twots argued the toss. Even more hilarity.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Sorry I can't explain the systematic drop in sartorial standards. As someone who marched off before that, and was a product of the SMC course I put it down to an excess of University types - 80% graduate I ask you!
Diversity and spreading the love is all well and good but it did f all for those wonderful shops in the Sackville Street neck of the woods and boosted the shares in those on the peg retailers.

It's worse than that. There's a passing out pic on the site of a group of signallers from RMAS, IIRC. It reeks of queefery and weakness.

It's worse than that. There's a passing out pic on the site of a group of signallers from RMAS, IIRC. It reeks of queefery and weakness.
Dear God. What was seen cannot be unseen.

I was only just able to find my happy place before you brought up memories of "that" photograph.

You sound surprised? It was the Signals for fuck sakes.

And in that short example, I think you have just hot the nail squarely on the difference between Offr and ORs head.

Offrs, generally having been "educated" at university will have been exposed to woke-think and the belief that it is their inalienable right to never be offended. All forms of queefery are implicitly tolerated, if not encouraged. In search of a common identity they do stupid things like wear brightly coloured Fat Face tops, cords, and high-leg yard boots in the hope that they "fit in", when in fact we just make ourselves look like tw@ts when we go out in public. In all honesty, if we were true to ourselves we'd just wear jeans, trainers, and a Super Dry polo shirt, but we daren't because that voice in the back of the head suggests some invisible cav to55er of a Maj somewhere is judging us. It's the sartorial equivalent of a seance w@nk that moderates our behaviour towards being collective bell-ends. I succumbed to it myself at one point. The ultimate expression of this dystopian future is "that" photograph which, at some point, someone genuinely thought was a good idea. FFS.

Toms on the other hand don't give a sh1t. They are what they are, love 'em or loath 'em. Having grown up in a school system most of them were bored to tears with, they just wanted to get out into the world and do something. There's no implicit pressure from a silent voice to conform to what someone thinks is the stereotype of the country male in the urban environment, or some woke value or other that they think they have to virtue signal to their superiors to get on because their immediate superiors come from the same place they did and think it's the same pile of toss they do, save for some troopy who fits the mold of a tw@t and who just gets ignored as "one of them" anyway.

It's why when you put a group of Toms together and a group of YOs together the Toms would have a picture of themselves holding a beer, wearing the footty shirt of their club, and hanging off each other having a laugh with their mates and the YOs choose to reproduce a game of silent Twister on a white backdrop in the slightly homoerotic way that made us all stand back and go "take a fukcing look at yourselves will you".

That magnificent piece of photographic genius was taken at Blandford not Sandhurst, and will truly take some beating. Rumour has it that the "foreign" student was recalled for 100 lashes to beat the homoerotic out of him.

Latest Threads