Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officers vs Common Soldiers... what exactly IS the difference...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Officers' brothels had a blue lamp.

Soldiers' was red.

JAD

LE
An Officers smoke of choice, Marlboro Lights, purchased by a third party on their behalf, from a reputable tobacconist. Never, ever inhaling and held awkwardly between the 2nd and 3rd digits. Nipped out into the ashtray with still a third of usable cigarette left. This habit is then usually extinguished by the time they reach field rank.

Common Soldiers, smoke 'owt that's on offer in ASDA that week. Ciggie pinched and cupped firmly between first finger and thumb in the style of Pte.Walker the Spiv from Dads Army. Burnt almost down to the filter before being flicked in a hail of sparking embers towards the nearest nig for them to have the last draw on. Ashtrays were optional but are always a source of combustible material should the need arise.

Incidentally, during the "Cold War" era, my rauch of choice at the beginning of the month was Embassy No.1. It tailed off mid to later on toward pay day onto Sovereign or Craven A territory. When on skid row or Ex. roll ups; liquorice paper and golden Virginia baccy. I surmise I was then, as I am still today, very common. I only just past for being a soldier too.

Dwarf

LE
Officers' brothels had a blue lamp.

Soldiers' was red.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. Might be worth its own thread in the military history section.

Stibbon

Clanker
You used "lol" in the NAAFI bar.
Now, I'm not confessing to be Lt. Columbo here, but here goes.... 'scuse me Ma'am, "I got just one more question". Are you are a common soldier?

Common soldiers belong in the NAAFI bar.

Tis you that is out of place here good Sir.

Now, kindly take your mustard strides, brogues and leather elbows off to a wine bar, posh bistro or some such establishment more befitting of a gentleman of such wit and discretion.

I'll just LOL around in here .. ;):cool:

An Officers smoke of choice, Marlboro Lights, purchased by a third party on their behalf, from a reputable tobacconist. Never, ever inhaling and held awkwardly between the 2nd and 3rd digits. Nipped out into the ashtray with still a third of usable cigarette left. This habit is then usually extinguished by the time they reach field rank.

Common Soldiers, smoke 'owt that's on offer in ASDA that week. Ciggie pinched and cupped firmly between first finger and thumb in the style of Pte.Walker the Spiv from Dads Army. Burnt almost down to the filter before being flicked in a hail of sparking embers towards the nearest nig for them to have the last draw on. Ashtrays were optional but are always a source of combustible material should the need arise.

Incidentally, during the "Cold War" era, my rauch of choice at the beginning of the month was Embassy No.1. It tailed off mid to later on toward pay day onto Sovereign or Craven A territory. When on skid row or Ex. roll ups; liquorice paper and golden Virginia baccy. I surmise I was then, as I am still today, very common. I only just past for being a soldier too.
I always found the Cold war officers fag of choice was whatever the Jocks were smoking.
I started at RMAS with Rothmans then on commissioning went to Marlboro Red tops and Camel in BAOR it was a dubious mix of Marlboro and Turkish which nearly ended my ability to complete a BFT in an acceptable time!
However never too proud to try Embassy or Sovereign!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I hope that was sarcasm writ large.

Brown brogues, red / pink strides and grandfathers jacket ( complete with elbow patches and moth eaten holes ) does not a snappy dresser make.
Dear God, hideous.
The Sloane Ranger guide circa 1878 shows the correct kit for the covert off duty chap - Gucci loafers with snaffles, jeans with sensible Sackville Street sourced shirt and a dark blue Guernsey jersey topped off with a scruffy Barbour. Hats were optional, but sensible battered trilby or tweed flat hat.

ACAB

LE
We had a young Rupert with us in West Germany. Just back from exercise and we are informed that a Commanding Officers Parade is imminent. Grumbling, we all traipse off to the shower to make ourselves look presentable. On the actual Parade the Platoon Commander got ripped a new one and locked up.

His crime: turning his shirt inside out to hide the dirt.

That was the first time I'd ever seen an officer jailed.

Dear God, hideous.
The Sloane Ranger guide circa 1878 shows the correct kit for the covert off duty chap - Gucci loafers with snaffles, jeans with sensible Sackville Street sourced shirt and a dark blue Guernsey jersey topped off with a scruffy Barbour. Hats were optional, but sensible battered trilby or tweed flat hat.
That must have been an amazing guide as John Barbour didn't invent his waxed cotton jackets until 16 years later in 1894.

Latest Threads