Officers vs Common Soldiers... what exactly IS the difference...

SmilingKnight

Old-Salt
Yeah, I'm happy to concede that point to you I suppose - I just don't like being misquoted. ;)

Rightly or wrongly the opportunities to just stay employed by the army (NRPS followed by FTRS) just kept coming along. I never fancied trying LE and being not professionally qualified in anything that might have translated to a worthwhile career change in civvy street (bar the 4 O levels I left school with) I just stayed. Best decision I ever made to be honest.
I totally don't understand the contempt and scorn displayed by certain members on here for having remained in a well-paid job that suits me. I only ventured onto this thread to offer some constructive advice and 1 simple fact, yet within a few short posts, I'm besieged by rude morons indulging in a pissing contest.

Bank work you say? I'd be interested to know what your army background was if you wish to take it to PM? Just curious. :)

Most major banks do internships for military leavers now.
There are obviously certain trades that suit it better but they take on a wide range of people.
Have an ex-guards CSM on the floor, Bootnecks, RLC, Cavalry on my intake - wide mix. If you don't have the technical ability you might have the leadership and 'get up and go'
Thread drift over

Oh dear. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?
You claimed you were on just under a grand a week "take home" as I recall.
Do the arithmetic son. That's circa £50k a year which means you must be on at least £60k a year before tax.

Or so you say ... army reject ...

I'm admiring the fact you just keep digging and make yourself look like a twat
A, Someone paying tax and NI would need to earn 70k (not 60k) to take home 50k. Hows your arithmetic now, smartarse?

B, I don't pay income tax or NI

And also because membership of the Offrs or Sgts mess is obligatory even if you never step foot inside the place. Not so Jnrs who "use" messing facilities and the NAAFI. The half-way house is the Cpl's Club which is usually just a separate area of the cookhouse and NAAFI to avoid feeding time at the zoo.

Which brings me to the other difference. Mess balls, cocktail parties and dinners. I lost count of the amount of times I'd end up having to subsidise the social habits of the middle-aged pads and their wives by having the costs of a ball or a dinner I didn't want to attend added to my mess bill whether I was there or not. Oh, and mess related secondary duties as "Silvers Member" having to waste your time counting out and then back in the knives, forks, spoons and candelabras after each event. The highlight of those shit dits being made a member of the "Wines Committee" by a joker of a PMC who knew I never touched the stuff. In reality all he wanted was a designated driver who could stay sober enough to stay on the road while he and his mates went on wine drinking jollies in the name of "buying" the shite in France. It never occurred to him that he didn't need to dick me for this, he could have just asked nicely and I might have done him a favour anyway in return for letting me off paying a fortune for the shit parties I never attended.
Ladies’ Nights on a Thursday in BAOR so the pads didn’t have their Friday night early start to the long weekend screwed up. Singlies routinely rifted for getting shiters en masse for want of anything else to do in the absence of the girlfriend who works in the U.K.

That stopped when we got a singlie PMC who also shot down the suggestion that the Summer Ball be held on a Friday.

Not forgetting the OC and his Mrs who insisted on taking Sunday lunch in the mess, complete with kids in tow. Subbies, Child Minding for the uses of, were then delighted to be the subject of complaints about lax dress standards (on dress down Sunday).

It was my ******* home.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
BS is renowned throughout Arrse as a major troll, who enjoys winding up those who engage in willy waving contests. If you feed it, it will bite. DO NOT FEED........... I have it on ignore.
Figures. Mildly amusing but a bit boring now I suppose. Thanks for the heads-up...;)

BS is renowned throughout Arrse as a major troll, who enjoys winding up those who engage in willy waving contests. If you feed it, it will bite. DO NOT FEED........... I have it on ignore.

If that because he also laughed at your claims that you were serving when the Red Army Faction murdered a member of the British Army Forces or that the police were called when your mother starting laughing and clapping when she saw a German cemetery, Aldridge?

Stibbon

Old-Salt
I'm admiring the fact you just keep digging and make yourself look like a twat
A, Someone paying tax and NI would need to earn 70k (not 60k) to take home 50k. Hows your arithmetic now, smartarse?

B, I don't pay income tax or NI
Yep, so you say chap. :rolleyes:

You crack on in Stacker-World - I'm about done with your bullshit and puerile baiting... it's been fun ...:wave:

Yep, so you say chap. :rolleyes:

You crack on in Stacker-World - I'm about done with your bullshit and puerile baiting... it's been fun ...:wave:

You keep hanging on to your security blanket of the Army mate.

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
Perhaps the last few pages supply the answer to the question 'officers-vs-common soldiers-what-exactly-is-the-difference as effectively as it can be answered. D'you think?

Everybody's a hat to an airborne crow like yourself innit? Just what the thread needs - another ****** with a chip ..
He's correct though.

You are a hat and being FTRS your blood group is Dolmio.

I believe you also have me on ignore too so you will not be offended by the following invisible statements.

You served a minimal amount of time (sans rank) in the army, decades ago, and never did an operational tour.

Your opinions on anything military related are as pointless as putting risqué underwear on your pig of a missus.

I believe you also have me on ignore too so you will not be offended by the following invisible statements.

You served a minimal amount of time (sans rank) in the army, decades ago, and never did an operational tour.

Your opinions on anything military related are as pointless as putting risqué underwear on your pig of a missus.
I'll have you know he's been "twice up at the sharp end".

The Bugsy wannabe that he is.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
He's correct though.

You are a hat and being FTRS your blood group is Dolmio.
How do you figure I'm a hat you spoonhead?

I'm well aware of what my blood group is thanks. The colour of my blood is red ( blue in me veins obviously) but since you have an obvious aversion to guys like me that went beyond the normal EED date ... I can only assume that your blood is the colour of yellow. :rolleyes:

You must be so proud ..

How do you figure I'm a hat you spoonhead?

I'm well aware of what my blood group is thanks. The colour of my blood is red ( blue in me veins obviously) but since you have an obvious aversion to guys like me that went beyond the normal EED date ... I can only assume that your blood is the colour of yellow. :rolleyes:

You must be so proud ..
Proud?

I'm erect.

Everybody's a hat to an airborne crow like yourself innit? Just what the thread needs - another ****** with a chip ..
Chips plural. We're not all peasants on 40k
Thank fcuk for that. The thought of engaging with a gold-rimmed reactolites wearing, generator mechanic genuinely makes me cough up vomit.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Chips plural. We're not all peasants on 40k

Thank fcuk for that. The thought of engaging with a gold-rimmed reactolites wearing, generator mechanic genuinely makes me cough up vomit.

You couldn't swap comments on any level with me airborne.
After a full career of being shit (cos you all were ;) ) on FH70 and AS90 you've now found your true vocation in life which is trolling and gobbing off on an internet forum. Biff told me you were all shite and now I believe him.
Stroll on ******** ..

Latest Threads