Officers vs Common Soldiers... what exactly IS the difference...

Only ever heard my uncle John use that expression - and only once, at that, back in the 1970s.

Any idea of its derivation? (Like maybe it's Cockney rhyming slang or something!. . . )
kate karney. named after a music hall singer and comedian born in southwark south london, in 1869-1950

It was you, you cnut, go on on, admit it. You double dipped your knife after buttering your toast. Cnut, cnut, and thrice-named CNUT!

You are joking, remember that I resided in the exclusive club of the WOs and Sgts Mess. We didn’t have to cater for young boys with one pip on their shoulders, so have none of this nutella bollocks. Marmite, butter, bread, and tea are the only ingredients required for tea and toast and there was never an incident of butter in the marmite or vice versa, we aren’t heathens.

The Officers in Didcot never did tea and toast. They had coffee and cake at 1500hrs.

coffee and cake at 1500hrs.
Coffee is for mornings.

Teatime is 16:30, toast is acceptable, as are Marmite and Nutella (if based in Germany, and looking to breed subbies carrying 21 lbs of avoidable adipose tissue, trust me on this, I have form) the latter is compulsory.

Coffe AND cake - at 15:00. Defies all known standards of civilised behaviour, and confirms every last thing ever rumoured about the work ethic (I larrf out loud) of those commissioned into tradesmen's corps. ^~

Cromarty

War Hero
It was you, you cnut, go on on, admit it. You double dipped your knife after buttering your toast. Cnut, cnut, and thrice-named CNUT!

That used to drive me farking nuts! And the cumgarglingfhuckknuckles who mixed coffee into the sugar bowl. Who couldn't figure out to put the sugar in first, then the coffee. It was like they'd mixed half the damn tin in. Cnuts the lot of them!

Last edited:

Stibbon

Old-Salt
That's cos civvy Street scares you witless. Soft option FTRS, for a typically useless institutionalised LE.
Seriously, no gives one about who you are in the Kate. It's a very small pond and geting smaller.
Couldn't careless about your pension, good for you if that's what motivates you: marking time till you get the pay off.
Might I add that I'm normally quite a polite but slightly sarcastic poster. It's easy to see what so many take the 7 clicks to freedom.
Just dont forget that only scum and cream rise to the surface and then only the cream gets skimmed off leaving behind the scum. You got left behind, chum #

#An unfair analogy that doesn't apply to many still serving.

Scares me witless!! Lol. I suppose that's civvy-speak for a twat who was no longer required.

Your post simply smacks of jealousy and resentment - no idea why but hey ho. I'm guessing you view yourself and anybody else who couldn't or chose not to make a life-career out of the army as "the cream" eh? :D

Stroll on fella. Oh, and for the record, I'm not LE. The nearest I'll ever get to any kind of commission would be if I became a double-glazing salesman.

Keep that one eye swivelling in it's socket ... ;)

HCL

LE
Scares me witless!! Lol. I suppose that's civvy-speak for a twat who was no longer required.

Your post simply smacks of jealousy and resentment - no idea why but hey ho. I'm guessing you view yourself and anybody else who couldn't or chose not to make a life-career out of the army as "the cream" eh? :D

Stroll on fella. Oh, and for the record, I'm not LE. The nearest I'll ever get to any kind of commission would be if I became a double-glazing salesman.

Keep that one eye swivelling in it's socket ... ;)

Sad, sad, sad institutionalised man.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Sad, sad, sad institutionalised man.
Yawn ...

Change the record fella .. if you couldn't cut it that ain't my fault ...

Latest Threads