Officers vs Common Soldiers... what exactly IS the difference...

If I recall correctly, officers´ contributions to the PRI were collected via their mess bills.
Correct, so they dont get threatened on orders.

Officers don't get threatened with disciplinary action over PRI "voluntary" contributions

View attachment 552709
From FYB.
If you want to know which officers are on the naughty step then look in the Annual Review and see who has made a "contribution" to the Regtl Museum.

That was very random. Do you need to sit down now you are done shouting at the passing cars?

That would be the position on the line between the unwashed soldiery and effete hofficers where those who sport crocs in a manly fashion reside.

Now back to your newspaper and try not to spill your Horlicks.

Correct, so they dont get threatened on orders.
And also because membership of the Offrs or Sgts mess is obligatory even if you never step foot inside the place. Not so Jnrs who "use" messing facilities and the NAAFI. The half-way house is the Cpl's Club which is usually just a separate area of the cookhouse and NAAFI to avoid feeding time at the zoo.

Which brings me to the other difference. Mess balls, cocktail parties and dinners. I lost count of the amount of times I'd end up having to subsidise the social habits of the middle-aged pads and their wives by having the costs of a ball or a dinner I didn't want to attend added to my mess bill whether I was there or not. Oh, and mess related secondary duties as "Silvers Member" having to waste your time counting out and then back in the knives, forks, spoons and candelabras after each event. The highlight of those shit dits being made a member of the "Wines Committee" by a joker of a PMC who knew I never touched the stuff. In reality all he wanted was a designated driver who could stay sober enough to stay on the road while he and his mates went on wine drinking jollies in the name of "buying" the shite in France. It never occurred to him that he didn't need to dick me for this, he could have just asked nicely and I might have done him a favour anyway in return for letting me off paying a fortune for the shit parties I never attended.

Tell us of the fall out. I want to bask in the discomfort of those involved.
Investigation over. It was pretty much the LE and WO/SNCO community that had an issue. The youth thought the photos were great. On reviewing the photos again they are potentially a bit too close to bad taste for the old boys to swallow.

HCL

LE
Tea from a machine? Shirley, tis the work of the Devil!

I'd take tea from a machine any day of the 1939 powdered elephant dung that was issued in the rat packs. Could never get the water hot enough in the mess tins for even a tea bag.
So saying the sachet of Nescafe was infinitely pref as post prandial beverage with the Player's No 6.
Chin chin.

Investigation over. It was pretty much the LE and WO/SNCO community that had an issue. The youth thought the photos were great. On reviewing the photos again they are potentially a bit too close to bad taste for the old boys to swallow.
I bet it was because one of them fancied breaking in the rather squirrel-cheeked filly that looked like she should be presenting children's TV rather than being a steely eyed dealer of BATCO and realised from those pictures that chances are she was caught up in a bufty group-sex "experimenting" thing where there was a bit of "non-binary" conjugation going on and his hopes were dashed.

It was still quegetry though.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
And also because membership of the Offrs or Sgts mess is obligatory even if you never step foot inside the place. Not so Jnrs who "use" messing facilities and the NAAFI. The half-way house is the Cpl's Club which is usually just a separate area of the cookhouse and NAAFI to avoid feeding time at the zoo.

Which brings me to the other difference. Mess balls, cocktail parties and dinners. I lost count of the amount of times I'd end up having to subsidise the social habits of the middle-aged pads and their wives by having the costs of a ball or a dinner I didn't want to attend added to my mess bill whether I was there or not. Oh, and mess related secondary duties as "Silvers Member" having to waste your time counting out and then back in the knives, forks, spoons and candelabras after each event. The highlight of those shit dits being made a member of the "Wines Committee" by a joker of a PMC who knew I never touched the stuff. In reality all he wanted was a designated driver who could stay sober enough to stay on the road while he and his mates went on wine drinking jollies in the name of "buying" the shite in France. It never occurred to him that he didn't need to dick me for this, he could have just asked nicely and I might have done him a favour anyway in return for letting me off paying a fortune for the shit parties I never attended.

Did you have to iron the daily papers too?

Did you have to iron the daily papers too?
No, as long as the PMC was able to spank me and call me a naughty subaltern whenever the urge took him.

...On the issue of newspapers, the only mess where I ever experienced the Guardian being taken was Blandford. Make of that what you will.

...On the issue of newspapers, the only mess where I ever experienced the Guardian being taken was Blandford. Make of that what you will.
They ran out of Andrex?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

And paying, as a detached officer not even on their strength, into various Regimental funds which were leveed via Mess Bills.

Cheeses H Keerist, your mob was clearly mired in the Edwardian era!!

Give us a clue: county infantry, arty, cav/peeples regt of Track or one of the Corps?

O - and decade(s)

Officers don't get threatened with disciplinary action over PRI "voluntary" contributions

View attachment 552709
From FYB.
Do they still extort 'barrack damages' from the living in troops? I always thought that was the biggest scam going. It always seemed to be the same amount each month paid in cash. No details of what had actually been damaged. Some places didn't seem to levy it at all. I always suspected it paid for the QM's department's Christmas party.

Latest Threads