Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officers vs Common Soldiers... what exactly IS the difference...

Not a noob myself, but a common question to ask myself and what makes them so distinguishable. Looking to fill in the blanks, my cousin asked me exactly WHY their is such a pay gap also in the officer payscales...

Common soldier: More hands on, less responsibility means thinking and wondering "what if" and means less head ache in life and hence less pay grade, overall decent soldiering and trade skills expected

SNCO: Mid level management, more responsibility but only within their immediate scope, don't have to think too much but still be ready to take, overall excellent standards demanding at this stage after a few years in the mob and little concessions given to slacking

Officer (Entry Level - 2nd Lt - Lt): Starts off with a large scope of responsibility and high standards demanded from the beginning, as a platoon commander as a typical entry like a mother to 30 kids

Officer (Senior - Captain)...

Barclays have a comparator document that details the levels of responsibilities and expectations of each rank then establishes where that level of responsibility falls within the Barclays employee structure. There is much overlap between SNCOs and Officers, especially around the WO and Capt/Major.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Not all Soldiers are common, try telling a Guardsman, a Para Reg Tom, or and EOD op that they are just Common soldiers and your get a good smack in the chops for your trouble and probably ruptured testicles to boot.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have you factored in PQOs into your scheme of things?

Stibbon

Clanker
Not all Soldiers are common, try telling a Guardsman, a Para Reg Tom, or and EOD op that they are just Common soldiers and your get a good smack in the chops for your trouble and probably ruptured testicles to boot.

Why/how?

Is that because Guardsmen, Paras and EOD ops are so much "harder" and more violent than Cbt Engineers, Riflemen and Gunners?

Is that why? :rolleyes:

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Why/how?

Is that because Guardsmen, Paras and EOD ops are so much "harder" and more violent than Cbt Engineers, Riflemen and Gunners?

Is that why? :rolleyes:

Yes, and better looking and larger of penis. It's some of the requirements at the recruiting office. If your ugly as fuck, have a cock less than 10 inches and don't look as though you've just stepped out of the pages of GQ or Esquire. Then it's off to one of the lesser Regiments or a different area of a Corps in thr the case of EOD.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Officers are gentlemen who buy or inherit their status and commissions, whereas the line soldier joins up as an alternative to being sent down.

I answered in the same vein as the OP's question before anyone starts getting excited.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
They’re not really officers ;-)

I don't suppose you said that to any of the MOs involved after your attempt at the world high jump record? :)

Officers are gentlemen who buy or inherit their status and commissions, whereas the line soldier joins up as an alternative to being sent down.

I answered in the same vein as the OP's question before anyone starts getting excited.
The 1950s called, they want their stereotypes back!

(I know you answered in the same vein as the OP but I couldn´t resist)

I don't suppose you said that to any of the MOs involved after your attempt at the world high jump record? :)

Strangely it was usually an MO that would say it to me.

One of my plastic surgeons (absolutely brilliant bloke who I owe a lot) was in Bastion after it was attacked. Everyone had to walk around armed, he said he would have been better off carrying his scalpels and throwing them if the needs be, using a firearm was probably more of a danger to friendly forces.

You’ve obviously not worked with some of the cünts I’ve had to.

Yes, and better looking and larger of penis. It's some of the requirements at the recruiting office. If your ugly as ****, have a cock less than 10 inches and don't look as though you've just stepped out of the pages of GQ or Esquire. Then it's off to one of the lesser Regiments or a different area of a Corps in thr the case of EOD.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.
Were you Plt Sgt Brigade Squad Sept 1981 Guards Depot by any chance? After eight weeks of blue red blue drill and beasting, the Plt Sgt waved us off to Westbury for RCB with the advice "don´t go talking to any of those fish ´n chip mob herberts down there. Remember, you´re guardsmen, maintain your standards!" So it came as no surprise that over half the Plt failed RCB. Quite difficult to show your leadership qualities if you won´t talk to most of your fellow candidates!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Pah, you all squeal and bleed the same in a dental chair

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Were you Plt Sgt Brigade Squad Sept 1981 Guards Depot by any chance? After eight weeks of blue red blue drill and beasting, the Plt Sgt waved us off to Westbury for RCB with the advice "don´t go talking to any of those fish ´n chip mob herberts down there. Remember, you´re guardsmen, maintain your standards!" So it came as no surprise that over half the Plt failed RCB. Quite difficult to show your leadership qualities if you won´t talk to most of your fellow candidates!

Nope, I wasn't even a twinkle in 1981,
But to paraphrase a quote on one of our Company Comanders walls,
Here at the Guards we know we're better than you, We're just too polite to say.
( or some of us are to polite the rest of us will call you all a bunch of chippy Fuckers and strech out your Missus fun wholes).
Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE

Last edited:

Latest Threads