Officers v Seniors

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Redshaggydog, Nov 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Serious question, does the traditional role of Officers still fit in the modern Army?

For example, all promotion boards for Junior and Senior ranks are sat by Officers. Yes I know that some of the Junior boards have a SNCO present, but in this day and age why is it that Officers only have the necessary skills to enable them to recognise the traits required to be a certain rank? Surely it is those who have come up through that rank who understand best what is required of those who seek to be promoted into it.

Tradionally when Officers were better educated than the masses I can understand the need, but today, a lot of ORs are themselves better educated than the Officers who serve.

2. Think you'll find most promotion boards, especially in my Corps, are made of mostly LE's with a couple of SO1's
  3. So are you also suggesting that officers stop reporting on soldiers?

I know CRs now have a box to say a SNCO / WO has been consulted on the report, but it is still the officers job to write objectively on his / her soldiers. Leadership!
  4. Crazy_Legs

No I am not, also certainly in my last unit the SNCO/WO drafted the CR and then had the adult (!) write it, that way it ensured ground truth.

What I am trying to ask is, the boards themselves, certainly in my Corps are run by Officers. Yes we have a smattering of LEs and WOs but even then at the WO2 and WO1 rank there is often not any input.

Who knows best the profile to fit these positions, the Officers (DE) or the Seniors themselves?
  5. Sounds like another 'work-around' for JPA!!!!! Have the Line-Managers more say in the overall report on the individuals progress during the given period, that way the 'Board' sees a more detailed breakdown of the person's evaluation based on the view of the individual's immediate superiors rather than strike(sorry, part) 1, 2 and 3 from specific post holders.
  6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Radical View - Discuss.
    I'd vote for a separate mini-form where a Senior [highest possible in CoC] could have an input to Rupert's Annual CR [call it a tie-breaker, sealed envelope, only seen by promotion boards] to show how "those below" view their Leader Of Men :wink:

It might do something to prevent the progress of those who see their careers being built by brown-nosing their reporting chain to the detriment of those "under command".

Light blue touch-paper, disappear behind bike-shed 8O
  7. A fair point, that assumes Senior in question is grown up enough to not let a chip on their shoulder get in the way of an objective report...I know some of the Seniors I have encountered would just use it as a chance to stab someone in the back for personal gripes.

Light touch paper from the other side, also disappear behind bike shed... :plotting:
  8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I am assuming that Army Seniors would have substantial integrity :wink: And it would be an unwise Rupert who would let "personal gripes" flourish and grow, innit?
  9. The RAF use this form of reporting usually with a 2 up difference in the first RO. So a Sgt reports on a SAC and FSgt on a Sgt. Also there Manning desks are run by Sncos so they can ring and chat at any time.

I know from my own experience that the SNCO writes a pen picture on what the OR/JNCO has done, the WO2 then adds about the reportees potential and finally the TC changes it to management speak and checks the spelling.
  10. The most important things in CR writing is that the author is in an appropriate position to observe the subject's performance and has sufficient integrity to make impartial judgements.

In the current system, Officers (with the exception of LE) live separate lives their entire careers and don't develop personal bonds of the same nature as barracks-mates, who may wind up reporting on each other in their future careers.

Regardless of who is writing the report, the sole issue is, is the reporter capable of being honest and impartial and also of being seen to be same.

I think all things being equal, an officer has more chance of being seen to be impartial by most observers, but a WO/SNCO with a good reputation could do it just as effectively.