Officers' Swords - Makers/Suppliers 2022

We just signed them out from stores at High Wycombe if we needed them for weddings etc. Can’t think of anyone who actually went and bought one.
The pool swords used for wedding were in a very poor state when I last saw them. The belts were held together with safety pins. If you get a representative role (eg attache or ADC) you get issued a sword and accoutrements. A colleague (albeit about 10 years ago) left the RAF having served as an attache and Supply only wanted his helmet, respirator and body armour back. He kept his sword and loads of other bits and pieces.

Pooley was the company that took over Wilkinson Sword tooling. The blades and hilts are made in India, proofed and assembled in the UK (or at least were).

A godson is going to RMAS on the next intake - any steers on a Cavalry sword? I foolishly said I'd get him one for him on graduation.

Last edited:

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
You've covered the better cutlers, but at the lower price range Windlass has proved popular amongst some of the younger batches of Officers, they are an Indian Company and produce swords for the Indian Armed Forces, they are functional and serviceable but not as highly finished as the others mentioned.

I’m not at home at the mo’.
I only ask as we have one in the family which has the number ground off. Rumour has it a considerable number of swords were stolen from dead officer's effects when they were being repatriated 1914/1915. The number gave a unique trace to the true identity of the owner so were removed prior to the swords being sold on to the thousands of officers joining the new armies who may not have had the background or means to acquire their own.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
A godson is going to RMAS on the next intake - any steers on a Cavalry sword? I foolishly said I'd get him one for him on graduation.

Firstly, unless he's confirmed for his regiment then you'd do well to hold offon purchase until the final term.

When he gets there, just go with Pooley like everyone else. Vintage swords are great but for cavalry regiments you'll struggle to find one of the right pattern that doesn't have a different capbadge on it.

Last edited:

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have an 1897 Pattern Infantry Officer’s sword dated 1914 with a KGV Basket. It was made to go to war so it’s sharp and not chromed.

I bought a QE2 basket but I’ve never bothered to fit it.

A friend has his father’s Artillery sword. Nobody has ever challenged him for wearing it.

Of course that would probably be different if we were junior officers in an army gantry or cavalry regiment.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I have an 1897 Pattern Infantry Officer’s sword dated 1914 with a KGV Basket. It was made to go to war so it’s sharp and not chromed.

I bought a QE2 basket but I’ve never bothered to fit it.

A friend has his father’s Artillery sword. Nobody has ever challenged him for wearing it.

Of course that would probably be different if we were junior officers in an army gantry or cavalry regiment.
I was Infantry and have a 1897 pattern KGV Sword. Never a drama.

You've covered the better cutlers, but at the lower price range Windlass has proved popular amongst some of the younger batches of Officers, they are an Indian Company and produce swords for the Indian Armed Forces, they are functional and serviceable but not as highly finished as the others mentioned.
From what little I've seen, their Naval swords are serviceable but heavy in the blade, which is tedious for parades.

Firstly, jnless he's confirmed for his regiment then you'd do well to hold offon purchase until the final term.

When he gets there, just go with Pooley like everyone else. Vintage swords are great but for cavalry regiments you'll struggle to find one of the right pattern that doesn't have a different capbadge on it.
Thanks for the advice.

The pool swords used for wedding were in a very poor state when I last saw them. The belts were held together with safety pins. If you get a representative role (eg attache or ADC) you get issued a sword and accoutrements. A colleague (albeit about 10 years ago) left the RAF having served as an attache and Supply only wanted his helmet, respirator and body armour back. He kept his sword and loads of other bits and pieces.

Pooley was the company that took over Wilkinson Sword tooling. The blades and hilts are made in India, proofed and assembled in the UK (or at least were).

Seemed to remember you had to take out an insurance if you signed out swords for weddings from the pool?