Officers Rank Stars

Discussion in 'Officers' started by 2ic_Somme_Coy, Apr 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a question thats been bugging me since I was commissioned:

Why are Officers rank badges the same design as the star for the Military division of the Order of the Bath?

Guards Regiments badges are based on the star of the Order of the Garter I believe and also would like to know why this is?

Can anyone shed any light on this (or it will keep me awake for weeks thinking about it).

2. thanks G3Ops,

This is one of those really burning questions that has just got to be answered I'm afraid. I was watching a tv documentary recently that mentioned it but didnt say why. :evil:

I might just have to take your advice and find someone to take my mind of it :twisted:

And yes, the avatar is really me, taken a few weeks ago at a St Davids Day Regimental Dinner.

3. ISTR there has been a previous ARRSE thread on this, although I dont think we reached an answer as to "Why".

4. didn't get it sorry

5. persec fella 8O.

6. i.e. Bin the avatar, name and change the username.

7. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

8. Delving into my "Boy's Big Book of Ceremonial Bullshit", I found the following:-

"The officer's rank star or 'pip' is that of the Order of the Bath, except in the Household regiments. The Life Guards, Blues and Royals, Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards and Welsh Guards use the star of the Order of the Garter, the Scots Guards that of the Order of the Thistle, and the Irish Guards that of the Order of St Patrick."

The answer to the question "Why"? is probably that otherwise JR Gaunt would have to close down "D" line and lay off Doris and Monica, and what with Doris having been here since we were making buttons for the Imperial Yeomanry, and Monica with another sprog on the way and hubby still in jail for that little misunderstanding with the goat and the watermelon, it wouldn't be right, would it?

Hope this helps!

9. THanks for all the replies to this post, they have all been extremely helpful, lets hope this question comes up in the pub quiz next time round.

Cheers