Officers parading/marching in the Ranks,

Discussion in 'Officers' started by BuggerAll, Jun 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As a transferee to the AMS I was surprised to find that it is common practise for Officers (and SNCOs) to fall in in the Ranks and be marched about by NCOs.

I have pointed out that this is not really the done thing - for any number of reasons, but have been told to either come up with a regulation that says they should not, or wind my neck in.

The only reference that I can find is in the Regs about officers wearing uniform when not on duty. It mentions that Remeberance Parades are suitable occations to wear uniform, but an officer in uniform must not march in the ranks on such occations.

Can anybody come up with a quotable authority for why Officers should not 'fall in' in the ranks?

2. It is probably one of those unwritten rules that stems from the fact that once most Officers leave RMAS they automatically become shit at drill and would make the rest of the said ranks look a bit shabby :D :D :D

3. Judgig from the question - does this mean that the RSM no longer has his little drill parades on Saturday mornings for the subalterns?

4. Surely its as simple as this:

Drill has its roots in changing formations on the battlefield and as such is the practice of implementing discipline and a team's reaction to rehearsed orders. Its just common sense that Officers should not be placed in a position where they are expected to adhere to the orders of a NCO. I'd be astounded to see SNCOs marched about by JNCOs, let alone Officers.

Drill 'lessons' and 'practice' are clearly another matter.

I suspect the SNCOs in the AMS have got one over their officers as a lot of them are PQOs. Its up to the transferee officers to sort it out mate.

5. Only time I recall officers being marched around by an OR (outside of Sandhurst) was on Adjutants parade when the RSM would beast the subbies.

6. Or because there are so many PQOs there they need a little bit more drill and don't have the experience in drill to move themselves around like a smart body of men?

I very much doubt that the SNCOs of AMS have "got one over" the officers, whatever the reason.

7. An NCO cannot issue a lawful order to an officer.

An exception to this is:

The RSM when requested to drill the officers by the Adjt. He does so on behalf of the Col but must still address officers as Sir.

An RMP JNCO may issue an order to an officer in the execution of his/her duties.

8. And who on earth expects officers to move themselves around like a smart body of men?

PQO/Regular Officer
    Sh1t Drill/Slightly Less Sh1t Drill

There's no excuse for NCOs drilling officers except for practice for a specific parade or ceremonial event.

Drilling them 'because they need more drill' sounds like an excuse for a bit of power play to me. I agree with you though, it probably completely washes over the officers as one of those quirky 'Army' things that SNCOs get excited about.

9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Its not a power play thing by the WO/SNCO's - they, after all, are only doing what they have been told to do, and what is common practise through out the AMS. The WO/SNCO's are themselve falling in, which is not right either.

Its ignorance - when I raised the issue, the 'management' think I'm making it up becaue I'm a snob and don't like doing drill and mixing with the troops. I've been told to show in regs that it should not happen or shut up.

An interesting point raised above - a WO/SNCO cannot give an officer an order - is it therefore illegal to order an officer to fall in under the direction of a WO/SNCO?

10. My apologies. I got the impression that this was something those taking the parades were imposing. Interesting that your 'management' is insisting on it though, especially after you have raised your concerns. It sounds messed up to me and makes me wonder what the AMS is trying to portray.

On the issue of:

I have no idea, but would suggest that you'd be seriously undermining the said officer. Even officers 'under instruction' (YOs in their very first posting, brand new field of employment) outrank their 'teachers'. An OC telling his subbies to listen to their SNCOs is sound advice, ordering his subbies to fall in under the direction of a WO/SNCO is odd.

The only scenarios I see it working are in arenas where the WO/SNCO is in charge of realtime safety for example taking a range. Maybe its because the AMS has a requirement to have a medical hierarchy which spans and overlays the military rank structure that operates (no pun) it?

11. There's no reason why junior officers shouldn't be drilled by SNCOs on the orders of a senior officer, but they would normally fall in separately, if there were enough of them. If it's a small unit and there aren't enough bods to form separate squads then perhaps it is understandable.

However, if you were the only or one of a few junior officers, then providing your drill is up to scratch they should be training you to take charge of a body of men and use power of command etc. Maybe the real reason is that you need some remedial drill?

12. A quick call to the All Arms Drill Wing ref this point should clear it up, failing that, GSM London District (though why the hell one of the resident gobshiite RSM types hasn't come up with a QRs quote by now is beyond me).

13. You may complain but what was the reason why you were all marching together? Im sure that it was done for a reason so as not to show your unit up infront of regular soldiers for instance? think you need to look at the bigger picture and not your part time ego!

14. It's common practice amongst the TA AMS, certainly in my unit, as a) we're a little bit top-heavy, and b) our officers don't like shouting and are a bit thin on the military side of things, so being told what to do is welcome so they don't have to make decisions.

15. This is true, like you say most TA medical units are top heavy.