Officers numbers are now 8 digits not 6

Just had a new subbie turn up and 'it' has retained its' soldier number they were given at the start of Sandhurst. Apparantly 6 digit numbers are a thing of the past.

Cutbacks/JPA-ism who knows. What i do know is that we shouldn't be so readily casting off all those things that differentiate soldiers from officers.

We should all write to Des Brown - oh no point he is too busy running the Scottish office as well as being the SoS for Defence.

Rant off.

The_Phantom said:
Just had a new subbie turn up and 'it' has retained its' soldier number they were given at the start of Sandhurst. Apparantly 6 digit numbers are a thing of the past.

Cutbacks/JPA-ism who knows. What i do know is that we shouldn't be so readily casting off all those things that differentiate soldiers from officers.

We should all write to Des Brown - oh no point he is too busy running the Scottish office as well as being the SoS for Defence.

Rant off.
Dear god no... thats a crime how is one expected to remember the extra 2 digets 8O

Just put a couple of zeros in front it's what the armys been doing for generations!

(if you take this too much to heart then take the rest of the day off)

I would suggest he has retained his RMAS number because JPA can't allocate new numbers - or nobody knows how to do it on JPA more like.

At least he will still get paid - allbeit as an officer cadet - even though he has passed out!

Apparently, the old way was too difficult for JPA so all future recruits get the same format number, whatever their Service!

Litotes

TangoZeroAlpha said:
I would suggest he has retained his RMAS number because JPA can't allocate new numbers - or nobody knows how to do it on JPA more like.
Correct every new service men will be allocated a number in the 3000 0000 region, your army number no longer exists.

I've seen whinges on this site, but 'a none officer army number' FFS

Dear God, they'll be making us wear three quarter length 'trousers' and polypropylene football shirts next.

Where will it end etc etc

another two numbers and you will have to take your boots off to count them. Tee Hee :boogie:

The_Phantom said:
That will confuse the German bouncers...

This is the crux! One has heard on the grapevine that certain 'professionally horizontal' German establishments are loathe to allow 8 digiters in. The one true benefit for a 6 digiter!

RMA1 said:
another two numbers and you will have to take your boots off to count them. Tee Hee :boogie:
8+2 = 10, how many fingers do most people have? Anyway enough of being a smartarse.

Question: Hypothetically speaking If I were to be in an uotc and leave next month, as in discharge myself, When I attend RMAS in January, will i still have my 251..... number or will I have a new number ? Anybody.

Just in case anyone was having muck-sweats about being treated with full deference at the gate, keep in mind that the new Army MoD 90 has your rank printed on it.

The 8 digits for soldiers represented their ENLISTMENT number. the six digits for Officers represented their COMMISSION number.

Keeping in mind that the majority of personnel in the Army have an 8 figure number it makes sense to use this as the lowest common denominator and base the system around this. It probably would have been too expensive to have a system that recognised both numbers.

Two points, hopefully the German establishments have all been issued a rank chart for when the updated MOD90 shows the rank and my final point is that it has got to be better than being bar coded which I am sure was probably thought about!

And I wonder whether I will now go back from my Commission number to my enlistment number??