officers morale

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by quiller, Jun 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the new continuous attitude survey has stated that officers morale has dropped by 10%, which has raised a few eyebrows up above. so .........has it really or is the new mk1 etc process sucking the life out of TA officers, does mobilisation have an effect.
    what other reasons would there be to have this effect overall?

2. Bah, BS. Beat me to it. I was doing my own "Top 10 instances of the Black Dog" list.

The hassles of doing MK1 do feature highly. So far as mobilisation as a cause of poor morale in officers is concerned: what is bothering people is that individual mobilisation of (mainly) the junior ranks leaves TA officers gnashing their teeth from the sidelines.

Here are a few more:

1. No real career plan for TA officers. With the increasing professionalisation of the TA, its officers should be given a clearer idea of how their career is supposed to proceed.
    2. TA MK1 grumbles.
    3. More TA MK1 grumbles.
    4. TA SNCO/Officer: the honest truth. Both subject to ever-increasing professional standards without sufficient resources to meet their duty of care.

3. Is 10% of nothing still nothing?

4. See all above..but: MK1, MK2, precious little point to existence beyond training the blokes, mobilisation liability being all about bone watchkeeper jobs not actually leading your blokes (who will probably be sucked away as IRs), ever increasing expectations, endless paperwork, no sense that we are working for an organisation that gives a stuff about our interests or welfare, having to absorb the grief of the manning & recruiting crisis, not being able to produce the training that your blokes deserve because of a lack of resources and a flood of bone tasks dropped on the unit from on high...and precious little fun.

What's worrying is that "those above" find a drop in TA officer morale surprising.

There are big questions (explored in the threads above, I am sure) about what the point is even being a TA officer any more (especially one above the rank of Lt) - and precious few official answers apart from repeated attempts at often spurious 'professionalisation' that appear to have been dreamt up by Regulars who merrily ignore the realities of TA service and the full implications of what they propose.

5. Spot on mate. I think that the CoC are desperate to "close the gap" between TA and Regs hence the emphasis on "professionalism", but they do as you say miss the essential point that very often TA guys and gals have full time real jobs. I also note your very real morale issues and can only sympathise if your CoC are not providing you with stimulating and worthwhile training - and most importantly FUN (which by the way is becoming in increasingly short supply on the Reg side too)

Crucially you should know that whatever we Regs may say, we know that we cannot, any longer, do without our TA and that we do value your committment.

6. thanks all for that so far, i've seen some of the survey results and i'm also in a position to make comments and send tham up. so i'll be doing that tomorrow morning.

q

7. I think mine went when I didn't get a command in the field for over a year, as all the troops were in Iraq, but all four company subalterns left behind.

More to the point, it went when I got slated for being out of practice.....

8. Agree with Dr_Evil and Sapukay. Whilst the troops are gaining real experience as IR's on Op Tours, there are very few opportunities for us to go and do one ourselves, we tend to be confined to out deeks filling in the paperwork that keeps the army going and spending our time at home trying to study for all the distance learning packages such as MK1 and 2. The MK1 package is due to be revised and made available in July ( as per an e-mail I had from DA) but I have yet to see anything official on the website about it. Suspect a lot of us would be happier if we felt that all those hours spent studying and doing the relevant admin that goes with the job was leading to a real opportunity to use the skills. Not holding my breath though.

9. I thought it was just me that was feeling pretty down about being in the TA, I'm pleased (?) to learn that I'm not unique. I have found the large increase in paperwork expected on a day to day basis at sub unit level, to be totally unmanageable for anyone with any kind of busy professional life.

When I joined, the TA used to look for intelligent people who could, with adequate training, become officers. They were looking for people who were successful in their civilian lives and who could transfer those skills over to the TA and therefore need less training than their regular counterpart because they recruited individuals with little or no management experience. You just have to look at what is expected of someone if they want to get commissioned these days. I just don't see how I personally could have given the time under the new / present system.

The petty bureaucracy that is required by higher levels of command make it almost impossible for anyone with a busy and successful career to take on sub unit command. A prime example, but not the only, would be MPARs. Reporting on people who you may have seen for 3 w/es and a couple of trg nights in 6 months can't be a sensible use of time in anyones eyes. I know its important for their progression, but we at times, blindly have regular army procedures imposed upon us. All this does is grind the middle chain of command down and lower their moral by doing such pointless and time consuming things.

As for things like camps, well whole sections of the TA have camps once every 3 years. How do young officers get experience of commanding soldiers if there aren't any camps. Courses educate people, but are no substitute for proper training and experience. Soon officers will know all their is to know about the theoretical side of soldiering but have so very little practical experience that it becomes meaningless.

Now before everyone jumps up and down on me, we are trying to improve as much as we can by using the little time we can, but the TA is changing, becoming more like the Regular Army, but unfortunately, in my opinion, we seemed to have picked up most of the worst aspects.

10. Yes *sigh* but *perking up* we still get to wear nice outfits, though.

It's the dressing-up that counts: that's what most of the threads in the "Officers" forum seem to be about, anyway.

11. Don't worry chaps we are just the Admin whallas as stated in a few comments above they want our boys to fill in the gaps but don't need the command element we are much more effective being used to keep churning out trained soldiers for the Army to mobilise also we can act as liaison officers with the mobilised soldiers family and employer. Mmmm just why I joined up. :rage:

12. I think that it is wrong to perceive the changes we are going through as stemming from bad habits acquired from the regular Army.

I reckon that what is happening is an unintended consequence of the professionalisation of the TA.

TA officers are subjecting themselves and the Army to the same professional standards they see in operation in their civilian life. They are also gaining operational experience, as are their blokes, which enables them to face down a much greater proportion of the bullsheeyat arguments sometimes thrown at them. Net effect: bolshier TA officers, who are applying outside-world managerial ethics to their TA activities more than ever before. They want:

(a) adequate resources (time and money) to train their blokes and themselves to the operational standards required;
    (b) training, educational and professional opportunities which give them a TA career worth the name;
    (c) paperwork admin support (or is this just me?);
    (d) training and deployment opportunities with those they are supposed to be commanding.

After a few years of being told "Improve your game. It's about being professional", TA officers are saying (my words) "Done. Now, right back at ya."

I have to say, though: it's still fun. Harder, and seemingly less and less about soldiering, but rewarding.

13. Well, exactly... but how do you do camp and your courses in a 'Holiday' year without being financially penalised (i.e. get unpaid leave from work) or romantically penalised (no summer hols with G/F = grumpier than usual female)?

It makes you wonder if anyone from LAND or the MOD ever reads this stuff...

(taps on screen of laptop)

HELLO? ANYONE IN THERE? HELLO?

14. You fool - there are no people inside your laptop. There are loads of little mice on treadmills. Not sure they can help with the MoD/LAND, though you never know.