Officers Grant

When I was in back in the 80s, it used to be £300.

That was an initial allownace for purchase of uniform, and the yearly some was for maintenance and re-ranking.

Now I'm moving to Crab TA, and I suspect they will supply No1 uniform, and give me a yearly allowance as above.

Just out of interest, my Service Dress from Goldings cost me all of my allowance back then, not including hat!

In 1983 I received the princely sum of £45 for uniform grant, with the promise of a crisp tenner each year thereafter. Needless to say the automatic payment seldom was.

If you are commissioning into the Signals don't for heaven's sake skimp on your service dress - or if you do, don't get photographed at RMAS!

galgenberg said:
dui-lai said:
Hi folks,

how much grant does a TA Officer get for Service Dress & Mess Dress these days????

Cheers
£10000 and £12 a year after that.
OK so I lied :) But not about the £12 a year.I seem to recall receiving £71 back in 1980 and a further £54? in 1992 on promotion to field rank (which purchased 1/3 of a hat at the time).I suspect a similar pittance is paid today.

Cuddles said:
In 1983 I received the princely sum of £45 for uniform grant, with the promise of a crisp tenner each year thereafter. Needless to say the automatic payment seldom was.
In 1983 I hadn't even started primary school! ;)

Work hard and you may yet finish!

It has also been raised with some very grown-ups on a recent TA LEOC course, viz why are we expected to be dressed the same as regular officers when we get approx 1/3 of their budget?

msr

msr said:
It has also been raised with some very grown-ups on a recent TA LEOC course, viz why are we expected to be dressed the same as regular officers when we get approx 1/3 of their budget?

msr
What was the reply?

Frankly there are still some who think TA commissions are achieved by purchase...

Or birthright...

WhiteHorse said:
msr said:

msr
What was the reply?
'We'll look into it...'

msr

Seemed to have opened a can of worms here! Good to see its not just me who thinks its a tadge unfair why we do not get a full grant equal to a regular officer!