Officers clicking heels

Stroll on. Thank christ i never reached beyond the heady heights of corporalhood in a bog standard inf regt. All that fart arsing around with wiffly old traditions & wearing your boxers on your head on a Tues afternoon cos the king had been using his to jerk off into a thousand years ago would drive me up the wall. Tedious old load of cobblers.
Bloody heathen! :)

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Tedious old load of cobblers.
As with anything, it's only tedious if you don't make it into a sport. The game is to see how many regimental traditions you have to bring out to make a Gunner major turn purple with fury.

As with anything, it's only tedious if you don't make it into a sport. The game is to see how many regimental traditions you have to bring out to make a Gunner major turn purple with fury.
Did a Gunner Major once make you do something inappropriate? Wear a uniform, have both sleeves the same length, order you to cut your hair - that sort of thing...

Do the box heads still click the heels? Or is it frowned spin since the corporal was in charge??
On an exercise in Denmark, the first time the German Army was allowed back in Denmark, early 70s, my Tp of Ferrets was attached to a Pz Grenadier Bn. Reporting, I marched up the command Marder and said “Good evening Colonel” as I clicked my heels. He looked up, smiled and said in a perfect Oxford English accent “Actually old boy, we gave up doing that a few years ago” I had to reply that it was still the custom in RHG/D!

On an exercise in Denmark, the first time the German Army was allowed back in Denmark, early 70s, my Tp of Ferrets was attached to a Pz Grenadier Bn. Reporting, I marched up the command Marder and said “Good evening Colonel” as I clicked my heels. He looked up, smiled and said in a perfect Oxford English accent “Actually old boy, we gave up doing that a few years ago” I had to reply that it was still the custom in RHG/D!
Fell for that after a big parade in Soest where I was oc of The UK element. My aside to a Captain in the Kraut army when he was leading us to the parade ground - 'don't think much of your uniform' his wonderful reply was 'well you saw to that in 1945!

We sit down for the Royal Toast because some King stood up and cracked their heads on the deckhead whilst being toasted.

Gen.
As do infantry regiments that had previous service as marines.

No

Not sure but you should salute a funeral cortege if it passes you whilst you are in uniform.
Only "military, naval or air force funerals" Queen's Regulations. 8.059. a.
Sorry to be a pedant, I had looked it up. I couldn't see anything about saluting civvy funerals, which seems to be a bit of an urban myth. You should salute the Cenotaph as well, which I didn't know.

I had the news on and heard the heels click; I thought he must be from some commonwealth army, a Nigerian or something, that still did that stuff. :mad:

Stroll on. Thank christ i never reached beyond the heady heights of corporalhood in a bog standard inf regt. All that fart arsing around with wiffly old traditions & wearing your boxers on your head on a Tues afternoon cos the king had been using his to jerk off into a thousand years ago would drive me up the wall. Tedious old load of cobblers.
Me and a mate were once told that our attitude would not get us into the Mess ie we didn't f**k blokes about for the fun of it,unlike many seniors ( and even some JNCO's) in my old lot. Devastated,we were (not).
I made Sergeant in the TA,most of us didn't give a rats about mess life.

Dubious?

Fück off you crab twat, it was my experience because I was there.
Gentlemen (and ladies) I give you the Ambassador (designate) to Washington.