Officers clicking heels

I worked with them in 4 Armd Bde when we went to Kosovo in 1999 and was attached to them for Ex WESSEX WARRIOR on SPTA in 2004 or 2005 - a good bunch.

During the latter, I had occasion to visit the BG HQ for something just prior to ENDEX. I walked in to find the place empty apart from a watchkeeper and a handful of signallers. On enquiring where everyone was, I was taken to the back of the complex and invited to peer through a gap in the tent wall. On doing so, I saw the CO hosting a Pimms/Champagne party for his officers prior to the final assault on Imber Village!! Class :)

A few weeks after ENDEX I got summoned to our regimental puzzle palace because my CO wished to speak to me. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't because I had committed some ghastly military blunder, rather that the CO KRH had written to my CO expressing his personal thanks for the efforts of my section and I in providing RMP support on the exercise. That was a very nice touch and I still have the letter somewhere.

Edited for grammar.
I had a similar experience in Berlin when the RHG/D came as relief squadron. The squadron leader was C_B, who I believe may have also been @Jorrocks platoon commander at RMAS.

Took me aside at the beginning of their time and quietly informed me that, in return for looking after them in Berlin that month, I wouldn’t have a mess bill, as they were a ‘bit of a social regiment’.

Also had a cracking thank-you letter to my OC...

I had a similar experience in Berlin when the RHG/D came as relief squadron. The squadron leader was C_B, who I believe may have also been @Jorrocks platoon commander at RMAS.

Took me aside at the beginning of their time and quietly informed me that, in return for looking after them in Berlin that month, I wouldn’t have a mess bill, as they were a ‘bit of a social regiment’.

Also had a cracking thank-you letter to my OC...
Charlie was indeed my Pl Comd at RMAS and subsequently my sqn ldr in Detmold but I´d gone to Knightsbridge before the Berlin jaunt. Sadly he died just over a year ago - had a heart attack in the saddle out hunting with the Percy. He was a legend both in the army and in later civilian life. His memorial service was massive with a marquee outside the church for a reception afterwards - it was rather like a point to point without horses.

Charlie was indeed my Pl Comd at RMAS and subsequently my sqn ldr in Detmold but I´d gone to Knightsbridge before the Berlin jaunt. Sadly he died just over a year ago - had a heart attack in the saddle out hunting with the Percy. He was a legend both in the army and in later civilian life. His memorial service was massive with a marquee outside the church for a reception afterwards - it was rather like a point to point without horses.
That’s terrible news. But what a way to go...

Late to the party, but.

Heh. My interpretation of that clip at the time was that the HCR Major clicked heels as he'd like to spur things on, rather than as acceptance of Trump as CO - wouldn't read it that way.
Superficially regarded by those watching as a sign of formal respect for station, as Jorrocks noted.

Either that or he was nervous and on best behaviour, with HRH and the media breathing down his neck and embraced the suck, and fell into accord.

(If it was me, it'd be a disguised insult in that I'd be spurring his wife/daughter on later, if they needed it)

In answer to the question to WM1965's question:

As I understand it: It's both feet at once, from shoulder-width [edit: brought together at "Habacht Stellung (make ready)" then heels out and in to make the cilck on "Achtung (attention)" - it isn't considered a salute - it's an "at attention" with audible signal. Salute comes from at attention (ie, after the click to signify).
In a drill, it should be a single click, any click out of sync is beasted.
I'm unsure of its origins, but have had a conversation about it a few times in North and South German (my German is pretty rusty, but I think I got the gist) with some old guard and new, who have their own takes.
I listened more to the old guard.
It would make more sense, from a martial perspective, to click left into right, but I've never found out why it is both at once - put it down to tradition.

Back when protocol and sync. mattered more, fire by rank, advance, bayonet, charge, rinse and repeat etc... was more important than it is today.

Rest is junk unless you're interested in more than 240 char. tweets.

Trump's one of those handshakes where he exagerrates the Yank's "clasp and yank" shake. Pulls and pushes as aggro display of strength and dominant control. "Puppetting" the reciever or the purposeful, social tactic.
Counter is to not place left on wrist (stable dominance, ain't a good idea with head of state), but place left on shoulder (solidarity, respectful, supportive) for that handshake - physically defeats in acceptable manner.
It's not his natural handshake, like most folk - it's calculated and, now, predictable, losing its initial value in gaining in the upper hand through an acceptable, athough aggressive posture, start to the encounter.

Prussian Click is going to place the recipient in a weaker stance thats ripe for the puppetering handshake (CoB very close in front, unless at 45-90 degrees, in which more stable), so I'd warrant the major was more on politico protocol than on guard - but what need is there to be on guard, when you're on allied soil, attending HRH, as a showpiece. NMP.

Additional:
USAn's drill emphasises precision and "snap" - might be he was versed in this and so Prussian Heels would be recognised by Pres. as "extra respect" and to watching USAn Mil. or civ as "decent", in which case - homework, good form and show. It was interesting at Fort Bliss [US' 1-3 ABCT's, inc. their Cav. reg.] to note that some habits of the higher-ups that had rolled down. Heel clicks were (when I was there) usually done behind higher-up's back, sometimes with, "ja, herr kommondant" in response to some ropy thing. You gotta fight authority, but I'm unusure if it's wise to promote dissent through behind the back insults (even though I've been guilty of that also...). One fella there would piroutte as he stepped on ninth pace (half tab?) to tenth, so as - appeared to me - to defeat this behaviour. I later learned he had been promoted from ranks, not entered in. Makes sense.

Supplemental:
I've spent too long observing social nuances, for abnormal, and handshakes are a whole book - I've only ever seen one man defeat Trump's handshake in the mentioned "strucutural" way: Justin Trudeau (Canadian HoS).
Marcello Rebello de Sousa (Portuguese HoS) went the simple martial way of pulling the push - simply body mechanics, but demonstrates how much effort Trump puts into it - pulled Trump a step forward (counter-timed, same technique) and also brought a look a shock on Trump's fizzog that a small guy would be able to shift him, and his technique was met the same - only with
The Queen is the Canadian HoS, Justin Trudeau is Head of Govt.

Monarchy of Canada - Wikipedia

That funeral had a turnout of nearly the entire Officers’ Mess of the mid 70s, Charlie was a legend in his life and when he crossed over to the other side of the stable yard he would have been welcomed by many others. For us left, we know that when our turn comes, Charlie will be there to welcome us with that huge smile and a full glass.

there are horses at point to points?

Without doubt the best officers I have served with or under (fnar) have been Cavalry.

Edit. Apart from my first platoon commander in 3PARA.
The Cavalry bless them are split down the middle from my experience, as an Infanteer and father of a recent Trooper they are either total tossers or absolute blinders.
In my BAOR days 1979 when I was a Inf Mech Pl Cmdr I had the misfortune to be attached to a Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Combat Team and their Sqd Ldr treated us like domestics, real pjs at night time and wake us up in the morning stuff. Whereas when I was at The IDB in 81 the QRIH Demo Sqd officers were great and the squadron one of the best - bar A sq 3RTR when they were with us in TF Foxtrot.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
We sit down for the Royal Toast because some King stood up and cracked their heads on the deckhead whilst being toasted.

Gen.
We were excused the loyal toast completely, not even required to stand. I still dont on formal occasions, it was conferred on two of the old county LI regiments one for service in the W Indies and one for duffing up some rude chaps in Brighton who had insulted the prince regent in a theatre!

As it´s a quiet Friday, here goes with a few mess based traditions (as most seem to be):

1. In the rest of the HDiv, LSgts (Cpl equivalent) are members of the WOs and Sgts Mess. Of course we have to take it one step further so LCpls are also members of said mess so it is effectively an NCOs´ Mess. This is actually a Life Guard thing adopted since the union. I think it works quite well but causes some angst with attached arms.

2. If the Orderly Officer dines alone, he was entitled to a bottle of wine "on the house". This only ever happens in Windsor when most people bug out to London at the earliest opportunity. This resulted in the Orderly Officer being fairly incapable by 9pm, so sadly, after hundreds of years, this tradition was anulled in the mid 90s.

3. If 13 officers are booked into dinner, an extra place is laid and a member of the mess staff is invited to sit down and eat the first course. Then he can bugger off and get on with his work as befits his station in life. Not sure if this tradition is continued with Sodhexo minimum wage slaves.

That´s all for now.

Don’t forget the saluting without a hat bit.

Half a half-deck.

Stroll on. Thank christ i never reached beyond the heady heights of corporalhood in a bog standard inf regt. All that fart arsing around with wiffly old traditions & wearing your boxers on your head on a Tues afternoon cos the king had been using his to jerk off into a thousand years ago would drive me up the wall. Tedious old load of cobblers.