Officers clicking heels

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
We sit down for the Royal Toast because some King stood up and cracked their heads on the deckhead whilst being toasted.

Gen.
You also carry your swords due to a mutiny :)

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
On a related note, a friend of mine once saluted the then PM, Gordon Brown. There then ensued a mass argument as to if you should salute the Prime Minister of the day.

Much checking of QRs later and the only reference we could find was:

Compliments in Special Cases

J8.054.
a. An officer of Her Majesty's diplomatic or other non military service is entitled to the honours and salutes appertaining to his office.

b. An officer holding a civil office who is also an officer of flag, general or air rank is entitled to the honours due to that rank if they are higher than those due to his civil office.

c. The compliments laid down in these regulations are to be paid to officers of corresponding rank in the service of any power formally recognised by Her Majesty

Part me of thinks yes, it’s a polite greeting but the other half of me shudders at the possibility of having to salute Jeremy Corbyn!
I'd salute him; so the enemy would know who the VVIP was.

Damn you for giving me yet another nugget of military trivia to ponder over in my quieter moments!
Got to keep the old grey matter ticking over in order to stop the atrophy setting in! :)

You also carry your swords due to a mutiny :)
We carry our swords for the same reason the Household Cavalry carry theirs: we don't need to carry it on our persons. We have a bloody great big ship to store and move it around with. We just draw it when we are at boarding stations...

Spent a bit of time attached to the KRH in Bosnia,they always called their CO Colonel. Being a grunt,I called him Sir. No one seemed to mind. I was told it was carry over from the 14/20th.
I worked with them in 4 Armd Bde when we went to Kosovo in 1999 and was attached to them for Ex WESSEX WARRIOR on SPTA in 2004 or 2005 - a good bunch.

During the latter, I had occasion to visit the BG HQ for something just prior to ENDEX. I walked in to find the place empty apart from a watchkeeper and a handful of signallers. On enquiring where everyone was, I was taken to the back of the complex and invited to peer through a gap in the tent wall. On doing so, I saw the CO hosting a Pimms/Champagne party for his officers prior to the final assault on Imber Village!! Class :)

A few weeks after ENDEX I got summoned to our regimental puzzle palace because my CO wished to speak to me. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't because I had committed some ghastly military blunder, rather that the CO KRH had written to my CO expressing his personal thanks for the efforts of my section and I in providing RMP support on the exercise. That was a very nice touch and I still have the letter somewhere.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:
If my memory serves me corrected the 5th were disbanded for misbehaving and the number not re-used until sometime after the 16th had formed; hence the anomaly of the 5th being junior to the 16th...
You are quite correct and Ireland would appear to have been the problem! See here from the NAM website:

5 Lancers

Edit: it would also appear that they had the 'honour' of sustaining the last British casualty of WW1. Pte Ellison was killed by a sniper at Mons minutes before 1100hrs on 11 Nov 18. Made more poignant I think that Pte Ellison had deployed with the 5 Lancers in Aug 14 and served throughout on the Western Front and that it was his second visit to Mons, the previous one being in 1914.

@Jorrocks, we are going to have to find you something else!! :)

Last edited:
You are quite correct and Ireland would appear to have been the problem! See here from the NAM website:

5 Lancers

Edit: it would also appear that they had the 'honour' of sustaining the last British casualty of WW1. Pte Ellison was killed by a sniper at Mons minutes before 1100hrs on 11 Nov 18. Made more poignant I think that Pte Ellison had deployed with the 5 Lancers in Aug 14 and served throughout on the Western Front and that it was his second visit to Mons, the previous one being in 1914.

@Jorrocks, we are going to have to find you something else!! :)
You´ve got me started now - why was Pte Ellison not Tpr Ellison?

You´ve got me started now - why was Pte Ellison not Tpr Ellison?
I think that Tpr as a formal rank was only introduced in the 1920s, same as Gdsm.

Out of interest what other weird and wonderful HCR/HCMR customs & traditions are there? Was interesting watching the recent documentary series on it.
As it´s a quiet Friday, here goes with a few mess based traditions (as most seem to be):

1. In the rest of the HDiv, LSgts (Cpl equivalent) are members of the WOs and Sgts Mess. Of course we have to take it one step further so LCpls are also members of said mess so it is effectively an NCOs´ Mess. This is actually a Life Guard thing adopted since the union. I think it works quite well but causes some angst with attached arms.

2. If the Orderly Officer dines alone, he was entitled to a bottle of wine "on the house". This only ever happens in Windsor when most people bug out to London at the earliest opportunity. This resulted in the Orderly Officer being fairly incapable by 9pm, so sadly, after hundreds of years, this tradition was anulled in the mid 90s.

3. If 13 officers are booked into dinner, an extra place is laid and a member of the mess staff is invited to sit down and eat the first course. Then he can bugger off and get on with his work as befits his station in life. Not sure if this tradition is continued with Sodhexo minimum wage slaves.

That´s all for now.

Once had a (private) row with the guard commander (me: dogsbody 2i/c) about him tipping his hand up to a police inspector, told him: he (inspector) was a civvy therefore a polite "Sir" was all that was required.

Asked Orderly Sgt to adjudicate: police are civvys but an inspector wears pips so holds a commission, boiled down to, he didn't know.

No way was I going to ask the SSM... the less I saw of him was the less extras I got.

Anyone know the gen. answer?
Yes. During the miners' strike. CVHQ RCT(V), Grantham, was used to accommodate police from all over the UK.

A pompous police "officer" (with rank worn on his epaulettes), was unfortunate enough to grip the RSM, and demand to know why the RSM had not shown him the courtesy of a salute?

The RSM explained that as a soldier, he saluted those who held a Queen's Commission. He added he would not, could not, salute the Police Officer, as he only held a commission from the local Council.

Last edited:
Yes. During the miners' strike. CVHQ RCT(V), Grantham, was used to accommodate police from all over the UK.

A pompous police officer (with rank worn on his upalletts), was unfortunate enough to grip the RSM, and demand to know why the RSM had not shown him the courtesy of a salute?

The RSM explained that as a soldier, he saluted those who held a Queen's Commission. He added he would not, could not, salute the Police Officer, as he only held a commission from the local Council.
Oh I'd loved to have been there to see his face, how many times his jaw must have bounced on the floor.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer