Officers clicking heels

On a related note, a friend of mine once saluted the then PM, Gordon Brown. There then ensued a mass argument as to if you should salute the Prime Minister of the day.

Much checking of QRs later and the only reference we could find was:

Compliments in Special Cases

J8.054.
a. An officer of Her Majesty's diplomatic or other non military service is entitled to the honours and salutes appertaining to his office.

b. An officer holding a civil office who is also an officer of flag, general or air rank is entitled to the honours due to that rank if they are higher than those due to his civil office.

c. The compliments laid down in these regulations are to be paid to officers of corresponding rank in the service of any power formally recognised by Her Majesty

Part me of thinks yes, it’s a polite greeting but the other half of me shudders at the possibility of having to salute Jeremy Corbyn!
Reverse Wolf Cub salute should do it.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Presumably you can make this shit up and nobody else would ever know?

"Yes, we always drink port from a teacup on Balaclava Day, well, odd years, unless Royalty is present of course".
I've done this a couple of times. It's useful when you forget bits of uniform and have to invent an order of dress on the fly.

One cavalry regiment wears their Sam Browne's back to front because a King accidentally did that on parade once in the 1800s; you can make anything sound more plausible than that.

I've done this a couple of times. It's useful when you forget bits of uniform and have to invent an order of dress on the fly.

One cavalry regiment wears their Sam Browne's back to front because a King accidentally did that on parade once in the 1800s; you can make anything sound more plausible than that.
We sit down for the Royal Toast because some King stood up and cracked their heads on the deckhead whilst being toasted.

Gen.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
We sit down for the Royal Toast because some King stood up and cracked their heads on the deckhead whilst being toasted.

Gen.
All clips on, FOST foulie and Safeguard.

On a related note, a friend of mine once saluted the then PM, Gordon Brown. There then ensued a mass argument as to if you should salute the Prime Minister of the day.

Much checking of QRs later and the only reference we could find was:

Compliments in Special Cases

J8.054.
a. An officer of Her Majesty's diplomatic or other non military service is entitled to the honours and salutes appertaining to his office.

b. An officer holding a civil office who is also an officer of flag, general or air rank is entitled to the honours due to that rank if they are higher than those due to his civil office.

c. The compliments laid down in these regulations are to be paid to officers of corresponding rank in the service of any power formally recognised by Her Majesty

Part me of thinks yes, it’s a polite greeting but the other half of me shudders at the possibility of having to salute Jeremy Corbyn!
Once had a (private) row with the guard commander (me: dogsbody 2i/c) about him tipping his hand up to a police inspector, told him: he (inspector) was a civvy therefore a polite "Sir" was all that was required.

Asked Orderly Sgt to adjudicate: police are civvys but an inspector wears pips so holds a commission, boiled down to, he didn't know.

No way was I going to ask the SSM... the less I saw of him was the less extras I got.

Anyone know the gen. answer?

No
Once had a (private) row with the guard commander (me: dogsbody 2i/c) about him tipping his hand up to a police inspector, told him: he (inspector) was a civvy therefore a polite "Sir" was all that was required.

Asked Orderly Sgt to adjudicate: police are civvys but an inspector wears pips so holds a commission, boiled down to, he didn't know.

No way was I going to ask the SSM... the less I saw of him was the less extras I got.

Not sure but you should salute a funeral cortege if it passes you whilst you are in uniform.

Just been watching the news and saw a segment about the UK ambassador to the US resigning. A segment was shown with him shaking Trump's hand having been introduced by Prince Charles at the recent state visit. What really took me back was the next person Trump shook hands with was an equerry (a Major from the HCR) who bowed and clicked his heels together,Prussian-Style, before shaking Trump's hand. Anyone know if this is normal (and yes, it has been a slow day!).
Not sure about any of this, but Major TA is a top bloke!

I imagine that should be matched with a nice Chianti, the white kind, obviously, I'm not an animal.
Tuscany grub's good. Have whatever you like with your bowl of beans mate.

Customs Officers used to hold commissions, but we were never too hot on drill and suchlike.

16/5L I think it was King Alfonso XIII of Spain who was Colonel of the Regt.

16/5L I think it was King Alfonso XIII of Spain who was Colonel of the Regt.
Why was it 16/5L and not the more logical 5/16L? I'm guessing that the 5 Lancers had some regimental baggage attached which carried over post-amalgamation.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Annigoni had a commission to paint HMQ - there are different types of Commission! I don't think police Inspectors come into the salutes by servicemen/women bracket - FFS policemen don't even salute Inspectors.

Annigoni had a commission to paint HMQ - there are different types of Commission! I don't think police Inspectors come into the salutes by servicemen/women bracket - FFS policemen don't even salute Inspectors.
That's so the inspectors don't get picked off by snipers.