Officers clicking heels

stagon

Crow
Just been watching the news and saw a segment about the UK ambassador to the US resigning. A segment was shown with him shaking Trump's hand having been introduced by Prince Charles at the recent state visit. What really took me back was the next person Trump shook hands with was an equerry (a Major from the HCR) who bowed and clicked his heels together,Prussian-Style, before shaking Trump's hand. Anyone know if this is normal (and yes, it has been a slow day!).

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Ste
Just been watching the news and saw a segment about the UK ambassador to the US resigning. A segment was shown with him shaking Trump's hand having been introduced by Prince Charles at the recent state visit. What really took me back was the next person Trump shook hands with was an equerry (a Major from the HCR) who bowed and clicked his heels together,Prussian-Style, before shaking Trump's hand. Anyone know if this is normal (and yes, it has been a slow day!).
steak, new potatoes and broad beans tonight

offog

LE
Ste

steak, new potatoes and broad beans tonight
New spuds are old now and I find them tasteless this time of year. Some of the ones I had this have been very poor this year. No union rings?

Just try clicking your heels while wearing spurs!

Don't see anything particularly impressive about some donkey walloping rupert from HCR clicking heals.

Now if they could train the horses to do it, that would be awesome and may even get a smiley face plus a thumbs up.

He was simply paying Herr Drumpf a traditional compliment from the fatherland.

I did wonder if he clicked his heels in place of standing to attention? Either way, never seen it before, hope I never see it again

It is a Blues and Royals tradition. The Life Guards don´t do it. It dates from pre-WW1 when the Kaiser was Colonel of the Royal Dragoons. It is generally only done as a mark of respect when the Commanding Officer enters the mess or an officer enters the ante room if the CO is present. I´m surprised that the equerry did it for Trump. I admit that we have more than our fair share of quaint traditions (like ORs saluting without headress, again only RHG/D), but it does annoy me when people take this outside the regiment. I took over in Belize from another Household Cavalryman who had pissed off the Air Commander by insisting on addressing him as Wing Commander instead of Sir because that is the custom in our regiment. Fine, but don´t do it if it rubs someone up the wrong way.

Latest Threads