• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Officers and recruiting areas

What do soldiers think to officers outside of the regiments regular recruiting areas? i.e. An English officer in SCOTS or a Scottish officer in RIFLES etc etc most officers from outside of the regular recruiting areas?

Thank you chaps,

Ducki

I can add a small piece of information: I was told that most of the officers in the Royal Welsh regiment are English-born.

I don't see a problem with going far afield personally, but your interviewers will be interested to know why - "your own locality's not enough, eh?" 8O

But I'm sure everyone has a different opinion as to this (entirely valid and acceptable) question.

Cheers guys. I didnt really want to serve with my local regiment because a) Theyre Inf, and I wanna drive tanks :D (</baby mode>), b) If im not mistaken, there isnt a Cav regiment local to me

North Lincolnshire, the local regiment is the Anglians I think.

The Royal Anglians - 2nd Bn, The Poachers.

Cav - 9/12 Lancers.

I was under the impression that the 9/12 recruited from Leicestershire and that way on?

I just went to the 9/12 webby, and their recruiting map turns up this

bearing in mind that I live in Scunthorpe, near the Humber, its a fair way away from me.

*edit*

just clicked on the QRL, and they recruit from around my area. I rather like their cap badge as well.

My mistake - meant QRL. I knew it was some sort of Lancers...

I wouldn't worry too much about it ducki. I'm not an Officer but I'm sure those who are will agree with me when I tell you that recruiting areas are far from set in stone - particularly for the (sadly) much-amalgamated Cavalry - and that you should try out as broad a range of Regiments as you can. Most RAC Regiments have been butchered so much by successive Govenments that they contain a bizarre mix of accents - including the unholy alliance of Jocks and Scousers in the case of 1 RTR. But all that is irrelevant if your going to be an officer - you'll end up sounding like Bertie Wooster wherever you end up :D .

wedge35 said:
I wouldn't worry too much about it ducki. I'm not an Officer but I'm sure those who are will agree with me when I tell you that recruiting areas are far from set in stone - particularly for the (sadly) much-amalgamated Cavalry - and that you should try out as broad a range of Regiments as you can. Most RAC Regiments have been butchered so much by successive Govenments that they contain a bizarre mix of accents - including the unholy alliance of Jocks and Scousers in the case of 1 RTR. But all that is irrelevant if your going to be an officer - you'll end up sounding like Bertie Wooster wherever you end up :D .
Haha, I suppose thats true. I was quite interested in the SDG, mostly because they drive the Chally, but so did the QRL at the beginning of last decade, so I suppose that no matter what regiment I go into, I'll get a good taste of every type of armour going.

As an officer it doesn't matter where you come from, as Regiment's recruiting areas are prone to change (as the Army shrinks).

You will find that most Scottisch Regiment's officers are from the Highlands of Berkshire!! (Joking).

If you are interested in Cav then say so, they may steer you towards a Regiment based on home town, but to be honest, I doubt it matters.

Alrighty then, cheers guys. Although, having looked at their regimental webby, I think the QRL may well suit me anyway (local Cav regiment), and at l;east theyre based closer to home than the SCOTS DG.

thanks again,

Ducki

WHOA!!

Closer to home! You're joining the Army to live half an hour from your mum - she wont need to do your ironing...plus that'll go out of the window on Ops/BATUS/Arms plot to Germany...

True, but im assuming Ill be single for a year or so when I join the regiment, so Ill need somewhere to crash when I get a chance to get out of camp. And my mum hasnt done my ironing for about 6 years! Or tidied my bedroom, made my bed, done my washing etc etc