Officers and languages in Int Corps?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by badda-boom, Aug 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, just wondering if any Officers in the int corps can give me a bit of info. Have any of you picked up languages in the army after becoming an Officer? If so do you just work dark side? Also do you use the language within your role as Officer or do you lead the linguists without using the language much yourself?

2. Bawa will you learn...

3. I feel I may have missed something here :S

4. It is now obligatory for all officers wishing to join or transfer to the Corps to be fluent in the following languages, a minimum of 5 secondary languages and dialects for service in Afghanistan, which must be undertaken before attending RMAS or qualifying with a degree (at least 2:1)

Languages are Persian Dari and Pashto

Recommended alternative languages/dialects are Ozbeki, Torkmani, Balochi (Baluci), Pashayi and Nuristani.

As you can see, the officer has to have an advantage over his soldiers, many of whom also have a working knowledge of the 40 dialects spoken in the country.

I wish you luck-It took me two years of constant study and I failed by mixing Balochi with Waziristani in my final exam

5. bored today then HS? :)

6. Is he for real? My bullshit detector is blaring right now.

7. No, I'm afraid CR is all too real. Depressing, isn't it? Oh, you mean HS? Well, that's a distinctly more complex question. Parts of him are definitely substantial and quite a lot of his material on here is not wholly unreliable.

8. English is a real advantage.

9. I have to ask myself if Badda Boom is for real and question his suitability as an officer in the Corps if this is the sort of intelligent leading question he comes up with.

Bullshit Baffles Brains !

10. What, pray tell, have I asked that is so stupid?

11. i dnt no wat u sying. yu wnt beef blud. cum un init.

Or (I can't even read for myself what the above is)

Kya?