Officer wears fallen soldier's medals

Unbelievable (or maybe not!).

Officer prosecuted for wearing fallen soldier

Johannesburg - The incumbent new commander of the Durban Light Infantry is being prosecuted because he allegedly wore a fellow soldier's medals at an official parade, Beeld reported on Monday.

Lieutenant –Colonel Sibusiso Amos Mbuyazi, 42, reportedly wore the unit's deceased's chaplain's Southern Cross and Pro Patria medals and his John Chard Decoration for impeccable, continuous service (30 years), when he received his rank at a Pretoria parade on 22 August.

Durban Light Infantry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But "I was framed" I was framed, says top officer - Crime & Courts | IOL News | IOL.co.za

“I just put my tunic on. I don’t look down. If there were other medals there, someone must have put them there,” he said

But Mbuyazi said he was framed. “I have six medals, one for 10 years’ service, another for 20 years’ service. I can’t remember what the others were for".

“I was not welcomed here. Transformation has to take place. This is a black-white thing. I looked at the charges and just laughed. I’m strong,
I see he's played the race card.

Bing! I knew that sounded familiar. Any of you farmers care to confirm that the JC medal is named for the OC Rorkes Drift.

I was framed, says top officer
October 2 2012 at 09:59am
By Colleen Dardagan

An official picture taken at the August 22 parade showing Lieutenant-Colonel Sibusiso Mbuyazi apparently wearing the deceased chaplain Patrick Montgomerys medals.

Durban - The commanding officer-to-be of the Durban Light Infantry, Lieutenant-Colonel Sibusiso Mbuyazi, denies wearing a dead man’s medals at a parade in Pretoria in August, labelling allegations that he did so as a racist attack to smear his name.

In an interview with The Mercury on Monday, Mbuyazi, 42, said the “six” medals were permanently displayed on his tunic.

“I just put my tunic on. I don’t look down. If there were other medals there, someone must have put them there,” he said.

Mbuyazi allegedly wore the late Chaplain Patrick Montgomery’s medals at a parade when he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel.

He officially takes charge of the DLI on Wednesday.

A charge of theft has been laid against him by the DLI headquarter’s board chairman, Mike Adrain, because the medals were reportedly stolen from a display cabinet at the unit in May.

The SANDF has issued a military order charging him with wearing another soldier’s medals.

But Mbuyazi said he was framed. “I have six medals, one for 10 years’ service, another for 20 years’ service. I can’t remember what the others were for. After the parade I put my tunic down in the offices at the Pretoria headquarters.”

The receptionist on duty at headquarters told him that someone “went to my jacket and started fiddling with the medals and taking pictures”.

“When I got back to my room I noticed that all my medals were gone,” he said.

Mbuyazi said the person probably pinned the medals on his jacket earlier and was seen looking at them and photographing them. He accused the person of removing all the medals, including his own.

Mbuyazi also denied that he had said he had “borrowed the medals from a friend”.

“I was not welcomed here. Transformation has to take place. This is a black-white thing. I looked at the charges and just laughed. I’m strong, but I am feeling that my life is threatened now,” he said.

The Mercury established from military files that Mbuyazi officially had four medals: the Unitas medal and general service medal – 10 years, a loyal service medal with a 20-year bar and the Protea bronze.

After Montgomery’s death, his medals were given to the DLI by his family for display purposes. The chaplain was awarded seven medals which included the John Chard Decoration and bar for 30 years’ service.

Mbuyazi also reportedly wore the medals to an official dinner after the parade.

While SANDF spokesman Xolani Mabanga failed to respond, Colonel Pat Acutt, senior staff officer of the Defence Reserves in KZN, said Mbuyazi was likely to appear before a military judge in the next few weeks. - The Mercury
The medals were stolen from a case where they were displayed at the unit. It appears our hero is a little light fingered as well as being a bloody fibbing walt. Which professional soldier is unable to remember what each medal was awarded for, or how many he has?

R

really?_fascinating

Me. I've got two at the end that just arrived in the post. Did nothing to earn them.

E

exmunkey

What a cock
Personally I think the just being there medals might as well stay in the draw, don't tell the septics. Didn't earn any in green and wouldn't wear the mickey mouse once in civ

What a shock. In a country where the Minister of Health denies there is an AIDS epidemic.

What's that got to do with it? Have the medals got AIDS?
When they let the ANC take over the country, it's no surprise that they wind up promoting senior officers who are capable of such incredibly petty venality. I mean, good God. Stealing medals and walting around with them? Then his incredibly retarded excuse? And "I don't remember what the other medals were for???" Excuse me? What kind of system allows an assclown of this magnitude to become the CO of a regiment? Hmmmmm...maybe a system run by ANC cronies. Zimbabwe, move over and make room for the next post-colonial disaster story.

When they let the ANC take over the country, it's no surprise that they wind up promoting senior officers who are capable of such incredibly petty venality. I mean, good God. Stealing medals and walting around with them? Then his incredibly retarded excuse? And "I don't remember what the other medals were for???" Excuse me? What kind of system allows an assclown of this magnitude to become the CO of a regiment? Hmmmmm...maybe a system run by ANC cronies. Zimbabwe, move over and make room for the next post-colonial disaster story.
It's not as if the US military is without its own scumbags:

Rotten Rose Petals in War

How did this Sinclair guy get to be a general?

EDITED TO ADD:

Interesting:

Army Brigadier General Roger Duff pleaded guilty in June to two charges of false official statements and charges of wearing unauthorized decorations.
Read more: http://nation.time.com/2012/09/26/general-misconduct/#ixzz28Puoc9Hi

"I have six medals, one for 10 years' service, another for 20 years' service. I can't remember what the others were for."
"I was not welcomed here. Transformation has to take place. This is a black-white thing. I looked at the charges and just laughed. I'm strong, but I am feeling that my life is threatened now," he said.
A couple of things struck me about the above:

How old is the SANDF? - I ask because I wonder how this prize specimen could have "20 years' service"....surely to God he wasn't in the SADF?

It's a bit rich to be playing the race/discrimination card when he's just been made CO of the regiment.

Based on the photograph which accompanies the article he should be charged with impersonating an officer.

How old is the SANDF?
18 years- 1994.

- I ask because I wonder how this price specimen could have "20 years' service"....surely to God he wasn't in the SADF?
Could have been. There were black units in the old SADF. Service in one of the TBVC state defence forces might also be counted, I'm not sure.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

How old is the SANDF?
18 years- 1994.

- I ask because I wonder how this prize specimen could have "20 years' service"....surely to God he wasn't in the SADF?

Could have been. There were black units in the old SADF. Service in one of the TBVC state defence forces might also be counted, I'm not sure.
The Unitas gong was for all those serving in the SADF or homeland Defence Forces when they were all binned and the SANDF appeared.

It was also for all those 'serving' in MK, APLA & the other terrorist - I'm sorry, freedom fighter - factions, so twenty or more years 'service' is quite possible if he'd either run away and hidden in another country or just kept to murdering children going to school, pensioners at lunch or women having coffee.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Unitas gong was for all those serving in the SADF or homeland Defence Forces when they were all binned and the SANDF appeared.

It was also for all those 'serving' in MK, APLA & the other terrorist - I'm sorry, freedom fighter - factions, so twenty or more years 'service' is quite possible if he'd either run away and hidden in another country or just kept to murdering children going to school, pensioners at lunch or women having coffee.

just funny how race comes into so many things

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

just funny how race comes into so many things
Eh ?
How did you reach that conclusion ?