Officer vs Soldier

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by adidazzler, Sep 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alright guys girls and assorted others, as my first post on ARRSE i thought i'd pose you with a bit of an internal struggle i've been having with myself and see if you lads can help me sort it out.

I graduated last year from stirling uni with a 2:1 in sports studies and decided that i wanted to go to sandhurst. So off i went to the AFCO had meeting with ACO and went off down to bovington to see the RTR. All well.

Then i come home and through various sources such as mates that are serving soldiers the news etc i find somewhat to my surprise that officers aren't so revered in the army as perhaps an outsider would think. From the jist of things basically they are thought of as a bunch of know it all silver spoon up ARRSE cnuts that deserved to be slapped more than listened too. THIS IS NOT HOW I WANT MY ARMY LIFE TO BE.

I then deceided that perhaps life as a regular would be more of what i was looking for however i've also found from similar sources to above that going in as a regular at 23 with a degree may be frowned upon by my fellow recruits and ill be thougt of as just as much of a cnut as i would of as if i went to RMAS. My quandry is thus when i'm in the army i want to be surrounded by people that i can trust and i can rely on as they will be able to with me, not with preconceived ideas about me or the type of person i am. Whats the best way to go about things guys as i have to do this soon or i never will and its something i really want to do for many different reasons.

2. Don't worry about it.

Be honest, be fair, listen to well-intentioned advice but accept the responsibility.

Every rank has a dig at every other rank. In the case of officers, they're usually so remote (because of traditions as much as anything), that they become fair game for behind-the-back comments. Junior officers more so until thay have proven themselves.

Another reason why officers are not revered is that they are NOT God. With luck and hard work, they become respected. (The Army confers deity to another rank, one which is not commissioned).

Besides, how can you revere somebody who can't read a map?

3. putteesinmyhands said:
    Case in point: a while back I was standing outside the chow hall in line waiting to go in and get some grub. This one Army officer walks up and the whole line stands at attention and starts saluting. The man, not wanting to salute back barks that he is there to get lunch and not break his arm rendering salutes back.

At which, a young Marine Lance Cpl walks up to him and in a a very steady but very angry voice says," Sir, if you don't want to be saluted, resign your commission."

Said officer grows smaller before our eyes and slinks away. Enlisted people rule!!

Whatever you do, be ready to take responsibility, whether enlisted or officer.

4. I was once ripped apart by a group of "wife ofs" which I always avoided like the bloody plague, becuase I stooD up at a families meeting back in December 02 and asked who was going to look after giving wives security dos and don'ts if they didnt live on camp but in the local town upon deployment of our husbands to op Telic 1. The town had a real RACIAL and Religious mix if you get me?

The CO (who was an outright cock) assures me the next meeting would provide all the information that we needed.

Jan/Feb 03, stood back up and asked why we had still not been given any info at next meeting...... same CO stuttered and stammered and looked the biggest cnut (I hate that word but for him it was apt) on two legs.

I was shortly after ripped apart by the officers wives for making him look stupid. Although OHs OC wife was lovely lol.......

Anyway my point is, I hate officers and the bullshit that comes with them.

I have met very few who can relate like normal human beings to wives and I think they seriously feel uncomfortable talking to us as we in their eyes are totally boring.....

The other thing is had the COs wife not been the COs wife, I would without doubt have punched her straight in the face for being such an obnoxious bullying bitch.

But I couldn't.

Rant over.

PBS XXX

5. PBS: You know the problem. The offrs outrank your OH, but they don't outrank you. Offrs' wives feel the need to accept responsibility as part of their military marital duties, but they don't have the responsibility (and often the aptitude).

But I can sense that you have a lot of feelings bottled up. Go on - let them all out - I won't tell anyone. It's just between you and me....

6. And the rest of arrse, but hey, we're all friends here and can keep a secret.

7. don't give a.....

we have been out since June............and..............LOVING IT!!!

As my husband always say, officers are like lighthouses in the desert. Very bright but no use to anyone.

PBS X

8. Fckin hell, there's a lot of chips on shoulders here. Why is it that one soldier does something wrong and it's "ok, he's an exception, the majority are really good blokes" and yet, as soon as one officer gets on your tits "oh they're all the same, completely useless" yada yada yada...? There are some wnakers for officers, just as there are some wnakers for NCOs. Don't tar them all with the same brush.

9. join as an officer - more money, less bullsh1t, better accommodation, more responsibility, more fun, more scope for doing different things.

and if non-commissioned personnel look down on you and grumble about "fcking officers" then smile indulgently and knock off early to go for a session in the mess.

10. Dear boy, let AOSB decide for you. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you are officer material. There are many soldiers with degrees throughout the Army.

You have raised a good point about trust. Why should they trust you? How have you proven to anyone that you are trustworthy either as a soldier or as an officer? I doubt that you could walk in and gain their immediate trust in either role. For officers and soldiers alike the ability to develop that trust and prove your worth is very important. It does go both ways: you have to work hard to get your soldiers to trust you as an officer (whoever assumes it is theirs by right is a fool); you will have to go a long way as an officer to trust your soldiers to do the right thing, therein lies your job and responsibility to them, to train them and look after them to the best of your ability so that you know what they are capable of and what you can trust them with in turn they will trust you and *shock* respect you, because you have earned it.

I have been let down many, many times by soldiers because I trusted them when they weren't worthy of that trust: I will continue to make that mistake for the rest of my time in the Army. How else do you really know whether they are trustworthy until you have tried it.

Your friends clearly see their life in the Army through a very narrow prism: might I suggest you analyse exactly why they don't like their officers. Is it because their officers tell them to do things they don't want to do? Is it because their officers don't pick up on the things that they (your frinds) try to get away with? Is it that their officers find fault when they have taken a shortcut? Is it because they think they are better than their officers? Is it because they think because their officers appeared miraculously out of nowhere and come from a different background they must be bad (four legs good, two legs bad comes to mind)? Is it *shock* they are jealous of their officers? Or is it that their officers are human beings, make mistakes and aren't perfect?

Oh and puttees ref mapreading: during an exercise a while back a young officer's platoon was late reaching an RV because two of the section commanders got lost. The 2Lt took the rap from the Coy 2IC. The next night the platoon was late again, because one of the section commanders got lost: the 2Lt took the rap from the OC. The next night the platoon was on time. Every task from then on the 2Lt was on time and on target. At the next officers to the sgts' mess the young officer got loads of stick from SNCOs from the other companies for those two nights late: he didn't say it was because of the corporals, he didn't pretend he hadn't been late, he let the banter wash over him. The Bn 2IC didn't know about any of this and raised his doubts about the pl comd's ability with the CO who raised the issue with the OC. The OC had to explain to the CO in depth that the section commanders had let him down: on the second night the pl comd had had to lead one of the sect comds by the nose, on the third night he had got the pl sgt to lead the other one until they were content that the two cpls knew what they were doing. The CSM had to speak to the RSM to clear up this YO's reputation.

The moral of the story? It was the platoon commander's responsibility to ensure that his platoon got to the RV on time. He failed in that task two nights in a row: neither time was it his fault yet he set about ensuring that the two corporals (who after all were Brecon trained, and had about 6 years service more than him) were trained properly so that he could trust them to get their section from A to B. He saw it as his responsibility to get his corporals up to the right standard and kept their fault away from the OC and 2IC (it was the Pl Sgt who had explained what was going on to the CSM). Those SNCOs in the sgts' mess took the urine mercilessly and he continued to take it from them: to blame his corporals would be to undo all the good work he had done with them and probably undermine his reputation in the battalion even further. He is one of the finest young officers I know and his soldiers unanimously respect him.

11. Top post, barbs.

To the initial poster, I would suggest you attend some Familiarisation visits to different units to see what the Officers are like and what they get up to. If it doesn't appeal, don't apply to join as an Officer.

If it does, apply for AOSB and start the ball really rolling. You might pass, you might not. Whatever you do, best of luck!

12. I'm hoping to join as an Officer, and it is a bit off-putting when you pick up on the "Oh orrifce's, they are all a useless bunch of stuck up wnakers who couldn't read a map to save their life, all red trousers and stupid accents" etc..........

But on the other hand I have my personal experience of Officers, mainly retired........... which seems to suggest that the absolute opposite is true. There were several ex-officers from both Navy and Army who taught at my school, and it was notable that they were by far and away the best organised and had the least ill-disciplined classes etc. We also had a retired RSM who ran the CCF, along with an ex navy WO who organised the CCF shooting team, both of whom were also top blokes (if very scary at times!). As far as I can see all the ex-forces people I have met have all been pretty switched on etc.

13. HH_2, adidazzler, I've spoken to the gents I work with at present (Serving NCO's in the Army) and when asked what they thought about Officers, their was, of course, some pi$$-taking about map reading etc. but they all said, to a man, that in both the Officer camp and the Soldier camp, you get bad eggs. But on the whole, they're a good bunch.

So, it would appear, despite the general ARRSE dislike of Officers, that both the Officers and the Soldiers are generally a good bunch, you get bad apples from both sides.