Officer transferring from Inf to RE

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by saddened_subbie, May 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am an infantry officer (Lt, grad) who is a bit disillusioned with the infantry currently. I have been on tour as a rifle platoon commander but am unlikely to get the opportunity to do it again as my Regiment is off the Herrick rotation. The Regiment is also amalgamating with all the heartache that involves as well as the reduced job prospects for everyone from SNCO upwards.

I thought about joining the Sappers at RMAS but chose inf instead and am now wondering if I made the wrong choice.

I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate answered.

Is it possible to transfer at pre-Captain level?
    Who would I need to speak to in the Corps?
    Would it impact upon my career greatly (ie would it be suicide)?
    What is the geo-cell like as a job?

2. Try SF (whatever tier), or aviation , or ask for an MA / ADC job or whatever. What I'm getting at is step up, don't step down.

If you go from the infantry to a CS unit without trying the above you'll look back and regret it, I'd have thought.....??
  3. While your advice is good, that's a pretty arrogant statement to make. I doubt many sappers would consider themselves a 'step down'.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. I have thought about different inf jobs inc MA and ADC but they are jobs, I would still be inf.

As for SF, I have thought about it but the timing isn't quite right. Even if I was lucky enough to pass, then I would still return to RD after a couple of years
  5. And where/what will you be in 10 and 20 years' time?
  6. Not necessarily true. If you end up somewhere else (and I offer SF or Avn as a couple of examples) and you do well, you can stay within those organisations. If you "step down" to the Gunners / Sappers / Sigs or wherever, you'll regret it for a long time, I'd suggest.
  7. You managed to get in first and lessen my 'outrage'. Try asking CGS about the notion of 'stepping down' and it wasn't that long ago that we had AG and CDM as well. Although I'm sure that chasndave has plenty of evidence and personal experience to substantiate his rather extraordinary statement.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I attempted to be open minded with my previous post but I'm afraid it is now clear that you are an utter cock.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

The bloke you need to speak to is the RE desk officer in Glasgow. He'll give you the low down on what the chances are and any other stuff you'd need to do. Their troop commander's course is pretty long I think? He'll also offer an assessment on what the impact is on your career.

I did the pilots course as a junior Capt, along with loads of my contemporaries, so have some experience of the impact of changing cap badges at a relatively similar stage. In my opinion, it does have a moderate impact on your career prospects but that is far better than staying in a job you don't enjoy!

By the way you didn't mention what was making you disillusioned but I expect it is to do with your hierachy? In that case a tour away from the Regt/Bn might be the way ahead. Don't you guys all expect to do your 2nd tour in a training establishment?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ethel: Apologies for the outrage theft - and I'm not even a Sapper!
  11. Apologies to BCO but I have to add that the short-term view mustn't obscure the long-term one, even if it's hugely enjoyable. The essential thing is where you will be afterwards, and how you see your pensionable age being spent.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Interesting and of course we're all different. Personally I'd have never have made it to my pension point if I hadn't been doing something I enjoyed.
  13. How do you know that? =-D

Not my point, though. I can't emphasise the 'pension' point enough to my ******** (RE) son of 23 years of age, because he doesn't believe that he's not going to live until the 1000 year point. How many points are needed?
  14. The RE Troop Commanders Course is around about 6 months in length, split between 3 RSME and 1 RSME. If you aren't that far into your career it shouldn't do you too much harm. As for going geo, you need to have some form of relevant degree but I'm not that clued up on what Geo's requirements are, it would be worth speaking to the Royal School of Military Survey to find out what they deem as suitable.

As for chasndave, what a ******* belter, stepping down indeed!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Quite right too! Having had to manage, supervise and administer your badmin Plant Life, I can confirm that moving to the infantry would be a step down in regards to leadership skills and capability.