Officer Transfer age limit

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Cheese_on_Toast, Sep 24, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents, pretty bone question on the face of things....

The army website gives a maximum age for office transfer to pilot at 30, does anyone know of any exceptions, or is this a rule in stone?

Thanks.

2. It can be a bit fluid but it depends on several possible factors. What you have to offer the Corps, return of service etc, if we are undermanned (we aren't at the moment). There are exceptions but in this climate, I'm afraid, you may be unlucky. If you did transfer at 30, by the time you are a usable asset, you'll be knocking on 33+. Doesnt sound too old in the grand scheme of things but unless the Corps sees you as the next CGS, it doesn't leave much time for them to wring out the max from you. Sorry to sound negative but at present, the AAC is very reluctant to take on what it sees as extra risk.

3. Hows the Corps doing at the moment for NCO pilots? Im 30 and soon to be attending grading, are they likely to give me the chop at the selection board due to my age? i have 12 years service left to complete.

4. We're very short of NCO pilots so you have a better chance than a similarly aged officer.

5. Thanks Flash, that's good to hear.