Officer Training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by lancs_lad, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently do my TA weekends then will be doing CIC. I have already been asked about becoming an officer. I have heard it takes ages and requires considerable commitment. I have read the pros and cons thread but I would like to know what you actually do on the training and how long it takes. Or point me in the direction of a webpage that tells me all.

Thanks in advance.

2. well ultimately you learn to command 3 sections of soldiers, and the run up to that takes a while i.e. module 2 for me was about 8 or 9 weekends i think and module 3 (mainly testing phases) was 2 long weekends.

obviously you start from the bottom up, a soldiers responsibilities and then learn a section commanders responsibilities and then add on top of that on what it means to a platoon commander.

the tough stuff is writing orders, and the process which you go through to produce these, a process known as The Seven Questions. youll grow to loathe them.

but much more than just fieldcraft ability, you also learn what it means to be an officer and all that jazz.

module 2 and 3 must be completed and passed prior to acceptance at TA Sandhurst (as well as a pass at AOSB).

thats about all i can remember as ive blocked most of it from my memory. intentionally.

3. MOD 2, the first couple of weekends we did low level skills - zeroing and grouping, section battle drills, grenades etc. Then we did a signals weekend. We did 3 further camp based weekends over the course - 2 on orders and the PRACTAC weekend. The other 4 weekends were in the field - a nav ex, section/pl attacks, patrols and ambushes and the confirmatory field weekend. PT each camp weekend including one assault course, one bleep test and the 2.4km the other times.

MOD 3 is more of the same for us - a weekend revising orders, then into the field to practise all the relevant skills and PRACTAC 2.

Yes you will need a lot of commitment - with briefing and Board dates you can end up with biggish gaps where you will redo weekends to keep your skills up but just remember you can't have enough experience. We've all had the why the hell am I doing this days but it's worth it for what's at the end.

4. Depending on the TRC that you go to for the training is how they formulate the Mod 2 and Mod 3 courses.

Some do them over weekends and some over 10 days on a camp.

Mod 2 - You will be introduced to the 7 questions estimate, QBO's and other command tools and how to write and give orders. Your basic soldiering skills will be revised then put together with the command tools is section attacks. Plus other elements of officership.

Mod 3 is revision of Mod 2 then a lot of practace, there is usually little new instruction on a Mod 3 as most of the time is better spent getting on with the job of Tewts and attacks, both section and platoon.

If you are a DETAPO try to fill the gap inbetween the Mod courses with going to a local infantry unit (even if you dont want to go infantry after you commission) and asking if you can go on some of thier weekends, as practace of the basics makes is easier to do and you can then concentrate on the difficult parts of the course. This will also help prevent skill fade.

5. msr

msr LE

6. There is quite a lot of difference between brigade areas in the way that this is done. If your OC is supportive and you can get an ACA to also be helpful then the process goes pretty smoothly.
    I'm currently about to do Summer Challenge which will fulfill my 'basic soldier' traingin (Mod 1) but have already gone through Westbury, sponsored by the ACA on recommendation of my unit. Once I've completed summer challenge, having already had the tick in the box from Westbury (Main Board) I will be an Officer Cadet and will then do the Mod 2 etc at the RTC. If you have the time and the will, by doing courses at different RTC's you can get the whole thing done in less than a year with RMAS being the finale. Given that the RMAS intake for September is possibly going to be cancelled, there will be quite a few Officer Cadets around until Sept 2010 when they will do Mod 5 and get commissioned.
    Essentially, the main thing is to do AOSB before you start your Mod2 training. (Not all units seem to do this) The advantage in doing it means that you have got the assessment part out of the way before the training - otherwise you could do all the work only to find AOSB fail you - which gives you some more seniority as well.

There is a lot of commitment and it is sensible to spend time with your unit as well as on training; training nights, weekends/camp etc. But it can be done most straightforwardly by doing the Westbury elements first and then trying to concentrate the Mod 2 stuff thereafter.

7. Who said the sept intake is going to be cancelled? I just got JIs for this Sept?

-PAN

8. MOD 5 is the post commissioning course run for newly commissioned Young Officers.

I'm interested to hear you say September 09 has been cancelled as there was a meeting on Saturday to discuss cancelling the March 10 intake.

I'd add, it's not necessarily a bad thing to do Briefing and Board during your training as you get the benefit of tips from people who've been there and done it very recently and you can support each other through that. Plus, it is a nice advantage to have already developed some of the required skills.

Certainly at my RTC there was no difference in treatment as regards seniority between those who had passed Board and those who were still waiting.

9. Apologies - March intake is alledgedly to be cancelled, not Sept - my mistake.

10. March isnt a great time to pick up OTC types

11. Phew! Almost paniced there and phoned every member of staff I know.

-PAN

12. They have cancelled the March intake or so I'm told. My advice to anyone joining the Ta right now as an officer is don't...wait out a little while and see where things lead us...my lot seem to be pretty tight for cash and it makes life pretty awful for the troops..

13. i'll be due to finish Phase1 in feb, and hopefully have my board done by then, according to my Sqn Capt and the WO2 for TAPO at the RTC.

That'll be a bugger if i have to wait until sept next year then!

14. msr

msr LE

You should get on the July course: http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=126937/start=0.html ;)

msr