Officer Training questions

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
If Mum or Dad are with 5 or 6 this will help your application, a lot.

If you have not yet had a medical or even AOSB then just wait to see what happens.
But read up on your chosen Regiment or Corps before attending & see what occurs.

By the time you get to RMAS things might change or offers will be different.

Int Corps officers no better or worse than any others. The ones I encountered around various HQs from Bde upwards were generally pretty switched on.
Two of the highest performers from my Pl at RMAS went to INT CORPS. One turned down a place with the Paras as he'd had such an underwhelming fam visit.

The OP may be overthinking the problem a bit too much. Don’t get bogged down in the semi mythical regimental selection process. Do your research of the bits of the army that interest you most. Get some familiarisation visits under your belt, make your choices based on what you have learned and then work hard at RMAS.

Euclid

Old-Salt
No wind up - I just wondered if the Int Corps ONLY select from middle of the pack, which is what I thought Widow11 was saying.

I’ve only just sent off my medical form to apply to join so excuse if I come across as pretty ‘green’ (I am). An offer from Sandhurst is a long way off, but I like to do my research.
Well if that’s the case - the best junior officers are those that recognise that their role is to lead the soldiers under their command, be that gunners, loggies, sappers or indeed int corps. Chose something that interests you and that you have an aptitude for and success will follow.

And forget the top, middle and bottom third bollox. This is a product of the malign influence of certain Green Jackets over the decades, based on a mis-placed sense of superiority and a tedious, equally baseless snobbery.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
2nd Term I think?
Who is your chosen Regiment/Corps?
If the Regiment you want to go to does not except you you will get offered another regiment/corps, normally?
Accept...... Except...!?

Big difference in terms of the meaning of what you're trying to say.
This isn't just about being grammar police. Arguably the two words have opposite meanings in this sense.

chimera

LE
Re: the highlighted, is it possible to (before attending Sandhurst) visit and begin to create a 'relationship' (of sorts) with the preferred Regiment/Corps? Or if not, would it still be worthwhile to make contact (phone or email) and ask questions/show my interest?
It will certainly not do you any harm if the Regt/Corps "knows" you before you start the process. Otherwise one of the first things you will be asked at interview will be what do you know about your choice, and why you have never been in touch before. As in any interview/selection process any advantage you can get is a help!

Possibly a stupid question: If you were to be in the top third at RMAS would that negatively affect your chances at going to the Int Corps/would the Army try to influence you to choose a different direction other than Intelligence?
No.

No wind up - I just wondered if the Int Corps ONLY select from middle of the pack, which is what I thought Widow11 was saying.

I’ve only just sent off my medical form to apply to join so excuse if I come across as pretty ‘green’ (I am). An offer from Sandhurst is a long way off, but I like to do my research.
I didn’t say they only select from the middle of the pack - I said that the fiction that the Int Corps are ‘very very choosy’ was a lie. Which it is.

Just a pedantic note in passing, it's the Intelligence Corps and it's very, very choosy. From what one gathers, though, despite the competition for slots at Sandhurst, a career as a Direct Entry officer in the Corps isn't necessarily all that much fun, to judge by the outflow of youngish Captains and the inflow of transferee senior Captains and Majors.

While you do get to do *some* intelligence work, the bulk of that is done by the chaps in the ranks and the Late Entry cohort. DE officers also sometimes find the Intelligence Corps soldier something of a challenge to lead.
You can say that again!

JWT

Crow
Thanks so much for everyones help on this - it's been incredibly useful!

As I said earlier I've recently sent off my medical forms so whilst all this is a long way off, I do like to have as much information as possible as soon as possible. I'm now researching other military avenues (other than Int Corps) - my CSM from the recruitment office advised, as did all of you, that Int Corps is competitive and at RMAS you do also choose a backup; she suggested Signals.

Again, big thanks for everyones patience and help

JWT

Crow
It will certainly not do you any harm if the Regt/Corps "knows" you before you start the process. Otherwise one of the first things you will be asked at interview will be what do you know about your choice, and why you have never been in touch before. As in any interview/selection process any advantage you can get is a help!
Amazing, thank you! I'll get in touch with them today to introduce myself/ask some questions

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Amazing, thank you! I'll get in touch with them today to introduce myself/ask some questions
My son is awaiting Regtl Selection Boards soon. As others have said, get yourself invited to familiarisation visits. The cap-badge will look at you and you will look at them. There's a lot of emotional chemistry involved in choosing a cap-badge and fellow officers. Our lad has visited 4 different parts of the Army and it means he can narrow down his choices.

Latest Threads